Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:23 pm 

Lumpy Gravy wrote:
stride wrote:
the people who care .. don't get it
well, I don't really get that comment, stride.

i was just commenting on the end of your other post (not that I really care what you motherfuckers listen to, anyway...)
and that as i'd like to have access to spotify ,as it's unavailable here
.. but after your last post it seems like just another way for people to get they're stinky hands on my money .. so fukkit !

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:20 am 

stride wrote:
the people who care .. don't get it
Lumpy Gravy wrote:
well, I don't really get that comment, stride.
stride wrote:
i was just commenting on the end of your other post (not that I really care what you motherfuckers listen to, anyway...)
oh, that. I just meant that as a joke...

stride wrote:
and that as i'd like to have access to spotify, as it's unavailable here
.. but after your last post it seems like just another way for people to get they're stinky hands on my money .. so fukkit !
yep. fukk spotify.
I'm really disappointed.

but, I'll get over it. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:14 am 

I've really been getting a lot of mileage out of Spotify the past few weeks. I've been browsing various Best Albums of 2011 lists and sampling some of the common entries. I'm starting to feel old and out of it though. Most of the critically celebrated albums I've checked out are falling into the "I don't get it" category for me. Are the hip college kids really that excited about all this "indie"-fied dance music these days? I miss guitars.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:05 pm 

well, since about a month ago I am a paying member of spotify.
I upgraded to the unlimited version. $4.95 a month (it's nice to not have to listen to their ads every 15-20 minutes).

I use it every day at work (and some at home), and I have discovered a lot of new music and rediscovered a lot of old stuff.

I have had to let my co-worker put some of her favorite music on there. it's ok, she has to listen to all of my stuff all day anyway.
and 75% of it is my music. and, I think I have managed to widen her taste in music.

there's one major drawback about spotify, though.
you don't get any info about the albums you listen to.
nothing about when it was released, who the musicians are, nor the composers, producers, etc.
you have to go elsewhere to find that. hopefully, they'll find a way to improve on that.

they have biographies, but they are from allmusic.com, so, if you're familiar with that site, spotify doesn't give you anything new.

I do like spotify's 'related artists'-feature, though. I have found a lot of stuff using that.

apart from the info complaint, I have to say that I actually like spotify. 8)

the 'radio'-feature, based on what you're listening to, or on a whole of bunch of genres, is not too bad either.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:48 am 

FOWL is on spotify. Funny I can't access the service in my region, but I can add my music to it!

http://www.last.fm/music/fowl
http://www.deezer.com/en/#music/fowl
Your mental health requires buying my cd

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:50 pm 

Lumpy Gravy wrote:
well, since about a month ago I am a paying member of spotify.
I upgraded to the unlimited version. $4.95 a month (it's nice to not have to listen to their ads every 15-20 minutes).

I actually upgraded to the full $9.99/month service last month so I can stream it on my phone. I'm really happy with it so far. In fact, it's so good that I'm worried it's just a matter of time before labels freak out and start yanking their stuff off it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:38 am 

Subscription music has never interested me and it's been around for many years, long before Spotify was even thinkable. Who the fuck wants to pre-pay a fixed price for something they're not going to want anyway and get stuck with the charge if it's a very long time before they find some little thing of interest? I already hate the recording mafia as it is so why get my ass roto-rootered when the shit I'm mostly offered is techno/house/dance crap anyway? "If you liked the first one you'll love the next hundred too because nothing ever changes."

Pop(ular) music has always been based on sameness anyway and I'm in the minority who do give a fuck that what they hear won't be a continuum of an unchanging flow of sameness. But who cares? Given a few years no one will remember or care that all they hear is not a much different from the sound of continuously running water. Because of my own insignificance and the insignificance of an irrelevant minority there will be no impact on what's dispensed anyway. Love it or leave it!

--Bat

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 am 

Batchain1001 wrote:
Subscription music has never interested me and it's been around for many years, long before Spotify was even thinkable. Who the fuck wants to pre-pay a fixed price for something they're not going to want anyway and get stuck with the charge if it's a very long time before they find some little thing of interest?

Do you hold the same view for Netflix? It's pretty much the exact same model, only applied to music.

I don't know. I've discovered a good bit of stuff that I like on there. If I spent that same $10 each month on a physical album I knew I would like, I would never find anything new to listen to. Then again, it's entirely possible that I have terrible taste in music. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:45 pm 

madcow1515 wrote:
Batchain1001 wrote:
Subscription music has never interested me and it's been around for many years, long before Spotify was even thinkable. Who the fuck wants to pre-pay a fixed price for something they're not going to want anyway and get stuck with the charge if it's a very long time before they find some little thing of interest?

Do you hold the same view for Netflix? It's pretty much the exact same model, only applied to music.

I don't know. I've discovered a good bit of stuff that I like on there. If I spent that same $10 each month on a physical album I knew I would like, I would never find anything new to listen to. Then again, it's entirely possible that I have terrible taste in music. :wink:

Reminds me of the kind of e-mails I get from Amazon...
"As someone who has recently purchased, or rated, 'Space Ritual' by Hawkwind, we thought you would be interested in the recent release from Amy Winehouse."

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:22 pm 

just plain doug wrote:
Reminds me of the kind of e-mails I get from Amazon...
"As someone who has recently purchased, or rated, 'Space Ritual' by Hawkwind, we thought you would be interested in the recent release from Amy Winehouse."

Well, Lemmy did play some pretty killer bass on "Rehab."