Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: High end stereo
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:55 pm 

I was thinking about going with a McIntosh 4100 and some AR 3a's or some really pristine 2ax but for sure I will get more AR speakers I also want some AR6 for remote in my bedroom when I am using the Living room system. (I already have a decent stereo in my room) I also thought about a sweet vintage Sherwood tube amp like an S-8000 or a Dynaco.

I have an (Elac) Benjamin Mirachord 10=H that has a ground issue which I will get fixed but why stop there. I could use it as my changer when I listen to multiple records on phono 2 but what about a sweet vintage turntable? Linn? Or maybe a Systemdek? I am really fond of Micro Seiki though.

I have plenty of time to think it over but eventually I will be in the market next fall I think.

what do you guys have? anyone like old vintage stuff like I do.

Galoot I know you're out there.

Post subject: Re: High end stereo
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:55 am 

I use and old McIntosh 2105 amp , circa 1972 , a McIntosh C32V pre-amp , Thorens TD-145 and a pair of Definitive BP10's. LOVE IT ! ... BUT wish I could afford a TUBE Mac :cry:

As far as sound , I haven't found much new stuff that can compete with the older tech that I have for the money. Doing wheel n dealin ' , my rig cost about 1800.00 used. New stuff like mine would approach the 4k territory and who has that kind of cash lying around ?

Good luck , Huck ... with ecconomics the way they are today , I've found some quality stuff on sites like craig's list .... seems people would rather eat than listen to music :? :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:05 am 

I've got an old Pioneer CD changer hooked to a cheesy Magnavox reciever circa 1990. I've got two old Sanyo speakers about 2ft tall, and old two 3ft Pioneer speakers. The woofers in the Pioneers are blown, so I've disconnected them, and it's marvelous what I hear on the remaining tweeters and such.

The Magnavox actually sounds better than the Marantz I had last year that blew up.

Go figure.

The whole set-up...less than $30.00

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:35 am 

Not exactly what some of you might consider a high end stereo, but last year I assembled my dad's old DD-1 Gradiente turnatable with a recently bought second hand Gradiente receiver model 1300 along with a Gradiente cassette player model c-484 I arranged to digitize old but precious cassettes to FLAC. I bought a pair of 100 Watts CP-1 Antera speakers. CDs are still unfortunately limited for my DVD surround, my car or my computer (i.e. relatively cheesy speakers)...

All I can say is that along with my recently started Zappa vinyl collection I have never been so high end in my live...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:11 am 

I have 3 Sherwood receivers (a 1967 80 watt wpc, a 1978 one that has 45 wpc and a modern one that is 210 watts) and a Marantz. (26 wpc)

I have 4 turntables two of which have grounding problems. a Marantz, Elac, and Technics and a cheapo Audio technica that actually sounds pretty decent wi8th a new stylus.

Then I have AR XP 62's with aluminum 6.5" woofers in a phase plug design, Cambridge Soundworks model 17 which are nice little speakers (5.5" woofers) and in the living room I have the coveted AR 4x from the 60's (8" woofer)

I also have a Quadrafex cassette deck which needs new belts but still sounds quite good.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:21 pm 

Location: on the ether from www.deliciousagony.com only fair wave left methinks
That 50/60Hz broomming from at least those recordplayers should be well-explained somewhere, what you think? With modern equipment one gets high-frequency issues, either cheap-chips related or something wreally weird. (find you a webpage) My stereo, the speakers and amp in this case, is connected to the computer, all on one circuit. When you put on the amp first, until the soundcard becomes initialised, it's buzzing (to hum, bombinate [poet.] drone, growl, grumble, whir - hey, I know them words) Believe me, and i use headphones sometimes too so i get every lyrics without loosing all mood when searching the net, the sound is then 1oo% alright! sjooper- 8)

Selfspeakingly are these gems, pick-ups, sapphires the most important thing. These I used been an Ortofon 6mm long phingy, super-marvellous. It melted down within two years. I don't phink the following stylus had the same scale. Later then did I utelize Lenco, or what was it? alcohol and destilled water in a 5o:50 or so mix. They say it's doubling the playing time. ...and creating the campfire experience when you have forgotten to store some of the ingrediences. The link? post it if you think you could read through a bunch of technical, not really much saying explanations. ...you'll need also reserve tubes, this then from the large amplifying penthodes, right? out of my lousy speakers dripples sci-fy :| ... :wink: .... prog radio, a-yeah :mrgreen:

ya wa? the mewzick's pretty spectacular, geez. ..where's me chic cap swaggering to? rather mad. If only others would hark. Next phing on the wish-list gonna be a web-capable mobile iets, an hify-amp powered by solar-panels and propellers on that drat hat.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:19 pm 

Here's my Nikko system,
Nikko - FM TUNER GAMMA 1
Nikko - PRE AMPLIFIER BETA 30
Nikko - EQ 25
Nikko - DC POWER AMPLIFIER ALPHA 230

480 Watts at 4 OHM
240 Watts at 8 OHM

The speaker cabinets are Cerwin Vega with a 12 inch Jensen XSW 1204 at 375 Watts - 4 OHM & a 3 1/2 inch Cerwin Vega Horn at 400 Watts - 4 OHM.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:34 pm 

a-wha? CHUCKUH, 4ooWattsonics woofers, right? my autonom piezos, going off when the high notes are floating effectually all the times, just went looking for ey mumble-jumble with those other whattheycalled, effe kieke :roll:

ahya, twee'ers

ya wa? the mewzick's pretty spectacular, geez. ..where's me chic cap swaggering to? rather mad. If only others would hark. Next phing on the wish-list gonna be a web-capable mobile iets, an hify-amp powered by solar-panels and propellers on that drat hat.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:48 pm 

Horn loaded speakers and a wood floor. must be a bright sounding system. Cerwin Vega's are known for being powerful.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:19 pm 

Huck_Phlem wrote:
Horn loaded speakers and a wood floor. must be a bright sounding system. Cerwin Vega's are known for being powerful.

Actually there is a lot of bottom end coming out of those speakers,adjusting the EQ helps.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:17 am 

Where the high end stuff :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:14 am 

cleon wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:44 am 

pedro1 wrote:
cleon wrote:

Jeezis! Your neighbors must love you.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:02 am 

pedro1 wrote:
cleon wrote:

I seen better.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:44 am 

Ha wish it was mine :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:08 am 

No crazy high-end stuff for me. Just a Thorens TD-160 through an old Fisher tube amp. Sounds good enough to me. If I ever find myself buying a $5,000 stylus, I hope someone has me commited.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:08 am 

Damn you have some great stuff. the 5 thousand dollar phono cartridges are for audiofools with too much money.

I have 5 different cartridges on headshells. Stanton 500 and a 681 with a shibata stylus, a Audio technica 71 which came with my Marantz and a Nagaoka MP-11 but my favorite is a Realistic/Shure I got for free with a Discwasher I bought. it's basically a Shure M-75. has great output but I switch it out when I play rock because it's got too much output.

I just got a Technics SL-220 because my Marantz has a grounding problem. much better sounding table. Fuck I would love to have a Thorens and a Fisher Tube Amp. I would like to get a Sherwood Tube Amp also.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:25 am 

I enjoy looking through Music Direct catalogs and seeing all the hilariously overpriced gadgets and wondering who actually buys that stuff. Even if I had that kind of money I don't think I'd be able to justify spending $10,000 on a stereo system. By the time I pay it off, I'll be too deaf to even enjoy it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:56 am 

Check that Web Shop out
Turntables up too £2.750 ,CD player £11.999.95
http://www.audiot.co.uk/hifi/cd-sacd-and-dvd-audio/
Use the price range top left :wink:

How is those prices possible.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:27 pm 

My favorites are the super-expensive items that don't even look like they'd be any fun to splurge on.

Speaker cables?
$2,799!

The idea that anyone would spend that much money on speaker cables for their home stereo makes my soul hurt a little.

As for cartridges, I've been rockin' the Shure M97XE for years, and I don't have any complaints. They're such a ridiculously great bang for your buck. However, when it comes time to replace it this time around, I'm considering trying out something different. Maybe a Grado?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:29 pm 

Copper has become expensive, the rest of the world thinks gold is the best current-transporter when in reality it's silver, innit? and what has happened with electro-magnetic tapes then? on board the HiFly Orion-13, unbelievable loudspeakers come to think of it and who is listening? only clouds!?!! lol? here then, there is a good organ player on the planet :?: :D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:34 pm 

No get a Nagaoka MP-11 ($69.99 at LP gear)or for a bit more they have one called a JT-555 ($89.95) that has a shibata tip stylus. which is a special cut. I love my Nagaoka but my old Shure has more output. Grado's have a tendency to hum on certain turntables. Plus they are very mellow. If you are going from a shure you might not like it. The best bang for the buck has to be the Audio Technica 95e which you can also get various different stylus cuts like a hyper eliptical or a shibata.

I hear that a shure like yours gets even better if you get a Jico stylus in a shibata cut. it's about a hundred bucks but a lot of guys I know says it's the next best thing to the coveted Shure V-15 which they no longer make.

Personally I would not ever buy anything new from Shure because they moved their factory to mexico. they have crappy quality control and it's just a slap in the face of the American people who used to make them.

(my next cartridge purchase)

http://www.lpgear.com/Merchant2/merchan ... AGAOKACART

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:50 am 

Huck_Phlem wrote:
Galoot I know you're out there.

Yes I am Huck.
First off stay away from Mac. They use carbon resistors with a 5 to 10% tolorence as opposed to metal film or bulk metal foil resistors with a .0015% to 1% tolorence. Also their designs are kind of antiquated. If you want good vintage gear circa 70's and 80's you can probably pick up a Krell KSA-50 pure class A amp and preamp for about what you'd pay for a Mac 4100. A great speaker that would compliment the Krell would be the Spendor LS35a.
Linn Sondek is still my reference, but cartridge selection is tricky and setup can take along time to get it right if you've never set one up before. I could guide you though it. On the lower end of turntables, you may want to go for a Music Hall Reference.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:24 am 

onboard dreamship warm-up equivalent of a sci-fair round-swing rollercoaster a-thingumajik

http://www.bang-olufsen.com/beolab5

swapped with that long-boat console

http://www.bang-olufsen.com/beocenter2

Trick'd be, imagine you are the possessor of the most terrific home-planet,
sound-system and actually got the compu'er connected to the
best internet station ...they're just pronouncing it! 8)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:55 am 

right now I am very pleased with what i am running. a Sherwood 760 cp receiver at 45wpc, a technics SL-220 into AR 4x speakers. I do want to get some AR 2 AX or perhaps some AR5's. I really want a Sherwood 9910 receiver or a Tube like a S 8000 or a 5000 but I know that tube is very finiky and a pain is the ass so I think I'll stick with vintage solid state.

I do have a modern Sherwood and it sounds great but I hate the black finish which is why I wanted a 4100 Mac.

I also have a Marantz 2226 which sounds good but Sherwood sounds better to me.

Here is why I like Sherwood. They are wired in Parallel so you can play two sets and only put an 8 ohm load on it. am I correct?