Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Getting into WEEN
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:00 am 

Hya. What's the best from these guys? I'm listening to Chocolate and Cheese, it has its moments :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:11 am 

Ah yes, Ween... lots of fans on this forum. They've been remarkably consisitent in quality - haven't really put out a sub-par album yet.

Chocolate and Cheese is a good place to start, so looks like you're on your way. Definitely make The Mollusk one of your next ones. Very rich, full sound, powerful songs, lovely melodies. If you like your Ween music weird (or "brown" as they call it), Pure Guava is another favorite of mine.

For an example of their live skills (and they ARE a very different band live), try the Live in Chicago DVD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:13 am 

for a lot of people the live stuff is the way in. The studio releases can be kinda rough for people who are used to a certain . . . plasticity in their polish.
SO,
live in chicago dvd
paintin the town brown '90'-'98

studio
the mollusk
shinola v 1
quebec
my favorite: the pod

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:20 am 

Third the Chicago DVD. I also must mention that among hardcore fans the Mollusk is often referred to as their "best" album. I like some other better (Pod, Pure Guava), but Mollusk is a damn fine release. The also have a new album due out Oct. 23, La Cucuracha. It rocks. You should buy it when it comes out.

"Ya like horses?"

Last edited by pygmy stallion on Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:00 pm 

Pure Guava is their best I think. It's hard to get into but when you do, it's amazing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:15 pm 

oyster wrote:
Pure Guava is their best I think. It's hard to get into but when you do, it's amazing.

That was my first, right when it was released. No one had ever heard of them and I listened to it and was immediately impressed. It's one of those in my "Albums From Mars" category which also includes "The Faust Tapes" by Faust, "Mother of all Saints" by Thinking Fellers Union Local 282, and "Medallion Animal Carpet" by Bob Drake.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:24 pm 

Haha! I loved it the first time I heard it too! :D

I've been told it's hard to get into by others, so I supposed other people found it that way.

Rastafrarian!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:29 pm 

oyster wrote:

Rastafrarian!

Reggaejunkiejew!

(others: just playin' along)

Edit: and let's not forget the noise collage (and longest track), "Mourning Glory", that sits right at about 3/4 of the way through the album.. I think that track more than any other indicated to me that I was going to have to be a Ween fan. I bought their first 2 albums and loved them equally. When Chocolate and Cheese came out, I almost balked thinking it was too commercial, but on the 2nd listen I saw what genius was going on.

C&C was essentially a transitional album between their lo-fi beginnings and their pop-masterpiece future.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:14 pm 
Banned

Live In Chicago is definitely where you want to start. But every Ween album is essential so get em all. Easily one the best bands to come out in the last 15-20 years. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:03 pm 

LONG LIVE THE BOOGNISH!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:16 pm 

The only Ween song I like is "The Homo Rainbow".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTpmqm8b0KI

Yes, I'm goin' to the love-in to sit & play
my bongos in the dirt.

Last edited by zappagirl on Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:17 pm 

feetlightup wrote:
Ah yes, Ween... lots of fans on this forum. They've been remarkably consisitent in quality - haven't really put out a sub-par album yet.

Really? I'm a big Ween fan, but it was damn hard to find a fair amount of merit in God Ween Satan for me, though. I can get a buzz off 1/2 the album, but the rest is kinda... meh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:26 pm 

zappagirl wrote:

SHOCK! (well, a little, anyway). All this time I figured I didn't have anything by Ween, but I guess I do...on my Live Chef Aid CD (South Park).
What an insidious group!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:09 pm 
Banned

De Mask wrote:
feetlightup wrote:

Really? I'm a big Ween fan, but it was damn hard to find a fair amount of merit in God Ween Satan for me, though. I can get a buzz off 1/2 the album, but the rest is kinda... meh.

Are you fucking insane? That album is phenomenal!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:11 pm 
Banned

zappagirl wrote:

O.K., an answer like that only begs one question:Is that the only Ween song you've ever heard? Because that isn't even close to one of their best songs. :? Man, Zappagirl, I thought you were cool. :roll: (your still alright I guess :wink: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:18 pm 

J.C.GreasyVII wrote:
zappagirl wrote:

O.K., an answer like that only begs one question:Is that the only Ween song you've ever heard? Because that isn't even close to one of their best songs. :? Man, Zappagirl, I thought you were cool. :roll: (your still alright I guess :wink: )

No, not the only Ween song I've heard, just my favorite. And I am extremely cool. :wink:

Yes, I'm goin' to the love-in to sit & play
my bongos in the dirt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:25 pm 

Just bought Ween's Mollusk. Sorry, don't like it at all, it's just a bunch of over produced simple folk songs. Is all their stuff like this or similar? If so, I won't be buying any more. I must say I'm disappointed after hearing everybody going on about this band.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:30 am 

polydigm wrote:
Just bought Ween's Mollusk. Sorry, don't like it at all, it's just a bunch of over produced simple folk songs. Is all their stuff like this or similar? If so, I won't be buying any more. I must say I'm disappointed after hearing everybody going on about this band.

All of them have a different flavor to them - Mollusk is almost sort of a nautical concept album of sorts, so the "overproduced folk song" effect is intentional and not especially typical of their albums, which may be one of the reasons its favored by fans. If you don't like that one, you *might* like White Pepper, which is also well produced but a little more diverse (there's even a Steely Dan-like track on there!).

My wife doesn't like Ween and I can't figure out why. I guess you definitely have to be open to the "middle aged nerd music fan" approach to music making, which fortunately suits me to a tee.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:07 am 

Thanks everyone for your opinion. I might get Pure Guava next, sounds exciting. I liked chocolate and Cheese but it feels like just a succession of pastiche songs sometimes. Is there anything a bit different. I heard there was some conceptuality to other albums. Anyway, I always prefer creativity to simple satyre. I read this at Allmusic

Quote:
a prodigiously talented and deliriously odd duo whose work traveled far beyond the constraints of parody and novelty into the heart of surrealist ecstasy

and that sounds great. So, Mister could you please help my pony?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:16 am 

polydigm wrote:

yah, polyd, those ween guys, you either get em or you don't :wink:
but they drive all over the map. from pink floyd sounds to the grateful dead, from the Allman's and Led Zep to sounds like DEVO or straight pop love songs and real low down funk, they can do it all, and then some. They even have a country record done with a bunch of old school crack nashville players , 12 great country classics (1996) -- there's 10 songs on that one. Alternately, the new record is definitely hispanic sounding.

they started out pretty much as a punk band: much of their aesthetic stems from that attitude, so for them to branch out in all the directions that they have is remarkable in itself. I've been a fan for 15 years and they haven't disappointed yet. Well, there was that one time they cancelled a string of dates out here but then came back the next year and played a 3and a half hour show . . .

I still say tho that live is the way in for them. you can get their live records and a couple out of print items on their website. the vinyl reissue of the country band 'Live in Toronto' is great. Don't kid yerself :mrgreen:
the dvd is the most representative of what I've seen.

you want more free stuff? try youtube or if you bittorrent, www.browntracker.com and get a concert from the mid-late '90's. If you still don't like ween, it might not be the one for you 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:24 am 

RUI wrote:
Thanks everyone for your opinion. I might get Pure Guava next, sounds exciting. I liked chocolate and Cheese but it feels like just a succession of pastiche songs sometimes. Is there anything a bit different. I heard there was some conceptuality to other albums. Anyway, I always prefer creativity to simple satyre. I read this at Allmusic

Quote:
a prodigiously talented and deliriously odd duo whose work traveled far beyond the constraints of parody and novelty into the heart of surrealist ecstasy

and that sounds great. So, Mister could you please help my pony?

yep, Pure Guava sounds right and quebec might do ya too.

I have this problem with this kind of exercise. I don't listen to the records hardly at all anymore. Just the live stuff as they have never had a problem with folks who tape their shows, so they're really all available. As the years go by, people collect their favorites and put them in multi-cd comps. If you bittorrent, 'rotten cheese' is a fine live record of their first real world tour. six cd's worth. As good as the official live record paintin the town brown.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:39 am 

polydigm wrote:

Just put it on every once in awhile. It will get to you. Ween is not like Zappa, much more subtle and subversive. And if you think the Mollusk is too "pop" or "overproduced" you should def. check out Pure Guava and The Pod. No worrys of overproduction on those albums.

"Ya like horses?"

Post subject: WEEN
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:53 am 
Banned

ALERT!!!

Project/Object featuring Napoleon Murphy Brock
14 October 2007 (this Sunday)
World Cafe Live
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
doors 6:00 - show 7:30 - all ages
Opener: Crescent Moon with Dave of Ween and P/O drummer Eric Slick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:43 am 

Ween is proud to announce the release of their first new album in 4 years ...
La Cucaracha on Rounder Records.

Official release date is Oct. 23rd. Get yours first by pre-ordering from Rounder Records, and you can also get a great deal on an exclusive CD/Tshirt bundle for only $24.99. Go to http://www.rounder.com/ween to order

I just ordered mine with the T-shirt. That's a great deal. Shipping is free if you choose "ground". They're located in MA.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:03 pm 

I'm there, dude.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next