Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2002 4:11 am 

Can someone explain to me why i bother listening to all sorts of artists, who are either dead, or artists who are highly unlikely to perform or record again...<br>Of course all of those artists make/made great music, but i will  never get to see the majority of them perform live, in the flesh.<br>I mean some of the artists i listen to are dead for 30 years (or more), and i am just 19 years old, so you get my problem...<br>Here's a short list of some of the ''dead'' artists i listen to:<br>Frank Zappa (duh....), Kraftwerk, Jimi Hendrix, The Who (then there we're 2..), Pink Floyd (will they ever perform again?), Captain Beefheart (at least HE'S alive...), Rage Against The Machine, Queen, Little Feat (since Lowell died, they aren't the same anymore), Led Zeppelin, Allman Brothers, Ten Years After, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple.....<br>And this was just a short list.<br>What's wrong with me ?????<br>I think i was born some 50 years to late, i guess.<br>Does anybody else has this problem????

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2002 4:31 am 

Yeah, I know what you mean... Although I like a lot of modern artists as well, I wish I could have seen FZ, Jimi, Miles, Coltrane etc. live.<br><br>I watched a FZ video (Stockholm 1973) with a friend of mine yesterday, he's a Zappa fan as well but he had never even seen footage of FZ playing live. That is exactly why the ZFT should release those DVD's: for the people who were too young to see live Zappa shows when Frank was still around.<br><br>But I guess those older artists still appeal to a lot of younger listeners because of the fabulous music, just like people are still listening to the classical greats like Mozart or Bach: the music is timeless. :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2002 8:34 am 

To White_Person: it's kinda stupid to response to one of my own posts, but i just wanted to say that i agree with you on the fact that TOOL is a great band.<br>To me: their album AEnima is the best album of the nineties, i never get tired of it. I can listen to Eulogy, Stinkfist, Forty Six & 2, Jimmy and Hooker With A Penis all day long.....

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2002 8:47 am 

Location: Wandering aimlessly through the American wasteland...
I'd say you're all pretty hip bunch.  Thank God for the Live Tape Bootlegger whose pursuits are motivated by anything other than money.  Otherwise.... :'(<br><br>My John Cipollina collection alone will insure his immortality.  Check out Radio Cipollina on www.live365.com <br><br>No one is mentioning Phil Lesh and friends.  Three years after a liver txplnt, he's going stronger than ever!  Free downloads of all live shows!  Great Stuff!<br><br>My music collection is full of nothing but dead guys!  Miller, Jacobs, Clarke, Smith, Muddy, Miles, Coltrane, The Count, The Duke, The Wolf, SRV, FZ, Cipollina, and that fat little mexican motherfucker from marin county.<br><br>Fuck!  I can't hold back the tears!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2002 7:51 pm 

[quote author=white_person link=board=general&num=1032102686&start=0#7 date=09/16/02 at 22:29:45]<br>re: John Cipollina - Drool, you sparked some fond memories of QMS, Zero, and Fish & Chip! I'm digging through my old bootleg cassettes tomorrow. I haven't listened to those in a looooooong time. Too long.<br><br>re: Sun Ra - another favorite lost in the shuffle! I saw him a bunch of times before he "returned to Jupiter". I was very fortunate that he was based some 15 minutes from where I live. More bootlegs to rediscover!<br>[/quote]<br>Hey Whitey!  I knew there was a reason I liked you.  Check out www.johncipollina.com.  Steve Keyser, John's old Mgr, is the webmiester.  He was kind enough to list me as guest harpist at a couple of shows (Fish n Chip @ OT Prices, I got paid $75-).  I really miss John.<br><br>Dr In had some cool picks I neglected.  I wish I had the insight to have taped Snakefinger back in the Eighties.  Vestal Virgins used to play all the time in Berkeley CA, and I got to see him w/ the Residents for the Aniversary shows at Wolfgangs, S.F..  He was awesome!  Alas, no tapes.<br><br>"aint that a bitch" - Johnny Guitar Watson  (get the "best of " on Ace.  You can really hear the influence he had on FZ)<br><br>Let's Trade!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2002 1:38 pm 

I had this same discussion with some friends, the other night. <br><br>I had made some compilation tapes with all dead guys, we got to talking about the perfect "dead man band". It went on all night, and we never did agree.<br>~ <br>I still have not given up on "Rage", not yet. I don't like to spread rumors, but, I heard things...I mean, Faster Pussycat got back together,right?.. so maybe anything is possible.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2002 5:45 pm 

<br>[quote author=white_person link=board=general&num=1032102686&start=0#10 date=09/17/02 at 19:51:43]<br><br><br>Hey Drool, one of the 2 Fish & Chip tapes I found today is from O.T. Price's, Feb. 4, 1987! Do I own some vintage Drool?<br>I haven't listened to the tapes because I can't find my cassette deck. Grr...<br>[/quote]<br>Hmmm.... You have a tape that is NOT on the "list" @ "chip.com"  You might want to notify Steve Keyser.<br>The drooling I was referring to was 6/3/88.  Barry's car broke down on the way to the gig and was not going to show.  That's when Keyser asked me if I had my Harps w/ me.  So the band was Phil from "jerry's kids" (GD copy band, right down to the Tiger guitar ::)), Me on harp, Dryden, Albin, and Chip.  We did alot of blues including Smokestack Lightning, first time in many years for John.  Barry showed up at 1am and closed the show.  I just wanted my $5- back from the door but before I could open my mouth, Steve Keyser puts $75 in my hand and sez "thanks!"  I love that guy!<br><br>By the way, my harp sucks on those tapes.  No Amp!  Plus that was back in my drinking days.  Robbie Hoddinott from Kingfish thought it was a vintage tape w/ jerry and pigpen. ::)<br>

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 3:05 pm 

Because the majority of today's music SUCKS! :P<br>Most of the music I listen to are bands and artists that are either dead or no longer making music. :( That is the case especially with rock music.<br>The only rock bands I'm into fanatically that are still around are The Melvins, Primus/Claypool, Buckethead(not GnR! :D) Rollins Band, Tool, King Crimson, Fugazi, anything w/Mike Patton, and maybe a few others.<br>Jazz players I like who are living: Charlie Hunter, Medeski Martin & Wood, Stanton Moore, Scofield, Vital Information, and all the old legends like Sonny Rollins who I saw in concert this year. The dude is about 75 and still plays his ass off. 8)<br>

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 11:22 am 

Imagine having to listen only to living people ! YAWNN...<br><br>No Classical, No early-Jazz, No Zappa, No Elvis (oups, I slipt on this one, sorry...)   ;D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 11:34 am 

there must be more professional musicians and their hangers on in the industry alive today that there have ever been in the whole course of human evolution - and yet the quality of musical output is at a crappy all time low. there must be some sort of universal law at work here.<br><br>mungo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 4:08 pm 

yes zf try out stevie ray , duane allman , steve gains and randy rhodes just for starters - all the best ones are dead i fear - well nearly all<br>p.s. thaxted was i nthe national news for a drunken incident last week - nothin to do with you i presume ?<br><br>mungo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 3:49 am 

<br> The only artist that is at the top of my favorites and still breathing is Loudon Wainwright III.<br><br> All other solo artists are dead (FZ, Jimi, Janis,Professor Longhair, Howlin Wolf, Hound Dog Taylor, Alex Harvey, Danny Gatton) <br><br> all bands are either broken up (Kinks, Cream,)<br><br>  - or missing key members (NRBQ no Al Anderson)<br><br> - or key members are dead (Who, Little Feat, Allman Bros, Lynyrd Skynyrd)<br><br> - or the band is both dissolved and members dead (Beatles, Moby Grape).<br><br> and then there is the sad case of Captain Beefheart.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 9:58 am 

Almost all the rock artistis i listen to are dead or close to it Frank ,Little Feat, Hendrix,the Allman Brothers,  the Who,and Beefheart but at least he is breathing as somebody said but hell never make another record me thinks and the blues artists i listen to most of them were dead before i was even born ,but that just goes to show you they must have been great cause their music lives on.