Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:41 pm 

For starters, I'm concocting something that I may call (ZFT willing) Uncle Meat Stew.

So far, it goes like this.

Thaw out a pound of ground (beef, turkey, Boca, whatever).

Do something else 'till it thaws.

Now it's thawed.

Put it in a bowl, beat it to a pulp and break it up too, adding generous amounts of crushed red pepper, garlic powder and shallots (if you have them, and you should).

In the meantime, turn your burner to HI and oil up your largest frying pan.

As it's warming up, cut up a single white potato into small wedges (or dice it, if you prefer this to be more like hash) and oil up the remnants.

Get out your stereo, iPod, hi-fi, whatever, and put on Uncle Meat. Turn it up loud. It will inspire you to give the dish it's proper name. That's what it did for me anyway.

Oil's just this side of smoking, so stir in the meat and back off the flame a bit, while you slowly brown the pound of ground.

As soon as it's all about the same colour, add the potato pieces and throw in a bit more olive oil.

Add a can of diced tomatoes (approximate 14.5 oz) or use fresh tomatoes if you have them (I don't today, sadly) and a can of black beans or pinto beans (I'm using a little of both), some fresh green pepper (just a slice or two) and a hint of Vidalia onion.

Back off the burner a little more, add some oil and mix all the goodness together for about four minutes.

Add chili powder, ground black pepper, salt (if you're into that) and turn the burner down to two.

Cover it and let it simmer, stirring every five minutes or so, until the conclusion of "Cruising For Burgers", or until it looks right.

Then take the concoction off the burner, adding whatever toppings you enjoy with your stew or hash or whatever it's become in your kitchen.

Behold, Uncle Meat Stew!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:43 pm 

I almost forgot - it helps if you drink a beer at some point in the cooking. Liquid courage indeed!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:34 pm 

• rip open compostable bag of prima mi cucarrucha certifiably organically-grown fair-trade free-range
    dolphin-safe not-tested-on-animals bgh/transfat-free homestyle instant re-fried beans
  • add water [makes its own sauce]
  • eat w/chips
  • don't bend over if you are smart

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:35 pm 

Yes, but what do you call that?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:39 pm 

mendocino bean-o boogie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:52 pm 

YES!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:36 am 

Copied from my website:

Fried Spaghetti

This recipe has an interesting history. In his autobiography, Frank Zappa tells us he likes fried spaghetti. The best time to eat this, is breakfast. Whenever his children witnessed him eating this, they went "Yuck".
Being a Frank Zappa-fan who is very fond of cooking and experimenting, and who doesn't mind indigestion, I decided to find out what this meal might have been like. Zappa left us without recipe, but I managed to create something that tastes good enough to be enjoyed, but that looks like dog food.

This is by no means a reconstruction, but my way of making something edible for my own taste.

I do not hold myself responsible for any health complaints regarding this recipe.

Fried Spaghetti For One:
Necessities:
-Spaghetti for one: the diameter of your middle finger should be a good indicator.
-Flour, about 75 grams, but keep some more about in case you need it.
-Milk, about half a cup, but keep the package around you as you may mess up.
-Cayenne pepper
-Curry
-Thyme
-Pepper, salt
-Butter, approximately a square centimetre. No oil.
-Frying pan
-Cooker
-Wooden spoon

Time: 5-10 minutes.

In case your pan is not large enough to bake your spaghetti in, break it in pieces.
Put some butter in the pan, let it melt. Then throw the spaghetti in.You have to work fast from here. Spaghetti burns easily, so you'll have to stir it all the time, whilst adding your favourite herbs. After you added all herbs, put the milk and the flour in. Your concoction should smell of pancakes. Keep on stirring until your spaghetti is pleasantly brown. You're done! Serve with milk, tomato and cucumber. And a Rennie.

Trust me, this recipe tastes really nice, like a pancake, only lighter and sharper. It does look terrible, but remember looks can be deceiving, and in this case, they are.
Enjoy!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:38 am 

Actually fried pasta was quite common during the depression days of the 30's & 40's. I love left over pasta fried with eggs over easy and toast, maybe sprinkle a little parmesan over the top.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:38 am 

Yeah but when you make fried pasta, you're supposed to cook it first. This isn't pre-cooked.

Post subject: 25oct68
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:02 am 

Look! "They're making up their lines as they go along. Isn't it thrilling?"
"Boy I sure am hungry."

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:04 am 

Science is wonderful.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:14 pm 

I have a wonderful recipie for Burnt Weenie Sandwiches. It was excellent fare for the starving artist part of my life.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:18 pm 

I've done that a bit myself, but it wasn't so much a sandwich as it was a poor man's version of this Swedish treat, a tunnbrödsrulle:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/aree/3318682293/

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:43 am 

Do you mean this assemblage of foodstuffs, including shrimp salad, mashed potatoes and a poor old hot dog stuck in middle? (as featured on Anthony Bourdain) :P

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:17 pm 

That's the one. I'd eat it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:26 pm 

Thingfish Beer Batter

Ingredients

a coupla quarts o' beer
1 cups flour
2 large eggs
1 onion
salt and pepper
white fiiish ..
deep fryer
oil

Get a shallow bowl, fork, salt, pepper, etc.
Drink another beer. It must be just right.
To be sure beer is of the highest quality, drink another beer as fast as you can.
Repeat.

With fork, mix flour in a large fluffy bowl. Add 1 seaspoon of satl and imx again.
Meanwhile, make sure that the beer is of the finest quality– drink another one.

Add 2 arge leggs, 2 pinchers of epperp and mix till high. If yeg golk gets stuck in fork, just scrape it loose with a drewscriver.
Drink another beer, checking for tonscisticity.

Next sift 3 cups of pepper or salt (it really doesn’t matter which). Drink antoher reeb. Sift 1/2. Fold in chopped oninions and one babblespoon of bree, or whatever liquid you can find if you don’t want to waste beer. Wix mell.
Have another beeber.

Pour oil in turn and fry deep fater to higher. Dump fishthing into miexd tabber. Now dropped fillettettes into feep dat rfyer and kooc. Drink the rest of the beer, plug unfry ther and bo to ged.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:36 pm 

That was beautiful! :D

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:50 am 

Jesus Christ!! Yuck!
Here in Italy, you'd probably get arrested if you cooked fried spaghetti. I may be the one sueing you...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:39 am 

Ratatoskr wrote:
Jesus Christ!! Yuck!
Here in Italy, you'd probably get arrested if you cooked fried spaghetti. I may be the one sueing you...

I am wondering if you are familiar with ,Pasta Carbonara ? This is an Italian dish, that I believe FZ was fond of eating as a leftover in the morning for breakfast, and i am guessing, he threw the left over in a frying pan to heat it. So..... for what it's worth try it !!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:32 am 

I'm vegetarian, so that wouldn't be my dish.
But I suggest you try pasta and avocado.
Take a ripe avocado, Hass variety is best, and chop it. Meanwhile, gently stir fry either some garlic or an onion, keep fire very low, until is melted. You may put some chilli peppers if you want.
Put water to boil and, AFTER it has begun to, add salt, around a bunch for 5 litres. Put your pasta (I usually do it with spaghetti or linguine) in the water until is "al dente". We could discuss for hours what that means, which is basically not completely cooked. The inner core (if that is how you call it) should be still raw, for less than a millimeter. Anyway, it takes no more than 7-8 minutes, it depends by the pasta's size. "Al dente" means that you feel it when you bite it (dente=tooth), it doesn't disgustingly melt in your mouth as if it was an ice cream. Not crunchy though.
Squash the avocado and put it with your oil and garlic, a couple of minutes or so, not more. When the pasta is ready, drain it and put it in the pan with the sauce, stir it.
Serve with grated cheese if you want.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:34 am 

It is not themed, sorry.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:44 am 

FZ quotes about food:
I like fried spaghetti. I like Fried Anything. Whatever it is, FRY IT -- except if it's a hot dog. Then you stick a fork in it and burn it in the fire on top of the stove (yes, folks, the legendary Super-Delicious Burnt Weeny Sandwich). By the way, the best time to eat fried spaghetti is for breakfast.<br>The kids look at me eating this stuff and go "Yuck!"<br>I say, "This is DAD food. One day you're going to have to learn how to eat this shit, because you're going to have a house full of kids too, and the food is going to be gone, and you're going to open the icebox and say, 'Uh-oh, what is that stuff? (I believe from the Real FZ Book)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:29 am 

Side note: Reading Sabs's quotation of RFZB, I notice how badly it's been translated into Dutch. I'm guessing it's impossible to express the Zappa feel in my mother tongue.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:31 am 

That reminds me of http://www.evilmadscientist.com/article.php/hotdogs

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:31 am 

As you're Dutch, do you play Dominate Game?