Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 4:49 am 

I saw TOTO live a couple of days ago in Helsinki.<br>They played a couple of cover songs which didn't get me too exicted. TOTO playing other people's music LIVE?<br>Well, fortunately they played mostly their own music.<br>Steve Lukather was fantastic, I really enjoyed his acoustic solo part, he even put a little part of "roundabout" there. The bass player's (can't remember the name!) sound wasn't so good. The bass just sounded like a low dark wall of sound.<br> Not many critics love this band, but I've always enjoyed them. Not the best band in the world, but good anyways! ;)<br><br>Concert review 7,5/10

Post subject: Re: TOTO!!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 10:36 am 

[quote author=five-five-FIVE link=board=general;num=1037198990;start=0#1 date=11/13/02 at 12:22:21]I don't know whether it was really Toto or not, but we'll check it out...   ;D[/quote]<br>huh? I'm sorry but I don't understand what you're saying. Whatever ;)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 11:47 am 

[quote author=five-five-FIVE link=board=general;num=1037198990;start=0#3 date=11/13/02 at 13:41:56]I'm quoting our beloved Central Scrutinizer from Joe's Garage.<br><br>By the way, I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed the concert.  I know very little about Toto.[/quote]<br><br>Oh ok. I don't still got that album. Gonna get it some day.<br>Thanks for the concert remark. Toto is unfashionable if anything today. Their early stuff is the best, then they became a bit lame.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 9:29 am 

Lukather's great. His solos are very melodic and not filled with claptonesque blues-cliches. His got some technique as well. I've heard that Lukather thinks that the greatest solo ever is "kid charlemagne" played by Larry Carlton in Steely Dan's Royal Scam album. I can play that solo note by note perfect. I'm that good!<br>By the way, i play Gibson Les Paul. Love it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 9:49 am 

[quote author=Suomalainen link=board=general;num=1037198990;start=0#6 date=11/14/02 at 11:29:21]I can play that solo note by note perfect. I'm that good![/quote] <br>Yeah, I figured that one out note-for-note too, but being able to copy it is a different skill than being able to come up with a great lead-part like that. Rumor has it that Larry Carlton improvised the whole thing in only one take, pretty impressive!<br><br>
Quote:
By the way, i play Gibson Les Paul. Love it.
I'm more of a Fender Strat-player, I love LP's too but they're a bit too heavy for me. Wouldn't it be cool if Gibson released an FZ signature SG? I'd buy that..<br><br>Oh yeah, this thread was supposed to be about Toto, I forgot.. ;)<br>

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 10:39 am 

[quote author=five-five-FIVE link=board=general;num=1037198990;start=0#8 date=11/14/02 at 11:51:59]<br><br>I just got a 2002 Les Paul Custom yesterday.  Love it.   8)<br>[/quote]<br><br>It's strange how attached to an instrument you can get. I simply love my LP. I've had it since '98 or '99 and still I feel like "WOW!! I've got a Les Paul! Cool!!". It's almost like it has its own personality. 8)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 5:39 am 

I think that strats and similar axes are more like just tools, but Gibson (especially my precious Les Paul) are more like works of art. They are heavier and just more elegant looking than strats and that gives them some exrta value. Of course strats may be a little more versatile sound-wise than LPs. :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 7:41 am 

Sight-reading...now there's a thing I'm really trying to learn.  Any tips for improving my prima-vista skills? ???<br> ???

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 10:07 am 

Everyone's heard Lukather whether they know it or not.  The guy's has done so much session work for movies and radio there is no way to avoid hearing him!  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 10:34 am 

Has anyone tried sight-reading some of the Steve Vai transcriptions in 'The Real FZ Guitar Book'? I rented this book from the library once, but actually reading the notes from the page is a total nightmare! I can read music fairly well thanks to a lot of classical piano lessons but this stuff is really difficult to read, with all the weird polyrhythmic stuff going on..