Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: ORWELL
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:49 am 

Ten great quotes from George Orwell that seem to fit today's world:

1 “In our age there is no such thing as ‘keeping out of politics.’ All issues are political issues, and politics itself is a mass of lies, evasions, folly, hatred and schizophrenia.”

2 “All the war-propaganda, all the screaming and lies and hatred, comes invariably from people who are not fighting.”

3 “War against a foreign country only happens when the moneyed classes think they are going to profit from it.”

4 “The very concept of objective truth is fading out of the world. Lies will pass into history.”

5 “In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”

6 “Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed: everything else is public relations.”

7 “In real life it is always the anvil that breaks the hammer…”

8 “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.”

9 “Threats to freedom of speech, writing and action, though often trivial in isolation, are cumulative in their effect and, unless checked, lead to a general disrespect for the rights of the citizen.”

10 “If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face—forever.”

http://www.blacklistednews.com/10_Georg ... 8/Y/M.html

Post subject: Re: ORWELL
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:56 pm 

I've read Animal Farm...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:39 pm 

I enjoyed 1984. One of the best dystopian novels I've read. It runs parallel in many ways to the 1971 George Lucas film THX-1138.

1. The concept of love has been outlawed.
2. Personality and personal expression has been banished
3. Main character uncovers the larger picture and the truth behind the lie.
4. Food, shelter, employment, are assigned to each citizen.
5. Everyone is kept under surveillance. People are encouraged to spy on & turn in their neighbors.
6 Facts are adjusted or even obliterated to fit various situations. People cease to exist all records of them are destroyed.
7. Fictional external situations (wars) are made in order to facilitate greater production.

I signed on the line for seven long years.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:03 pm 

It's been a good while since I've read 1984 or Animal Farm.

I don't think the current world situation has devolved to the point that we can compare it to 1984...but, I do think the "character" of Emmanuel Goldstein is comparable to current fear icons like Osama bin Laden, Al Queda, or ISIS. They are not what they are portrayed to be, they are target symbols for controlled and directed hatred, created by the State.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emmanuel_Goldstein

I do like reading older novels and stories that depict a future world. The future ain't what it used to be, according to Yogi Berra, but some of these guys saw what was coming with pretty fair accuracy. H. G. Wells comes to mind, and E. M. Forster...The Machine Stops:

http://archive.ncsa.illinois.edu/prajlich/forster.html

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:30 pm 

I also think it's cool that John Hurt played Winston Smith in 1984 AND evil Adam Sutler in V for Vendetta.

He was also in Spaceballs.

Just sayin'.

These are good topics.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:04 pm 

A rope leash wrote:
I do like reading older novels and stories that depict a future world. ... some of these guys saw what was coming with pretty fair accuracy. H. G. Wells comes to mind, and E. M. Forster...The Machine Stops:

http://archive.ncsa.illinois.edu/prajlich/forster.html

Harry Harrison's book "Make Room! Make Room!" which later was used as source material for the film "Soylent Green" discusses the year 2022 which is just around the corner. Overpopulation and food insecurity are the two big themes. More people on Earth than ever before will become a greater balancing act. Food, shelter, health, clean water, and even personal space.

I signed on the line for seven long years.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:46 pm 

I'll have to check out Harry Harrison...I've heard a lot of his stuff is pretty comical, and good reading.

I read Aldous Huxley's Brave New World a couple of years ago, and found it hard to believe it was written in 1931. It's quite predictive. Another novel from that era is Sinclair Lewis' It Can't Happen Here, which is set in a near future and depicts the USA as it turns into a fascist state. It is quite entertaining.

...not that I read a lot anymore, but when I do it tends to be this kind of stuff.

Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce...that's some tasty mind food.