Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Boss
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:06 am 

Who's been watching this show? I love the theme song performed by Robert Plant, it fits the show perfectly and really sets the mood every time I watch it. Who believes that what they're portraying is really the way business is done in the US and in particular in Chicago?

Kelsey Grammer is playing a blinder. This is really good quality drama.

Post subject: Re: Boss
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:16 pm 

Am I really the only one watching this?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:59 pm 

only seen ads, never seen it.
People I know have mentioned Newsroom - I saw the pilot + thought it was good that it would show how some of the 'bubble mentality' fosters + can feed on itself. Glad it's there but don't think people really watch it. It seems more and more apparent that people are doing more things than sit around and watch tv even if it's really good, compared with a generation or two ago. There are more options, more ways to access + less hegemony in certain media.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:31 pm 

I watch a lot less TV myself these days, so I'm being pretty selective about what I do watch. This is not because I've moved to getting my entertainment elsewhere though. I'm doing a lot of study and I just don't don't have time to indulge in fiction even if it is pertinent.

Newsroom is quite radical, for official TV that is. It's interesting that they're using a person who grew up as a Republican without questioning it, who's experiencing some kind of renaissance, to question what a lot of them stand for.

Boss is quite radical in the sense that it's portraying the true brutality of US politics. People who want to bitch and carry on about the difference between Democrats and Republicans in huge detail are missing the basic point which I suppose is harder to tell apart in the US than it is in Australia.

The two big parties here are Labour and Liberal. Labour gets a lot of it's funding and structure from the Union Movement. For example, back in the eighties, Bob Hawke was the leader of the ACTU, the Australian Council of Trade Unions before he went on to become the Prime Minister of Australia. The Liberals are a party whose roots go back to the industrial revolution. In nineteenth century Australia, by pushing for universal suffrage the industrial capitalists believed they could overcome the traditional landed capitalists in parliament. And, they were right. The typical liberal has lots of his own money and many are big wigs in big companies.

This does make the two parties different, even though the basic system is capitalism and parliament doesn't end up making a huge difference to that. I could no sooner vote Liberal than I could cut one of my arms off. This does not mean that I'm impressed with the Labour Party.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:59 pm 

Haven't seen, or been aware of, Boss or Newsroom.