Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: ABOUT PUBLISHING A BOOK
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 4:09 pm 

Does anyone know anything about this topic? When I check the internet I keep finding ways to publish that need money 1st. More like "publish your own book".<br>I'm looking for a company who's willing to gamble on an unknown (that would be me).<br>Just thought I'd toss this out to you all.<br>Thanks.<br><br><br>PLEASE DON'T SUGGEST I GET IN TOUCH WITH FEDERICO. ::)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 4:58 pm 

[quote author=Ronnys_Noomies link=board=general;num=1046138950;start=0#1 date=02/24/03 at 18:40:11]There must be web sites that discuss the norms about how you go about getting published. Like who the book publishers are, who are the actual individuals you send the manuscript to, tips on formatting it, that kind of stuff. Now, do I actually know of any of these? No, of course not. But I bet someone does, besides CF. I used to have a friend who wrote science fiction, who'd send stuff out to publishers in that field, and get on mailing lists of publishers soliciting works for anthologies. Before our friendship collapsed in ruins, he did get a few stories published, but not novels. He was very PERSISTENT. <br><br>What is the book? [/quote]<br>I call it, Funky, Filthy And Foul: memoirs of a former nun.<br>(not true)<br>So, just how long do you relationships last before they collapse into ruins? Because when I asked you this in email, you said you didn't know anything! All of a sudden you show up here with advice for me. Sure, now that the other kids are watching, you've seemed to have gained some knowledge!<br><br>(there is the funniest piece of classical music playing right now. I's written for vacuum-1 canister style, 2 upright. When I find who it's by, I'll come back and type it in. If that's alright with RN's)<br>

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 5:23 pm 

[quote author=bcarney link=board=general;num=1046138950;start=0#3 date=02/24/03 at 18:59:50]Here's one place to start.<br><br> http://www.apage4you.com/<br><br>                                         (bcarney)    8)[/quote]<br>Thanks. I'll check it out.<br>

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 5:59 pm 

Independent Literature Institute. I don't know if this is what your looking for, but it says FREE!<br><br>:Welcome to IndyLit<br>The voices of America's poets and writers are culturally significant.  Literature is the primary source of history.  Independently published literature is invaluable to our society and our on-going experiment with democracy.<br>IndyLit seeks only to promote those voices that do not receive the recognition they deserve.<br>IndyLit welcomes your ideas and your on-going support.<br>Long live our freedom to express ourselves!<br><br><br><br><br><br>Independent Literature Institute<br><br><br>

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 7:48 am 

One advice: write a GOOD book, then publishers will publish, cause a good book will sell OR it will give them extra 'status' and standing, or both.<br><br>That's why they still publish poetry e.g., publishing poetry isn't profitable in a long shot.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 1:51 pm 

[quote author=Sebastiaan link=board=general;num=1046138950;start=0#9 date=02/25/03 at 10:17:40]<br><br>Great title. I'll buy it Catpuke. If your millionselling book needs a translation in Dutch, call my sister-in-law...  :)<br>[/quote]<br>That's NOT really what it's called, Sebatiaan!!<br>It's not even any kind of novel. It's a collection of illustrated humorus....POEMS!! YES, POEMS. But they're funny.<br>Thanks for the offer. ;D<br>

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 2:15 pm 

[quote author=catpuke link=board=general;num=1046138950;start=0#0 date=02/24/03 at 18:09:10]<br><br><br>PLEASE DON'T SUGGEST I GET IN TOUCH WITH FEDERICO. ::)[/quote]<br><br><br>You read my mind!<br><br>

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 7:56 pm 

[quote author=MentalTossFlycoon link=board=general;num=1046138950;start=0#13 date=02/25/03 at 18:06:54]<br>Sounds like PDQ Bach....[/quote]<br>IT DOES! But it couldn't be, it was written for Herbert Hoover (guess that's why the vacuums). It was on Dr. Carl Haas's show, Adventures in Good Music. The episode was called, Are we there yet? It was pretty cute. (I'm probably the ONLY nerd here who listens to classical music :-[)<br><br>