Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:26 pm 

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/17 ... ty-project

Fucking hell, this is going to be so sweet!

And in less than a day, fans have already pledged more than 10% of the total amount required to fund this project! :twisted:

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:23 am 

This could be a great band the brilliant Rayford griffin on drums...http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... 8758,d.aWw

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:22 am 

Aspen Colorado's gonna be a happy town come September.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:25 am 

I'd like to know more about this project. Particularly, who's in the band/studio and if there's a good guitarist playing on it. JLP loses his balls when he doesn't have a good guitar soloist in the band, imo. Looks like they're well on the way!

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:58 am 

Ronny's Noomies wrote:
I'd like to know more about this project. Particularly, who's in the band/studio and if there's a good guitarist playing on it. JLP loses his balls when he doesn't have a good guitar soloist in the band, imo. Looks like they're well on the way!

There's a guitar player. Jamie Dunlap.

http://ponty.com/news/get/news/new-anderson-ponty-band

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:47 am 

As a long-time fan of Yes and JLP, I'll be the first to say that this has a huge potential to be some sort of Schmaltz Apex Convergence. There is a possibility that both JA and JLP will be at the top of their writing and performing games with interesting vocals, excellent harmonic structures and solos to bring the house down... but my 2 cents are guessing that it won't be.
JA's lyrics have sucked for decades and there have been multiple threads here that have discussed JLP's limitations. I think the best that I could hope for is that it will be pretty. Ya know, new material with JA singing about a flower or sunset with JLP filling out the harmonies and matching solos. 2nd best would be that they do a bunch of covers or old material, which would likely be worth the ticket to the hardcore.
So, while JA keeps trying to find his universal soul by gargling holistic idealism, I have to assume that JLP has a will to follow JA down that path. Otherwise, what would he provide? Counterpoint?
While I really hope for the best here, I am not optimistic.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:11 pm 

The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
As a long-time fan of Yes and JLP, I'll be the first to say that this has a huge potential to be some sort of Schmaltz Apex Convergence. There is a possibility that both JA and JLP will be at the top of their writing and performing games with interesting vocals, excellent harmonic structures and solos to bring the house down... but my 2 cents are guessing that it won't be.
JA's lyrics have sucked for decades and there have been multiple threads here that have discussed JLP's limitations. I think the best that I could hope for is that it will be pretty. Ya know, new material with JA singing about a flower or sunset with JLP filling out the harmonies and matching solos. 2nd best would be that they do a bunch of covers or old material, which would likely be worth the ticket to the hardcore.
So, while JA keeps trying to find his universal soul by gargling holistic idealism, I have to assume that JLP has a will to follow JA down that path. Otherwise, what would he provide? Counterpoint?
While I really hope for the best here, I am not optimistic.

This is all we know so far. From JLP.com

NEW "ANDERSON PONTY BAND"

Friday, July 25, 2014 - 11:22pm
I'm very excited to announce a new project with legendary singer Jon Anderson cofounder and lead vocalist of YES. We have been writing and working together for a few months and we are forming THE ANDERSON PONTY BAND. We will be performing my classic tunes and adding vocals to some of them to feature a new dimension. We are also doing new arrangements of classic YES and Jon material and writing some new tunes. The band is partly composed of musicians who toured and recorded great albums with me, on keyboards Wally Minko, bass Baron Browne and drums Rayford Griffin. Then on guitar and working on the arrangements is Jamie Dunlap who has collaborated with Jon before. He is a television and movie score composer and producer most notable for doing all the music for South Park. We will be rehearsing, recording, filming and playing a show at the Wheeler Opera House in Aspen, Colorado in September. As part of this unique band launch we are reaching out to the fans to become stakeholders. We are launching a Kickstarter campaign at 2PM in NYC on July 25th. You can become part of the core by signing up. Go to http://bit.ly/apband2014. I look forward to seeing you in Aspen and on tour around the world early in 2015 ! Jean Luc Ponty

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:21 pm 

Yeah, some revisited material, but that new dimension... hmmm

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:26 pm 

My first thought was "couldn't Jon Anderson afford to bankroll this? I though he made quite a bit of money with Yes". Maybe, maybe not. I'm hoping it's the best of both worlds.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:14 pm 

I was thinking about that too. I can't imagine that either of these guys is hurting for dough. But if people want to help them out, good for them. A project with widely known musical entities would have to be special to get my buck.

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:14 pm 

I don't dig ponty / sugar cane at all.
Aside from edwins violin on SUNPYG, I skip all the FZ violin solos.
No like :P
TT

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:35 pm 

JA's lyrics have sucked for decades and there have been multiple threads here that have discussed JLP's limitations.

This show will be good to people who want to believe it's good. What they play/sing won't even matter.

Or perhaps it will rearrange your liver to the solid mental grace.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:33 pm 

downer mydnyte wrote:
JA's lyrics have sucked for decades and there have been multiple threads here that have discussed JLP's limitations.

This show will be good to people who want to believe it's good. What they play/sing won't even matter.

Or perhaps it will rearrange your liver to the solid mental grace.

That happened to a cousin of mine. He just had to change his diet a little.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:38 pm 

So, while JA keeps trying to find his universal soul by gargling holistic idealism

You couldn't be further from the truth. He's using warm salt water.

>You don't.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:51 pm 

Shit, I can't argue with that, it's like you know the guy!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:53 am 

:lol: Maybe they'd be better off writing pop songs.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:36 am 

Hang in there Jon!

Jon Anderson's facebook
19 mins · ago
Honestly peeps re Kickstarter it's all about the music, I've had some negative comments, and it hurts, ...you don't have to if you don't want, it's just part of being very open to invite people who would like to be part of the adventure, rather than waiting for a download or CD or whatever, just to connect, send 50 cents if you like, or your best wishes, ...it's just a way of connecting...I seem to be getting in 'hot water' ...maybe it's time to just get on with some new music...love and 'Light'....jon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:46 pm 

backers
$36,623
pledged of $95,000 goal
days to go

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:36 pm 

Dear Jon,
The strength of the meeting lies with you. Wait all the more regard your past. Stand on hills of long forgotten yesterdays. Pass amongst your memories told returning ways. Don't surround yourself with yourself. Move on back two squares.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:16 pm 

downer mydnyte wrote:
Dear Jon,
The strength of the meeting lies with you. Wait all the more regard your past. Stand on hills of long forgotten yesterdays. Pass amongst your memories told returning ways. Don't surround yourself with yourself. Move on back two squares.

And, but, also:
Tell the Moon-dog, tell the March-hare

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:22 pm 

backers
$43,703
pledged of $95,000 goal
days to go

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:10 am 

I liked, and still like, lots of the old Yes albums. Lots of exiting stuff going on there. I hated the singing though. And time has not been kind to it imo.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:36 pm 

backers
$46,345
pledged of $95,000 goal
days to go

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:59 pm 

How much did you put up, DB?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:09 am 

downer mydnyte wrote:
Dear Jon,

May the initials of loving care be permanently adhered to your instant karma.