Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri May 27, 2016 8:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:38 pm 

Paul McCartney Leaving Capitol Records After 40 Years

Exclusive: Paul McCartney is splitting with the record company he’s called home for most of the last 43 years.

Except for a brief break in the early 1980s when he skipped to Columbia Records and then back, McCartney has been with Capitol since the Beatles’ first album in 1964.

But he’s leaving, effective immediately, and taking his entire back catalog of solo albums with him. That’s everything including bestsellers like "Band on the Run," "McCartney," "Ram," "Flowers in the Dirt," "Tug of War" and his critically acclaimed most recent album, "Chaos and Creation in the Backyard," nominated for four Grammys, including Album of the Year, in 2006.

That much is news. This much has also been reported: McCartney will be the first artist signed with Starbucks’ new record label. News of the label and McCartney’s potential involvement were first suggested in Sunday’s New York Post.

But I can tell you exclusively: It’s a done deal. It will be announced this week. McCartney will first offer just his new album to Starbucks for a fall release. The rest of the catalog he will sit on for the moment.

Capitol, I can also tell you, is not happy. They are part of the ailing EMI Records empire. EMI, like Warner Music, is suffering and could collapse at any time. This news is a terrible blow to them.

"They knew it was coming," a source says. "They did nothing for the 'Chaos' album, and they were reminded that McCartney’s entire contract was ending. Look, they did nothing for the Beatles’ 'Love' album this winter. It just sold on its own. Everything they do is outdated."

McCartney’s exit from Capitol is interesting in many ways. Every since the Beatles joined Capitol, all their albums and all their solo albums have come from the label.

Capitol’s association with the group since they broke up in 1970 has always been key. McCartney’s Wings albums were with the label, as was John Lennon’s "Imagine," George Harrison’s "All Things Must Pass" and Ringo Starr’s "Ringo!" Even Sean Lennon has released a Capitol album.

But all that may change now that McCartney has flown the coop. Starbucks has proven to be a much more effective seller of CDs and DVDs than record stores, thanks to their amazing retailing and branding.

Starbucks customers have come to regard non-coffee product merchandise as hip and attractive, while record companies have been unable to reach customers at all in recent years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:15 pm 

In this day and age is Paul going to sell a ton of records anyway?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:46 pm 

starbucks will soon own everything, including the hair on your head, and there is nothing you can do about it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:48 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
That about sums it up, Calvi. But there is a kinship there: Starbucks' coffees taste about on a par with sewage and battery acid but still somehow it continues to enjoy its Yuppie Prestige. Now, isn't Sir Paul's music on about that same level?

It's like Starbucks' coffee but with a lot of sugar.

--Bat

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:19 pm 

I still love the sound of the bass in this song,

"Youd think that people would have had enough of starbucks coffee.
But I look around me and I see it isnt so.
Some people wanna fill the world with starbucks coffee.
And whats wrong with that?
Id like to know, cause here I go again
I love you, I love you,
I love you, I love you,
I cant explain the feelings plain to me, say cant you see?
Ah, she gave me more, she gave it all to me
Now cant you see,
Whats wrong with that
I need to know, cause here I go again
I love you, I love you

'Fee doesnt come in a minute,
Sometimes it doesnt come at all
I only know that when Im in it
It isnt starbucks, no, it isnt starbucks, 'fee isnt starbucks at all.

How can I tell you about my loved one?

(I love you)
(I love you)"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:31 pm 

This just in... In a related story the members of Air Supply have just inked a lucrative deal with Tasters Choice.
Free samples will be handed out at future concerts in an effort to help the audience stay awake :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:34 pm 

Milton Bradley wrote:
This just in... In a related story the members of Air Supply have just inked a lucrative deal with Tasters Choice.
Free samples will be handed out at future concerts in an effort to help the audience stay awake :P

LOL!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:50 pm 

This reminds of the fantastic products offered by Starbucks in the future in the film Idiocracy, most of which involves sex, great film.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:30 am 

Milton Bradley wrote:

HaHA! Good one!
I'm trying to come up with a McCartney/coffee joke based on the "Get Back" lyric (Get Back, Joe-Joe), but it just ain't happening.

I like Paul though (yes, even now), so I wish him well with this new venture. I kinda associate Starbucks with cheesy yuppie values, but hey, that's his market innit?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:20 am 

wheatgurm wrote:
Milton Bradley wrote:

LOL!

What he said! :mrgreen:

vcf

Revel in your otherness. MK

STILL pissed at Tipper. VCF

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:52 pm 

n if you don't like Paul's latest rekid, u can always use it as a coaster fer yer coffee receptacle. :lol:

they never won't

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:11 am 

calvin2hikers wrote:

Actually I bet McCartney still shifts a lot of unit. No body is selling in the numbers they used too but artists like McCartney have a large dedicated fan base and the back catalogue alone must be worth a mint.

They don't get much bigger than McCartney.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:13 am 

calvin2hikers wrote:

Doesn't have to.....just like the Stones, in this day and age, he makes a mint just with his concerts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:20 pm 

Dances wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:

Doesn't have to.....just like the Stones, in this day and age, he makes a mint just with his concerts.

I read somewhere that Mick Jagger's solo album sold a whopping 500 copies worldwide upon release.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:34 am 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:28 am 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:10 am 

Starbucks is shit. Over priced burnt flavor turds. People are fucking stupid for paying that kind of of money for that crap.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:12 pm 

Funny, I thought Sir Paul would of signed with Lipton's new Green Tea label. :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:36 pm 

You should have seen me with the mocha man
I had some money and I got a grande
Just in the nick of time I looked at the brand

I was drinking Frappuccino
It was so hot I had to blow
Up popped the foam on to the window

Let's go let's go let's go let's go
Down to Starbucks for expensive bad joe
Small cup big cup oh let's go
Take me back to my own farm
I'd rather smell my underarm

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:03 am 

Starbucks' plain red holiday cups stir up controversy

This year's holiday season red cups at Starbucks have stirred up critics who accuse the company of waging a war on Christmas.

Starbucks said it removed "symbols of the season" used in the past, which have included reindeer and ornaments, in favor of a simple, two-toned red cup.

When the cups rolled out in late October, Starbucks (SBUX) vice president Jeffrey Fields said the company "wanted to usher in the holidays with a purity of design that welcomes all of our stories."

Joshua Feuerstein, a former pastor who calls himself a "social media personality," took exception.

He posted a video to Facebook on November 5 that went viral. Feuerstein criticizes Starbucks for removing "Christmas from their cups because they hate Jesus."

Feuerstein encouraged customers to say "Merry Christmas" instead of their names in order to "trick" baristas into writing the phrase on the cup. He said to use "#MerryChristmasStarbucks" to post photos online.

In an email with CNNMoney on Sunday, Feuerstein noted that his video has had more than 10 million views.

"I think Starbucks has gotten the message that the Christian majority in this country has awakened and are demanding that our voice be heard," he wrote.

In response to Feuerstein's video, Starbucks said in a statement Sunday that it tries "to create a culture of belonging, inclusion and diversity."

The cup is meant to be a "blank canvas" that encourages "customers to tell their Christmas stories in their own way," Starbucks said.

Pictures of cups with "Merry Christmas" written instead of customers' names sprang up on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook.

Others defended Starbucks or criticized Feuerstein's reaction.

Some of the video's most-popular comments point out that the company sells gift cards with "Merry Christmas" written on them and sells a "Christmas Blend" coffee.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:39 am 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:38 am 

^ one of my favorite verses.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:08 am