Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2002 4:34 am 

For all you youngsters who have been blessed with the ears and musical insight to appreciate FZ, the Beethoven of Rock, I commend your good choice. Sorry you never got to see him. Seeing the Maestro conduct the band was an amazing musical experience. I particularly remember a show in Indianapolis, circa the 70's (memory is fuzzy on the details) when Frank had a legendary lineup that included Billy Cobham, Jean Luc Ponty, Ruth Underwoood a horn section and many other stellar musicians. Between his typical amazing giuitar licks and vocals, Frank spent his time with his back turned to the audience, conducting the orchestra. The intensity of the music on that particular night was amazing. The show was short on antics and very big on precisely performed music from a true original who took Rock to a level where it had never been before and hasn't been since. Just reminiscing.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2002 3:48 pm 

Sorry bout the mistaken idenity on the drummer at that Indy show. You're right about that fuzzy memory and it was probably close to the same time I saw Mahavishnu Orchestra who did claim Billy Cobham as one of their members. Maybe you can id that drummer for me. Like I said, I'm not even positive of the year but I think it was Springtime, '73' at the Collesseum or Fairgrounds in Indianapolis. Holy Shit! Come to think of it Mahavishnu may have been on the same bill that night. Augh! The ravages wreaked by the passing of the years. Drugs too? Just reefer.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 8:03 pm 

I just heard Mahavishnu Orchestra for the first time.  Their amazing. Who was all in that band.  Do they still play today?  Them and Zappa on the same bill would be quite an evening.  <br><br>oct. 11........Image

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 11:10 am 

mcgloughlin on doubleneck
laird on bass
cobham
jerry goodman on violin
jan hammer

Last edited by slime.oofytv.set on Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.