Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:29 am 

Greetings,

I attended the second annual FZD this year. I captured some video, mostly of Gail speaking. Check it out.

http://vimeo.com/29234820

Mr. Heathen

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:59 am 

Thanks for that. I think she said an unreleased 200 Motels audio and a a Roxy audio this year. And swears the visual portion of Roxy by next.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:05 pm 

brainpang wrote:
Thanks for that. I think she said an unreleased 200 Motels audio and a a Roxy audio this year. And swears the visual portion of Roxy by next.

we can only hope

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:29 pm 

brainpang wrote:

I'm not sure thats what I heard, certainly she's pushing the Roxy DVD soon. She said that last year BTW. She also announced a 4 disc set of a 71' concert some time soon. It was before she introduced Jerry Lawson.

I also like what she said about the Valuternative Records logo and the death of Ryco and possible white nightishness of Warners...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:43 pm 

1. Now we finally know why there hasn't been a 40th Anniversary P/O Hot Rats release.

2. Gail swore (by raising her hand in the air) that the Roxy DVD will be released by next year.

3. Next month, a 4 disc live album from '71 will be released. Gail hinted as to where it was recorded by saying that The Persuasions opened for Zappa/Mothers during these shows. So, according to the FZ Giglist, it looks this release is either from the two NYC Carnegie Hall shows on 10/11 with the Stokowski American Symphony Orchestra, or the two shows from Virginia Beach on 10/14 - where the infamous arrest for disorderly conduct occurred. Btw, these four shows are not in circulation.

Either way, I'll be waiting 'til right before Xmas to order this 4 disc live set w/ Feeding the Monkies at Ma Maison, since I'm not a huge fan of the Flo & Eddie era, or most of FZ's synclavier material. And also to save on shipping.

Thanks a million for posting this video clip!

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:54 am 

I will never understand why the ZFT always makes a secret of everything. Sooner or later no one will take notice anymore about what they will or won't release. As long as they create "product" they should give clear information to the public about what to expect, if they still have interest to sell it.

I know many people who are not interested anymore because they don't have the patience to dig out the information between the lines.

Th.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:38 am 

Thinman wrote:
I will never understand why the ZFT always makes a secret of everything. Sooner or later no one will take notice anymore about what they will or won't release. As long as they create "product" they should give clear information to the public about what to expect, if they still have interest to sell it.

I know many people who are not interested anymore because they don't have the patience to dig out the information between the lines.

Th.

I stand corrected. As to the 200 Motels material Gail said" plan to release." No schedule mentioned. Then I gave up and turned it off.

As for all the secrecy, Gail has stated why many times. She's concerned about bootleggers. Announce something, a day later something similar appears on ebay or whatever. One can pass that off as nonsense and paranoia but that's her bizniz. She also likes surprises.

And I think this might be the 3rd time I have written this:
1. Pre-Order announced with limited details (that's for the fans who order no matter what)
2. Day of release all details are made available (that's for the people who were on the fence).
I never understood why this bugs people so much. It's not a pre-order for something limited, that you will not eventually be able to get. Who cares? Wait until it's out and decide if ya want it or not.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:29 am 

Thinman wrote:

Th.

The viewpoint you give here is so very short sighted. What is so difficult to understand that limited information before the release protects the rights of the artists against bootleggers. The pre-sale gives an opportunity for fans that are interested at that time to buy it. There have been times where we have seen flash promos with visual and audio examples but it should be obvious that these things take time and money to make. I am not saying that budget is the definitive factor why any given flash promo has or has not been made on any given project but it is something to think about.

I have not noticed a sold out sign before the pre-sale is over but that is the chance you take if you want to wait for fan reviews and or purchase any given product post pre-sale for any reason. These CDs are made in limited quantities. Frank Zappa's works be it Zappa Records or Vaulternative Records are a special product we can not get anywhere else. History should tell us enough about all these factors that I am mentioning and then put the war Gail speaks of on that equation and that also limits given opportunities for given forms of projects.

It makes no sense for me to blow air into a pneumatic tire that has gone flat but certainly I am not a fan that needs to wait for any feedback. A new project becomes available and I buy it. I have been extremely happy with each and every pre-sale. With all my entertainment choices in life Zappa & Vaulternative Records is what most definitively defines my idea of a good time. Every fan can make his or her own decision if they should purchase any given project at any time. For each release the ZFT have put out, we are rapidly approaching 40, certainly we are far beyond confidentiality under a pre-sale time frame for each of the many projects that are no longer offered as a pre-sale. Each and every Zappa & Vaulternative Records releases that comes out. This whole nonsense of digging out the information between the lines is no different than the crap the media was writing in the 60s. By now the fans should know what the composer was about. When the Feeding The Monkies At Ma Maison description clearly states "Realized by FZ on his Synclavier. All tracks produced by Frank Zappa." that within itself should give many fans an idea if pre-sale is something they are interested in but I can go far back as FZ:OZ where several months of pre-sales where we had plenty enough information of a live show from a given tour and still only 2,035 pre-sales in well over 100 days. I don't buy into any of the fan pissing and moaning.

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Frank Zappa left the ZFT in Control of his Vaults and Artistic rights.
We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

Last edited by Trendmonger on Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:54 am 

Disco Boy wrote:
1. Now we finally know why there hasn't been a 40th Anniversary P/O Hot Rats release.

2. Gail swore (by raising her hand in the air) that the Roxy DVD will be released by next year.

3. Next month, a 4 disc live album from '71 will be released. Gail hinted as to where it was recorded by saying that The Persuasions opened for Zappa/Mothers during these shows. So, according to the FZ Giglist, it looks this release is either from the two NYC Carnegie Hall shows on 10/11 with the Stokowski American Symphony Orchestra, or the two shows from Virginia Beach on 10/14 - where the infamous arrest for disorderly conduct occurred. Btw, these four shows are not in circulation.

Either way, I'll be waiting 'til right before Xmas to order this 4 disc live set w/ Feeding the Monkies at Ma Maison, since I'm not a huge fan of the Flo & Eddie era, or most of FZ's synclavier material. And also to save on shipping.

Good work. Just noticed this topic. A cousin of mine went to the Carnegie Hall Shows. This is a long awaited release. As a word of note you will be saving $5. As far as your accounting of taste you clearly make your point. On top of that in this economy I can see for some purchasing decisions are a bit more calculated. Nice $5 shipping promo for the entire order is on the table right now.

For me I don't have any vices that take budget money from my pocket on a daily basis. $5 is round trip gas money to the park or store but those trips can also be limited for many. For the current $5 promotion for shipping it is a win win for me. For those that are waiting for any reason I hope a nice holiday shipping arrangement suits their needs. I'm thinking we even may get a bit more than what we have heard about. I do remember Gail made a little comment a while back which hinted at such. She is giving some good general information if people are listening to the answers. All the projects fans have been discussing and from my guess I will boldly state even more. It's a great time to be alive. Peace.

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Frank Zappa left the ZFT in Control of his Vaults and Artistic rights.
We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:48 am 

Trendmonger wrote:
… and still only 2,035 pre-sales in well over 100 days. …

And what do you think is the reason for those low numbers? Ignorance of the stupid public? Fans who know nothing?

One can destroy the best product (Frank Zappa's legacy in this case) through wrong strategies in marketing, communication, repertoire decisions, technical treatment of the material, etc.

Th.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:13 pm 

Thinman wrote:
Trendmonger wrote:
… and still only 2,035 pre-sales in well over 100 days. …

And what do you think is the reason for those low numbers? Ignorance of the stupid public? Fans who know nothing?

One can destroy the best product (Frank Zappa's legacy in this case) through wrong strategies in marketing, communication, repertoire decisions, technical treatment of the material, etc.

Th.

And the composer is not living anymore or creating any new material. New fans are being made every day, I'm sure, but there's TONS of stuff out there already. I doubt the budget is there for a marketing campaign. I think this is part of it, too.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:43 am 

She CLEARLY said that Ruth is doing the liner notes for the ROXY Soundtrack that will be released by the end of the year. If this is in fact true it BETTER be the COMPLETE performances!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:47 am 

Trendmonger wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:

Good work. Just noticed this topic. A cousin of mine went to the Carnegie Hall Shows. This is a long awaited release. As a word of note you will be saving $5. As far as your accounting of taste you clearly make your point. On top of that in this economy I can see for some purchasing decisions are a bit more calculated. Nice $5 shipping promo for the entire order is on the table right now.

For me I don't have any vices that take budget money from my pocket on a daily basis. $5 is round trip gas money to the park or store but those trips can also be limited for many. For the current $5 promotion for shipping it is a win win for me. For those that are waiting for any reason I hope a nice holiday shipping arrangement suits their needs. I'm thinking we even may get a bit more than what we have heard about. I do remember Gail made a little comment a while back which hinted at such. She is giving some good general information if people are listening to the answers. All the projects fans have been discussing and from my guess I will boldly state even more. It's a great time to be alive. Peace.

SHUT THE FUCK UP!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:50 am 

And the thing about Hot Rats makes NO sense. The Ryko version is the remix. There should be nothing stopping them from releasing the original mix plus the rest of the complete recordings from those sessions. FUCK RYKO AND FUCK WARNER BROTHERS!!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:55 am 

Trendmonger wrote:
Thinman wrote:

Th.

The viewpoint you give here is so very short sighted. What is so difficult to understand that limited information before the release protects the rights of the artists against bootleggers. The pre-sale gives an opportunity for fans that are interested at that time to buy it. There have been times where we have seen flash promos with visual and audio examples but it should be obvious that these things take time and money to make. I am not saying that budget is the definitive factor why any given flash promo has or has not been made on any given project but it is something to think about.

I have not noticed a sold out sign before the pre-sale is over but that is the chance you take if you want to wait for fan reviews and or purchase any given product post pre-sale for any reason. These CDs are made in limited quantities. Frank Zappa's works be it Zappa Records or Vaulternative Records are a special product we can not get anywhere else. History should tell us enough about all these factors that I am mentioning and then put the war Gail speaks of on that equation and that also limits given opportunities for given forms of projects.

It makes no sense for me to blow air into a pneumatic tire that has gone flat but certainly I am not a fan that needs to wait for any feedback. A new project becomes available and I buy it. I have been extremely happy with each and every pre-sale. With all my entertainment choices in life Zappa & Vaulternative Records is what most definitively defines my idea of a good time. Every fan can make his or her own decision if they should purchase any given project at any time. For each release the ZFT have put out, we are rapidly approaching 40, certainly we are far beyond confidentiality under a pre-sale time frame for each of the many projects that are no longer offered as a pre-sale. Each and every Zappa & Vaulternative Records releases that comes out. This whole nonsense of digging out the information between the lines is no different than the crap the media was writing in the 60s. By now the fans should know what the composer was about. When the Feeding The Monkies At Ma Maison description clearly states "Realized by FZ on his Synclavier. All tracks produced by Frank Zappa." that within itself should give many fans an idea if pre-sale is something they are interested in but I can go far back as FZ:OZ where several months of pre-sales where we had plenty enough information of a live show from a given tour and still only 2,035 pre-sales in well over 100 days. I don't buy into any of the fan pissing and moaning.

You are a complete and utter shithead. Do you really believe that there are tapes just floating around of the material from a release like "Feeding The Monkies At Ma Maison"? Or for that matter most of what is coming out of the vault in the past years?

GO BACK INTO YOUR FUCKING HOLE!!