Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: 1969 songbook LP
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:09 pm 

FYI...
Fun album, a taste of the times, in a double LP sampler 1969. I think I got mine on a cutout from a 1969 FZ lp "inner sleeve" cutout.
...in case anyone is interested....

Post subject: Re: 1969 songbook LP
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:39 pm 

baddy wrote:

That's how I got mine, in 1970. Which led to buying a bunch of those "Loss Leaders". Hell, at $2 for each double lp....who could resist?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:04 am 

2 bucks is hard to beat back then. We looked at those combination albums like they were too cheap, didn't have just the one artist on it that we liked. So we'd pass. They were below us. They weren't hip enough for our tastes. Boy was that dumb! :roll:
I was snowed in one time and all I had was one combination album and FO & AF. The two artist on the on album where Jimi Hendrix & Otis Redding at Monterey pop. Great album too. Saved me from going nuts! I already knew all the lyrics to FO & AF, so that album was a saving grace. No tv, no radio reception except at night after 10:00pm or so, no snow shoes, no snowplows, just snow for daze & daze & Krusty's pancakes with Krusty's pancakes to eat. No books, just home and garden mags. It snowed 8ft on top of a two ft. base, by the time it stopped snowing for a whole day. Talk about digging out! More like digging straight up!
To think of all the ones I just gave away just hurts now. What's that Rod Stwert sings, "I wish I knew what I know now, when I was younger". Thats about how I feel reading this thread!!!
How Could I be Such A Fool? :cry:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:16 pm 

I was in high school, at the time, and spending money was my $5-a-week allowance, so cheap albums were my music source. That, and getting 10 albums for one cent, from The Record Club of Canada.
'Sides, each double Loss Leader had at least one song by a known group. The Mothers, Alice Cooper, Jethro Tull, Deep Purple. And lots of goodies I had never heard of....The Fugs, The G.T.O.'s, Wild Man Fisher...heck, the first song I heard from Capt. Beefheart was on one of those albums (Ella Guru). Not counting the Woodstock DVD, my only song by Grateful Dead is on one of those albums ("I don't know, but I been told, in the heat of the sun a man died of cold...)Still have 'em all, too.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:43 pm 

"Original songs for sale...sir would you like to hear an original song for a dime...I swear to god it's original..."

The inner sleeve from Uncle Meat...