Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2002 11:21 am 

<br><br>I’d say one of my favourite things about Uncle Frank’s music is the amazing instrumentals. There are so many. I love the complexity of them and the amazing musicianship.<br><br>Many people find this side of Frank’s music to be a BIT FAR OUT but although some of it maybe a little adventurous on the ears first listen, the rewards are to be had if you give the composition a chance.<br><br>If you take yer typical catchy pop song (Don’t even get many of them these days I know) where you just cannot stop listening to it for ages until you eventually get board of it, well with the more complex stuff it’s like there is so much more substance in there if you are prepared to give it a chance.<br><br>How many other people here dig this side of Franks music?<br>

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2002 2:20 pm 

the difficult stuff is the best, thats what got me hooked the first time i'd heard him....i remember the song was "jazz discharge party hats " and being a guitarist i thought ...my gosh.....that sounds impossibly hard......but i like the doo-wop stuff too...tutto bene

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2002 3:10 am 

Yeah, your right and once you get that melody in yer head you know it's a frank melody. All of these types of composition have that melody that is just so Frank. It's quite unique and very special.<br><br>I do have phase 3 but I'm not ready for it. I honestly believe it will take me the rest of my life to come to terms with that album and get into it. I'm not saying I don't like it - just I'm not ready for it.<br><br>That's what I like about Franks music. I got many FZ albums but did not get into them until 2 or 3 years after I got it.<br>There's so much music, you kinda have to work your way into some of it over time. It's wonderful.<br>

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2002 3:21 am 

I really like the complex instrumental compositions from '73 and '74, like RDNZL, Echidna's Arf, Farther O'Blivion and Dupree's Paradise. And all the Wazoo stuff of course. <br><br>I admire the complexity of all the synclavier compositions, but I'm kinda missing the 'human element' there. It took me a long time to really appreciate Civ III, and Jazz From Hell still doesn't get many spins here.  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2002 2:07 pm 

This complexity is one of the main reasons why so many people don't like FZ.<br>They listen to it and go:'' No sir, i don't like it...''<br>For people who are used to ''normal'' music with a ''normal'' melody, Frank's music is just a little to much to digest....<br>Shame on them, their time will come....<br><br>I no longer look at Frank's music as being complex, except for Civilization Phaze III.....that's still a difficult one, even for me...No, Frank has written complex and difficult music, but if you take time and give his music a change, you will find out that the man has written a lot of beautiful melodies, that will stick with you until the end of time.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 7:20 pm 

Has anybody heard of the Mahavishnu Orchertra?  Instrumental band.  Sounds like Jean Luc Ponty.  Amazing!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 8:13 pm 

[quote author=Butch link=board=general;num=1034893265;start=0#8 date=03/01/03 at 21:20:07]Has anybody heard of the Mahavishnu Orchestra?  Instrumental band.  Sounds like Jean Luc Ponty.  Amazing! [/quote]<br><br><br>jerry goodman on violin had that ponty sound..he played w/jan hammer for a while...billy cobham on drums...& john mcLaughlin

Last edited by slime.oofytv.set on Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 12:23 pm 

Music is unlimited. The 12 notes system is a western custom and so are 4/4 and 6/8 for rythm. Indian musicians teach us many things about opportunities that we have with music. In music, combinations are unlimited. Zappa's value has been in reaching combinations that none could reach before... he had an exceptional brain in writing music and an exceptional taste in searching, choosing, directing phenomenal musicians.<br><br>Ciao  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 3:59 pm 

How about The Deathless Horsie oe Corks & Safetys ?<br>Years ago when I had my own show on WAIF in Cincinnasty I played only FRANK 2 nights a week. One camp wanted me to play the ' HITS '. The other camp wanted the instrumentals. Got to know a few of the ' Other People ' . They all playe with the symphony there in town. I'm with them - I'll take the ' Hard as Fuck but you can still dance to it " tribe. ;D

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 6:54 pm 

arkay wrote:
I think this thread has great commercial potential. I'd be interested to find out how many non-musicians get into the extremely complicated stuff....
the complex tunes where after 10 or 15 times you pick up something new each time; some coltrane, crimson, gentle giant

Last edited by slime.oofytv.set on Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.