Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 12:34 am 

I can't get the link to work (I tried pasting the whole thing in my browser, but my RA-player says it's not in RealAudio format), but I definitely think it's a cool idea. :)<br><br>I'm a fan of hiphop artists like A Tribe Called Quest, Jurassic 5, People Under The Stairs, and it really would be neat if they sampled some Zappa, as long as it is done with some respect. Indeed it could get beat diggers to notice his music.<br><br>For example, I think the drum break in 'The Gumbo Variations' could be used in a hiphop or drum and bass project (perhaps slowed down a bit), and surprisingly it hasn't even been used before, as far as I know. <br><br>Good luck, I'm really looking forward to hearing some results. It's definitely a nice idea.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 8:50 am 

<br>[quote author=white_person link=board=general&num=1032681832&start=0#12 date=09/22/02 at 11:47:03]<br>Columbia Records did this with some of Miles Davis' early '70s stuff, too, on "Panthalassa: the remixes". I had hoped that this would have become a continuing series of releases. [/quote] <br><br>The Davis album was remixed by Bill Laswell, in fact he did another one with dub versions of Bob Marley-classics. I have both, excellent albums and a good example of what a remix album could sound like: respectful to the originals but full of new ideas. Of course, purists hate these...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 5:49 am 

Sounds really interesting I'll try the link. I'm a sound engineer by trade- mainly live stuff- and a few years ago I was working in a R&B/Hip Hop club that use to have live bands playing and a couple of times I got up and rapped "Dumb All Over" over whatever they we're playing and people loved it.<br>I always wanted to try "Trouble Every Day" too.<br>But there is certainly a lot of great drum and bass lines to be had from FZ material!!<br>Good Luck<br>Love the Bill Laswell albums too

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 9:45 pm 

Well said, leejacobs..<br><br>I'm not a big fan of hip-hop music, I have listened to a little bit of it that my kids are into. I just haven't found the groove.<br><br>Over the summer they drug me to the 'Unlimited Sunshine Tour' and I got a chance to see, De La Soul ,, I must say, I was twitchin' 'round and havana good time..<br>~<br>we are the party people.<br>

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2002 1:51 am 

Quote:
Perhaps to be lumped into a group of "people who have no taste" is what I really find worthy of calling into question, for if I truly had "no taste", I would have never been inclined to come to a board about Frank Zappa to begin with.
<br><br>Well said, that comment really ticked me off.  >:(<br><br>I'll be the first to agree that a lot of hiphop music, especially the mainstream stuff like Puff Daddy or Will Smith, is crap: looping up a well known top 40 hit by the Police or Stevie Wonder isn't exactly what I call 'creative music'. But still: there is a lot of worthwhile and original rap music out there, using samples from records and artists that would have been totally forgotten if it weren't for producers bringing it to a new generation of listeners. A lot of people my age discovered artists like James Brown, P-Funk or Curtis Mayfield because their music was used in new ways by hiphop artists, and I definitely think that's a good thing. <br><br>Samples can be used for creating viable new music. As said above: check out some of the productions by Pete Rock, Large Professor or even DJ Shadow.<br><br>(I'm sorry if the point I'm trying to make is obscured by my poor command of the English language, but I just had to reply...)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2002 1:38 am 

<br>[quote author=Chris_Federico link=board=general&num=1032681832&start=15#26 date=09/28/02 at 13:52:39]<br> Try not to hate me forever now.<br>[/quote] Don't worry, after all: this is a discussion board and there wouldn't be anything left to discuss if we'd all agree on everything. ;) <br><br>Indeed, your book on FZ looks really interesting, that must have been a lot of work. I'm certainly going to read it as soon as I'm finished with Ben Watson's book (now, that's a tough one to read, and that's coming from someone who already had to learn all about Adorno's theories in college...)<br>