Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 4:34 pm 

Donegal X-Press in NYC - Irish Rock<br>Irish Edge - Baltimore - Irish Folk<br>Dogs Among the Bushes - Baltimore - Irish Traditional<br>Pierce Turner - NYC - Irish soul<br>Rolling Stones on Oct. 5 in Hartford Ct<br>Seamus Kennedy on Oct. 11 in Lafayette Hill, Pa.<br>

l)
l

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 4:13 am 

Going back a couple years up to present.....<br><br>The Grandmothers (2 times)<br>Jeff Beck<br>Roger Waters (3 times)<br>Bob Dylan <br>The Who/Robert Plant<br>Joe Satriani<br>The Moody Blues (2)<br><br>And a few others.<br><br>

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 4:17 am 

Haven't seen too many concerts this year, but I went to the 3-day North Sea Jazz-festival in The Hague. Saw a lot of fabulous musicians there, including McCoy Tyner and Elvin Jones (two of my musical heroes, I am a big Coltrane-fan) , Mike Keneally & BFD and a lot of other artists.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 2:13 pm 

Victor Wooten - Water St. Music Hall, Rochester NY<br>Rollins Band - Showplace Theater, Buffalo NY<br>Mahavishnu Project+ David Sancious/Will Calhoun-Tralf, Buffalo<br>Tony Levin - Tralf, Buffalo<br>Sonny Rollins - Eastman Theater, Rochester<br>Rush - Six Flags P.A.C., Darien NY<br>Derek Trucks Band - Fleet Park, Rochester<br>Tool + Tomahawk - HSBC Arena, Buffalo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 6:35 pm 

Zombie, cool.. I've been to about 7 Zombie shows since the HDLX Tour in '98.<br>The last one was the Marry Mayhem show in Memphis.<br>~<br>Over the Summer. I went to, two shows, The Unlimited Sunshine Tour ( featuring -Kinky, Hacksaw Boys, Modest Mouse, De La Soul, Flaming Lips, and Cake)<br><br>And of course, the TMBG 20th Anniversary Tour.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 9:20 pm 

david murray quintet

Last edited by slime.oofytv.set on Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 11:37 pm 

Best one has been 6 months ago (maybe more?) David Bowie in Lucca (Italia); I'm waiting for Bjork, in June, in Verona).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 10:35 am 

These are the conserts from my intire life (not a lot of bands come to Finland):<br><br>AC/DC (2000)<br>Jethro Tull (2001)<br>Yes (2001)<br>Sigma (2002)<br><br>And next June I'll be attending King Crimson consert.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 12:01 pm 

Last one i saw was Mike Keneally and tomorrow i´m going to see the mighty Messhuggah! Zawinul syndicate is comin up next month and hopefully King Crimson too after that.<br><br>Biggest shows last year for me were by Slayer and  Fishbone, they still rule.<br><br>Niin ja tervetuloa sivuille Henrik!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 12:40 pm 

King Crimson on March 16th. Really good show.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 1:25 pm 

[quote author=Arkay link=board=general;num=1033524778;start=15#17 date=03/26/03 at 14:20:34]<br>I didn't know any Meshuggah, so I looked em up on allmusicguide.  They describe them as a progressive metal band with various influences, pschadelice etc...<br>It seems like they could be about anything!  Gimme a clue as to why you like em.<br>Thanx,<br>- Arkay[/quote]<br><br>Sebastiaans words fit the band like a glove. Messhuggah is very aggressive, very rhythmic and  very heavy in all ways. Here´s a short snippet of sound:<br><br>http://www.bullymag.com/9.6.02/mesh1.ram<br><br>And here are some descriptive words from a website i found:<br><br>How does one describe Meshuggah? To call them a heavy band would sell them short, forgetting the intricate rhythmic textures they work with. To call them a progressive metal band would betray the brutality of their sound. It is Slayer meets Rush. Or King Crimson meets old-school Metallica. Hell that's even an insult. Their sound is undefinable and all their own. <br><br><br><br> <br>Meshuggah's sound takes standard rhythms and twists them into intricate, multi-layered compositions that at first sound as their being played in odd-time. In weird sort of way, lead singer Jens Kidman becomes the foundation with his straightforward growling, while the rest of the members can weave off into different rhythmic patterns. Guitarists Fredrik Thorendal and Marten Hagstrom, both wielding downtuned guitars (even sporting specially crafted 8-string axes for their current tour) play in syncopated rhythms along with drummer Tomas Haake, creating a style that would thrill jazz players with its technique while horrifying them with its heaviness. Drummer Tomas Haake plays with four limbed independence that would frighten most rock drummers. Lead guitarist Thorendal seems to work in a sonic spectrum all his own, choosing licks that, much like the band's overall sound, are unique to him. <br><br>What's most incredible is that the sound keeps evolving. No two Meshuggah albums are the same. You could listen to Destroy Erase Improve and Chaosphere simultaneously and hear two completely different discs. Their newest album, Nothing, retreats back from the sonic velocity of Chaosphere and focuses more on a slower, grinding heaviness. <br><br>Live, the band hits with the intensity of a hardcore act, led by Kidman who throws himself to the frontline of the sonic assault. Much like the title of their album, the Meshuggah live set leaves it all to the music. No masks, no makeup, no fire or explosions. Just purely crushing music that makes the jaw drop at every instant. <br><br>Finally, Americans have begun to take notice of Meshuggah. While the rest of the world has already hailed these five Swedes as one of the most groundbreaking acts to grace the stage in quite some time, Americans didn't take notice until Ozzy Osbourne, Slayer, and Tool got involved and took Meshuggah out on the road with them. But in a way that's almost better. Rather than riding the crest of some trend, Meshuggah is coming up the old fashioned way - by creating incredible music and playing it in front of as many punters as possible. <br><br>---So if you are  into agressive and heavy music check them out. I myself like to get a "metal fix" from time to time...hey i grew up in the 80`s, you know?<br><br>By the way, there´s a sort of a Zappa connection, the swedish drummer Morgan Ågren (from Zappa´s universe) played on Thorendals solo cd.<br>