The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:37 pm 

Which brand do you smoke?

Gauloises brunes (légères)
The light version of the typical French Gauloises

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:56 am 

Filter cigarettes: Camel, Malboro, Blue Master.
Tobacco: Red Mixture 3
:smoke:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:24 am 

Healthy ones, I roll my own and use Pipe Tobacco which has never been linked to cancer, I have been self rolling 80% to 90% of my own for 4 years and I don't have the issues that I did with Marlboro... :smoke:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:57 am 

Plook wrote:
I roll my own and use Pipe Tobacco which has never been linked to cancer

Sorry, but I just don't believe that!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:38 pm 

Winston.

Sometimes Afri and Roth-Händle Filter (tobacco without additives).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:17 pm 

Yeah, inhaling smoke of any kind is not good for you whether it's from cigarettes or pipes.

Anyway I smoke Marlboro at the moment, but I'm thinking about not buying any more after this pack and just seeing how it goes.

Stream my music here.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:40 pm 

Riva 901

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:41 pm 

ophone wrote:
Plook wrote:

Check it out...that way you can have an opinion based on information, anyone can think, but one must research to know... :smoke:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:49 pm 

Plook wrote:
ophone wrote:
Plook wrote:

Check it out...that way you can have an opinion based on information, anyone can think, but one must research to know... :smoke:

"Pipe smokers have an increased risk of dying from cancers of the lung, throat, esophagus, larynx, pancreas, and colon and rectum. They also have an increased risk of dying of heart disease, stroke, and chronic lung disease. The level of these risks seems to be about the same as that for cigar smokers.

Smoking cigars or pipes is not a safe alternative to smoking cigarettes.

To learn more, please see our document called Cigar Smoking.

Last Medical Review: 11/04/2011
Last Revised: 11/21/2011"

http://www.cancer.org/Cancer/CancerCaus ... pes-cigars

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:11 pm 

just plain doug wrote:
"Pipe smokers have an increased risk of dying from cancers of the lung, throat, esophagus, larynx, pancreas, and colon and rectum. They also have an increased risk of dying of heart disease, stroke, and chronic lung disease. The level of these risks seems to be about the same as that for cigar smokers.

No Doug, read the sites that say it's safe! Just because it has cancer.org in the title doesn't mean it's true!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:03 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
just plain doug wrote:

No Doug, read the sites that say it's safe! Just because it has cancer.org in the title doesn't mean it's true!
Sorry. I don't subscribe to Rolling Stone.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:17 pm 

Plook wrote:
Healthy ones, I roll my own and use Pipe Tobacco which has never been linked to cancer, I have been self rolling 80% to 90% of my own for 4 years and I don't have the issues that I did with Marlboro... :smoke:

No offense Plook, but when I read this all the Crap Detectors in the neighborhood went off simultaneously. :) I did a little quick internet research and I did see some some comments that pipe tobacco might be somewhat safer because it doesn't have all the added chemicals that cigarettes do but if you want me to believe that any tobacco is free of toxins or carcinogens then your going to have to prove it with some reliable documentation, my friend. :smoke:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:53 pm 

I am sure smoking can increase your risk for some lung related disease, but they have so over blown the research that you never hear these stories

Passive smoking not so bad?
A study concludes that inhaling passive smoke may not be as bad for you as was previously believed; though some have questioned the findings.
21 05 2003
Have we all been duped into believing that passive smoking, inhaling other people’s smoke, is bad for us? There’s an international row over a study published in the British Medical Journal.
In a paper that many people in public health wish had never seen the light of day, Californian researchers found no increased risk from what’s called 'environmental tobacco smoke'.
They analysed information from 118,000 people followed for about 40 years, focusing on people who never smoked who were married to someone with known smoking habits.
If someone lived with a heavy smoker it was assumed they had heavy passive exposure to tobacco smoke.
But the results found no link with heart disease or lung cancer and maybe a small risk of chronic obstructive lung disease.
The findings don’t necessarily turn a decade of passive smoking legislation on its head though. The study has been criticised on a number of fronts: there was no objective measure of smoke exposure, the group of people was not typical of the normal population, they were wealthier than average (which could mean a bigger house and less exposure to smoke. Others have pointed out the study was partly funded by the tobacco industry.
Even so it will open up past data to re-examination.

Another story you don’t hear is about the Professor at Irvine University that completed a long term study that concluded that not only second hand smoke but smoking itself may not have as strong a link to Asthma and Cancer. Part of his findings were based on statistic related to increase Asthma and Lung Cancer while the number of smokers has dropped in the last 25 years over 50%, Asthma has gone up in children over 100% and Lung Cancer rates has doubled, there was not only a lack of a correlated drop in these diseases, but staggering increases. The Professor would not retract his paper as asked to by the University which is a leader in anti-smoking research (and funding) and had Tenure removed and fired. This was a huge story when I was working in LA in 2010, but I never saw it reported nationally.

Another story you don’t here much that was on 60 minutes concerned Detectives at a Police Department that smoked were let go, they had to bring them back because it turned out the ones that smoked were better at solving crimes.

They have most people brainwashed that everything is linked to smoking and smoke, yet all those people who were alive in the 40's, 50's, and 60's that were in smoked filled rooms, cars, halls, restaurants, stadiums…these people are living longer in greater numbers than any generation before, where are the effects?

They are scaring the shit out of people in California with commercials showing other peoples smoke coming through your heat and air system and through the walls, what the fuck, if smoke is getting through a closed ventilation system and walls in an apartment, the smoker next door is not the problem the fucking building is!

They don’t want you to know that all this bad health stuff is not the smoking bogyman, but it could very well be your water, your food, electricity…hell how well will that go over “TV causes cancer news at eleven.”

As for studies, if you had a bus crash with 30 people on board and 2 of them smoked (not on the bus), somehow the headline would be “bus crashes linked to smoking”. Hell I saw a News line that said men who smoke were stupider (the word they used) than their counter parts, come on man, give me a fucking break.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:06 pm 

Plook wrote:
I am sure smoking can increase your risk for some lung related disease, but they have so over blown the research that you never hear these stories

A study concludes that inhaling passive smoke may not be as bad for you as was previously believed; though some have questioned the findings.
21 05 2003
Have we all been duped into believing that passive smoking, inhaling other people’s smoke, is bad for us? There’s an international row over a study published in the British Medical Journal.
In a paper that many people in public health wish had never seen the light of day, Californian researchers found no increased risk from what’s called 'environmental tobacco smoke'.
They analysed information from 118,000 people followed for about 40 years, focusing on people who never smoked who were married to someone with known smoking habits.
If someone lived with a heavy smoker it was assumed they had heavy passive exposure to tobacco smoke.
But the results found no link with heart disease or lung cancer and maybe a small risk of chronic obstructive lung disease.
The findings don’t necessarily turn a decade of passive smoking legislation on its head though. The study has been criticised on a number of fronts: there was no objective measure of smoke exposure, the group of people was not typical of the normal population, they were wealthier than average (which could mean a bigger house and less exposure to smoke. Others have pointed out the study was partly funded by the tobacco industry.

Another story you don’t hear is about the Professor at Irvine University that completed a long term study that concluded that not only second hand smoke but smoking itself may not have as strong a link to Asthma and Cancer. Part of his findings were based on statistic related to increase Asthma and Lung Cancer while the number of smokers has dropped in the last 25 years over 50%, Asthma has gone up in children over 100% and Lung Cancer rates has doubled, there was not only a lack of a correlated drop in these diseases, but staggering increases. The Professor would not retract his paper as asked to by the University which is a leader in anti-smoking research (and funding) and had Tenure removed and fired. This was a huge story when I was working in LA in 2010, but I never saw it reported nationally.

Another story you don’t here much that was on 60 minutes concerned Detectives at a Police Department that smoked were let go, they had to bring them back because it turned out the ones that smoked were better at solving crimes.

They have most people brainwashed that everything is linked to smoking and smoke, yet all those people who were alive in the 40's, 50's, and 60's that were in smoked filled rooms, cars, halls, restaurants, stadiums…these people are living longer in greater numbers than any generation before, where are the effects?

They are scaring the shit out of people in California with commercials showing other peoples smoke coming through your heat and air system and through the walls, what the fuck, if smoke is getting through a closed ventilation system and walls in an apartment, the smoker next door is not the problem the fucking building is!

They don’t want you to know that all this bad health stuff is not the smoking bogyman, but it could very well be your water, your food, electricity…hell how well will that go over “TV causes cancer news at eleven.”

As for studies, if you had a bus crash with 30 people on board and 2 of them smoked (not on the bus), somehow the headline would be “bus crashes linked to smoking”. Hell I saw a News line that said men who smoke were stupider (the word they used) than their counter parts, come on man, give me a fucking break.

Lots of proof there, chief.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:12 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
Plook wrote:

21 05 2003

Lots of proof there, chief.

Thats the point...anything contrary to the party line is snuffed out (to borrow me a pun), the smokers is the new perriah, hey it is food next, then maybe music... :smoke:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:20 pm 

I think that some casual smokers (as opposed to chain smokers) probably have no significant health risks and may even benefit from their "habit" (stress reduction, etc.). In general though, I would think most tobacco users are increasing their risks. No sense worrying about it though.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:29 pm 

I didn't want this to change this to a anti/pro smoking debate.

I smoked Old Gold Lights. Quit 6 years ago.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:36 pm 

I chewed Copenhagen from 1978 through 2006. I wish I had quit a lot earlier.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:54 am 

KillUgly2 wrote:
I think that some casual smokers (as opposed to chain smokers) probably have no significant health risks and may even benefit from their "habit" (stress reduction, etc.). In general though, I would think most tobacco users are increasing their risks. No sense worrying about it though.

I think the commercially produced cigs are so loaded with additives (not unlike foods) that they have to have an adverse effect, most pipe tobacco is dried and additive free, this does not make it completely safe...what is. By the way you and your neighbors obviousely bought cheep knock off crapdetectors at Walmart... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:38 pm 

camel.

15-20 a day.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:38 am 

Used to love Golden Virginia with red rizzlas and slim line Swan filters.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:04 am 

I've smoked them all.
After quitting for over a year and a half, i started again.

now on Marlboro Lights "The most addictive smoke on the planet".

However, nothing beats a good smoke with a cup of coffee. FZ had it right all along.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:49 am 

ophone wrote:
If you are a smoker of ciggies...

you are a fucking idiot!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:33 pm 

jaypfunk wrote:
ophone wrote:
If you are a smoker of ciggies...

you are a fucking idiot!!

Hmmm... :smoke:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:13 pm 

jaypfunk wrote: