Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: High end stereo
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:28 pm 

Additionally I prefer the S shaped tone arm so I can switch out cartridges when I want to.

I really want a Micro Seiki DD 30 or something else with a spectacular wood plinth but I have not ruled out getting a Technics 1200 which have just been stopped being made. they do fetch a very high price though.

I do like those old tables like Elac and Empire though.

If I did get a tube vintage amp like a Sherwood or a Fisher then I would get some AR 3a's as they are 4 ohm. The only problem there is that I don't have space for floor standing speakers and don't want any. I like bookshelf's.

I'll look at some Krell in the vintage market.

I am pretty sure I will end up getting some used equipment from someone on Audio Karma Forums. That is where I have learned about gear.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:44 pm 

Location: on the ether from www.deliciousagony.com only fair wave left methinks
A good idea is to hang those loudspeakers from the ceiling, so they get uncoupled from interferences, resonance frequencies, whirs and the likes, or more of no disturbances of the neighbours. I know there are the figments of tennisballs and small precious metal cones, which are quite expensive and the former may roll on its own all of a sudden. I eg used two bigger hooks, one for each case and then three chains, put two of 'em on the corners of the top-frontsides via small hooks and one chain with less links in the middle on the revers. So i am able to turn them around, and adjust the angle in which they ray towards me. What you also could do is conjure the set into a castle for hamsters for instance :)

Ow, i wouldn't know about used stuff. Amplifiers should be okay, speakers one had to check out i presume. Ya claro, receiver, equalizer pre-amp is a sure thing, in effect everything except for the record-player or more precise the pick-ups. Mentioned boxes from Galoot are a legend, only do they look a bit simple? primitive, awkward? a set consisting of almost merely woofers would make me turn to a really fine, the best maybe even of these Koss, mate. They can be found in every top-ten list!

ya wa? the mewzick's pretty spectacular, geez. ..where's me chic cap swaggering to? rather mad. If only others would hark. Next phing on the wish-list gonna be a web-capable mobile iets, an hify-amp powered by solar-panels and propellers on that drat hat.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:33 pm 

Huck_Phlem wrote:
I am pretty sure I will end up getting some used equipment from someone on Audio Karma Forums. That is where I have learned about gear.

Audiogon is a great resource for vintage stuff. Lots of trustworthy sellers who know their stuff. That's where I found my amp.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:39 pm 

buying from someone you know is even better. They mention audiogon a lot on there.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:22 am 

madcow1515 wrote:
Huck_Phlem wrote:

Audiogon is a great resource for vintage stuff. Lots of trustworthy sellers who know their stuff. That's where I found my amp.

www.audiofederation.com
My favorite^^^^^

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:25 am 

My tube system in my second room is BAT gear:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:29 am 

Location: on the ether from www.deliciousagony.com only fair wave left methinks
Do you feel the same sorta strange mood when you look at that little laboratory- pickled popsongs- mixed fruits in a bag - accident? makes me considerably uneasy if I really want to know what he is playing at? could it be that there is a best-mobilée in the loft? hey, this gadgetry needs some fresh cabling.

ya wa? the mewzick's pretty spectacular, geez. ..where's me chic cap swaggering to? rather mad. If only others would hark. Next phing on the wish-list gonna be a web-capable mobile iets, an hify-amp powered by solar-panels and propellers on that drat hat.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:43 am 

Huck, for $750.00 you can own a new Jolida integrated tube amplifier. You'll be playing with the big boys now.... 8)

www.jolida.com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:05 pm 

I really would like to own a period piece from the 60's. A Sherwood S-8000 with some AR 2 AX speakers.

I do have a nice Marantz that could work as a pre amp.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:04 pm 

Hmmmm! I am liking that Jolida equipment!

I think I'm gonna look further into that stuff. I always did think McIntosh equipment was overpriced. Plus the gloss black never turned me on.

They make tube CD players and phono stages too.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:42 am 

The JD100 "AWESOME" sound for $950.00..........24/96 DACs with tube output.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:15 pm 

yea but it's white isn't it? I want brushed aluminum to go with the rest of my stuff. Those hybrid amps look pretty cool. but what is more important the pre amp being tube or the power output?

Ideally I should go with mono blocks like you have but I'm really not very fond of hooking shit up. the less wire work for me the better. then again. I know how sweet it can sound.

The principal where my daughter goes and my son used to go has a nice dynaco tube system in his office with some KLH 5's.
He said he wanted me to look at his systemdek and even said something about just giving it to me. he said he thinks it needs a new arm. OK so I'll get a Micro Seiki or a Rega arm for it then.

I definitely want to get a Benz or Dynavector and a Jolida phono pre.

I don't like those weird ass looking turntables like the VPI Scout. give me a nice wood plinth or maybe even one of those beautiful chrome Thorens Jobs. I won't pay more than 1500 for a turntable though.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:44 am 

I really love my AR XP62's with the aluminum 6.5" phase plug woofers. Listening now to Buddy Rich and Max Roach playing The Casbah.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:56 pm 

My Dad bought this Yamaha amplifier in 1979 for me. Since it fritzed out 25 years later he purchased another CA-710 at ebay for me.

I think it's quite good.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:49 pm 

Way too roll Fritz.
super cooloo :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:58 am 

Huck_Phlem wrote:
but what is more important the pre amp being tube or the power output?

I've seen a lot of guys on audiophile forums who have a tube preamp and a solid state power amp, so that might be the way to go.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:20 am 

Well GC is the guy to answer that but I do know that Marshall made a guitar amp that used a tube pre amp into a solid state it was the valvestate 2000 generally considered good.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:49 pm 

Well the reason I asked was because Jolida makes hybrid amps where the pre is tube. I want something like that mainly because exposed tubes like that seems very fragile. I suppose I could put the power amp down low on another shelf by it self but I plan on plenty more shelfs for records than just the two I have now.

The main thing I really like about this company is they make their own tubes. That is important. Thanks GC for turning me on to that idea. I don't plan on getting anything like B&W speakers and want to go exclusively with AR acoustic suspension of the vintage gender. I would so love to own some 3a's but they require 4 ohms. if I went tube then that would be no problem. otherwise I want to get some 2ax speakers with the cloth surrounds. I have a pair of refurbished AR4x that are actually meant for a bit smaller of a room. (8 inch woofers)

Post subject: re: high end stereo
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:46 pm 

my_name_is_fritz wrote:
My Dad bought this Yamaha amplifier in 1979 for me. Since it fritzed out 25 years later he purchased another CA-710 at ebay for me.

I think it's quite good.

had this baby [ca-800] for over 30 years, had to replace the power supply 5 years ago ... still hummin away

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:54 pm 

Those Yami's are nice. Ever thought about getting it re-capped?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:32 am 

Huck_Phlem wrote:
Those Yami's are nice. Ever thought about getting it re-capped?

There's a guy online who does a lot of work on Fisher amps, and I've considered sending mine off to him for a full tune-up. It definitely wouldn't hurt to replace those old caps. However, last I checked, the full service with shipping would run me around $500, which is way more than I feel like spending right now.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:05 am 

madcow1515 wrote:
Huck_Phlem wrote:
but what is more important the pre amp being tube or the power output?

I've seen a lot of guys on audiophile forums who have a tube preamp and a solid state power amp, so that might be the way to go.

Go tubes all the way or go solid state all the way....that's why I have 2 seperate systems. I never liked hybrids all that much. Tubes give you a warmer sound because it's amplifies voltage, Solid state amplifies current.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:45 am 

What is the future of CD changers? Downloads have long passed CD sales. Should I buy two or three spare ones to keep in store?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:40 pm 

High end

tail end

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:50 pm 

Tero wrote:
What is the future of CD changers? Downloads have long passed CD sales. Should I buy two or three spare ones to keep in store?

Good point! I can see CD's later as being what Turntables are going through now. I doubt that in 10 years they will be in as much use. In fact they already are in much less use. I listen to CD's more now as they are much better sounding than mp3's for sure unless it's a real high bit rate like 256 or above.

I already have two very nice systems as it is. Once modern and the other one vintage. I sure would like a nice tube system though.