Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 4:12 pm 

Does any of you have any comments on the festival or did any of you guys attend the festival back in 1969?

http://www.amazon.com/Woodstock-Directo ... 309&sr=8-1

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 4:49 am 

Was there, in reference to the movie, one brilliant band was not in the movie, The Keef Hartly Band, they were great, check out Keef's web site. Had they been in the movie the band would have been a big hit in the USA.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 5:11 am 

Well Neil Young wasnt in the movie either but he did ok :wink: i think i read that there was supposed to be som bonus footage of KHB in this new edition

By the way Bravo Sierra ive read about an incident involving Abbie Hoffman during the Who concert if you can remember(if you werent passed out in your tent :lol: ) did he interuppt the concert? and did pete really hit him with his guitar?

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 6:28 am 

Abbie Hoffman: "I think this is a pile of shit while John Sinclair rots in prison!"
Pete: "Fuck off! Fuck off my fucking stage!" (incident)
Pete: "I can dig it" (sarcastically)
The band plays "Do You Think It's Alright"
Pete "The next fucking person that walks across this stage is going to get fucking killed, alright?" (tunes guitar a little)
Pete "You can laugh, I mean it"

Oh, here it is (audio only) on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKKeXK5DKws

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 6:46 am 

jimmy the hindu wrote:
Well Neil Young wasnt in the movie either but he did ok :wink: i think i read that there was supposed to be som bonus footage of KHB in this new edition

By the way Bravo Sierra ive read about an incident involving Abbie Hoffman during the Who concert if you can remember(if you werent passed out in your tent :lol: ) did he interuppt the concert? and did pete really hit him with his guitar?

Neil Young already had big success with Buffalo Springfield, And yes Keef had good exposure with J Mahyall, But do you have any KHB albums? The Horn section was great the bass player needed cash so he joined Uriah Heep, but Miller Anderson brilliant guitar was great, check his web site. As for the Who, they did not screw around they flew in played a small set and left. By the way I believe they were the only band that demanded to be payed up front, or they would not go on.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 8:38 am 

BRAVO SIERRA wrote:
jimmy the hindu wrote:

Neil Young already had big success with Buffalo Springfield, And yes Keef had good exposure with J Mahyall, But do you have any KHB albums? The Horn section was great the bass player needed cash so he joined Uriah Heep, but Miller Anderson brilliant guitar was great, check his web site. As for the Who, they did not screw around they flew in played a small set and left. By the way I believe they were the only band that demanded to be payed up front, or they would not go on.

There's only one Keef Hartley song on the Woodstock Complete bootleg, Spanish Fly. It sounds pretty good.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 10:04 am 

Thanks for the info. I'll have to hear it.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 11:59 am 

Yeah i know of the KHB my mums boyfriend had a live album of theirs that he played all the time

Since you where there Bravo iwould like to know a little more about your memories about the festival what were you doing at that time in your life and what music you listened to or bands that you wanted to see at the festival...and of course were you one of those who paid? :wink:

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 12:24 pm 

if you look on Amazon there are vids of Eddie Kramer. He has added overdubs and "fixed" the original audio. Fuck that.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 10:52 pm 

Yeah that kind of sucked thankfully it was only some minimal overdubbs on some of the bonus songs..but still yeah it sucks..what kind of idiot would put studio overdubs on live recordings?!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:29 am 

jimmy the hindu wrote:
Yeah i know of the KHB my mums boyfriend had a live album of theirs that he played all the time

Since you where there Bravo iwould like to know a little more about your memories about the festival what were you doing at that time in your life and what music you listened to or bands that you wanted to see at the festival...and of course were you one of those who paid? :wink:

paid 6 bucks, got there late, and the big thing is how uncomfortable it was to be there. If you got up close to the stage it was bad cause you could not make it any where to take a leak. Also the rain soaked every thing. At the time pink floyd and king crimson were some of my favorites, but anything with good horns I liked. Not really popular at the time.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:31 am 

jimmy the hindu wrote:
..what kind of idiot would put studio overdubs on live recordings?!

My....what wryly ironic humour! :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:22 am 

Yea, I can put the 40th anniversary DVD next to the 25th anniversary VHS. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:45 am 

I almost made the trip to Woodstock from Chicago. A good friend of mine had tickets and was running away from home (I was 17 at the time). But, in the end, I just couldn't come up with a good enough reason to run away. Dang.

But, my friend did go. Later he migrated to NYC, got fucked up on drugs, and nearly died. A little yin, a little yang.

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:41 pm 

jimmy the hindu wrote:
..what kind of idiot would put studio overdubs on live recordings?!

Old Uncle Frankie?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:16 pm 

Ronny's Noomies wrote:
I almost made the trip to Woodstock from Chicago. A good friend of mine had tickets and was running away from home (I was 17 at the time). But, in the end, I just couldn't come up with a good enough reason to run away. Dang.

But, my friend did go. Later he migrated to NYC, got fucked up on drugs, and nearly died. A little yin, a little yang.

Good thing he wasn't friends with Jim Carroll. All his friends died, died.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:33 am 

Ordered it now best spent 48 $ ever"" :D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:37 am 

Well... recieved it today. watched trough the bonus stuff..im very dissapointed that there were no unreleased clips of CSN &Y or sly and the family :(..instead there was this long jam with Grateful Dead that NEVER SEEMED TO STOP!! :evil:...i hope that the reason they didnt release the Csn&y stuff is that they are saving it to some proper dvd release :)

And sorry bravo no keef hartley..there were three boring songs with creedence adn stuff by the who that is already available...so that means dont throw away your woodstock diaries Dvd..And no commentary!!?? thats just fucked up. But for the cheap price i still give it 3 out of 5

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:34 am 

Dang, no Keef Hartley, I just listened to Time is Near, go get it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:44 am 

Does the new DVD include any of Johnny Winter's performance?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:28 am 

SPACEBROTHER wrote:

Yes. "Mean Town Blues".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6fXt-tB9ls

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:24 am 

just plain doug wrote:
SPACEBROTHER wrote:

Yes. "Mean Town Blues".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6fXt-tB9ls

Sweet.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:17 am 

jimmy the hindu wrote:
...instead there was this long jam with Grateful Dead that NEVER SEEMED TO STOP!!...

Hear hear! I never cared for their meandering noodling. I wish too, there had been more CSNY and I think I would have been more happy seeing Incredible String Band instead of Greatful Dead in the film.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:15 pm 

I'm guessing the one that goes on and on by the Dead is "Turn On Your Lovelight". I think I've only listened to it once. I think their version of "Mama Tried" is pretty okay.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:06 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
I'm guessing the one that goes on and on by the Dead is "Turn On Your Lovelight".

Oh, yeah.