Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:46 pm 

Have fun Arkay! I know a bunch of people going. I've been on a Bassnector kick lately and would love to see them live. Some friends of mine play in Greensky Bluegrass and they are good at what they do in that genre. Wish I was going.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:29 pm 

It was a crucible... but a blast. I'd be dead if I did it every year, so I'll probably never do it again, at least without an RV. I knew it would be hot, and it was. High 90sF every day. But, I never knew it would be this dusty. Its a farm. On Thursday, the farm still has grass on it. But, by Friday, the 95,000 people or so wore the paths down to hard dirt that turned into puffs of dust as people walked on it. It was tolerable when you were near a stage, but when you walked place to place it was horrible. Your lungs turn beige.
But enough of the torture, I still had a great time. Didn't see every band I wanted to, but heard alot of great stuff. Saw some or all of Henry Rollins, My Morning Jacket, Buffalo Springfield, Dr. John w/ The Meters and Alan Toussaint, Mumford and Sons, The Superjam w/ Dan Aurbach and Dr. John, Bassnectar, Primus, Man Man, The Strokes, Alison Krauss and several others that I'll probably remember later. Biggest bummer was that I missed BOTH Girl Talk and Gogol Bordello, but we were wiped out by then and had to crash.
My Morning Jacket was perfect. We had seen just a bit of their show at Lollapalooza a few years ago and were determined to see a complete one. They were on the main stage, 8pm just as it was getting dark and cooling down and it seemed like every song was one that I wanted them to play. Can't say enough about this band, so I'll stop.
Buffalo Springfield was another story. They started out w/ a bad sound. Maybe an amp had blown or the soundguy was trippin, who knows? The crowd kept chanting "Turn it Up!" on and off for the first 4-5 songs. People started leaving. The sound seemed like it was getting better here and there. But, then Mr. Soul changed all that. The sound had mysteriously become awesome and Neil had crunched up the guitar from previous paisley sounding tunes that Buffalo Springfield was known for. The audience lit up from then on. Broken Arrow was great and For What Its Worth had a burning snarl to it that was a new take on the old classic. Then NY said something like "We're just killin' time" as Steven Stills and Richie Furay left the stage. Then he kicked into Rockin' in the Free World and blew the crowd away.
We took alot of pix, so maybe I'll post a few here some time.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:04 am 

Sounds like a really good time, man I haven't been to a festival in years, used to enjoy them....maybe I'm too old for it now... :smoke:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:06 am 

Miss Kitty and I keeping safe from the dust and heat...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:14 am 

How was Primus, how was Primus?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:53 am 

Some long exposure pix of the ferris wheel...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:01 am 

Well, BBP, I know you are a big Primus fan, so you probably knew more of their stuff than I did. I found the setlist online...
1.Groundhog's Day
2.Pie in the Sky
3.American Life
4.Harold of the Rocks
5.The Last Salmon Man (Fisherman's Chronicles, Part 4)
6.Over The Falls
7.Tragedy
8.Jerry Was A Race Car Driver
9.Over the Electric Grapevine
10.Jilly's On Smack
11.The Green Ranger
12.Those Damned Blue-Collar Tweekers
13.Tommy The Cat

I came in at JWARCD til the end. I didn't know #s 9, 10 & 11, but the others are favs that I and the crowd loved. Some cool subdued jamming (can one say that Primus jams?) It did seem like there was some improvising going on to me.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:10 am 

Rather than trying to see every band and walking around all the time, we brought lawn chairs and got to our must-see shows early to get a good place to sit n watch. While waiting for Buffalo Springfield their was a random girl spinning fireballs on chains. Entertaining!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:20 am 

A place we returned to a few times a day. It was a shock to the system to get soaked with cold water after baking in the heat, but so very worth it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:24 am 

Stupid human tricks while waiting for Henry Rollins tickets...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:17 am 

Spinning fireballs on chains is a Maori dance called Poi. My boyfriend works in the circus now, but he used to make a living with Poi on the streets. Good living too.
He's the one with the staff in here:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xr5og_sk-and-nof_extreme

Electric Grapevine is a great song from Tales From The Punchbowl, the last full album with Herb. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3IDWmr4nLY
The two after that are songs from the upcoming album.
I'm excited to see they're continuing Fisherman's Chronicles!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:27 am 

Definitely see these:

Buffalo Springfield (again)
Strokes
Warren Haynes
Dr John
Del McCoury
Charlie daniels
Loretta Lynn was good in her day, but her performances have deteriorated greatly.