Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:48 pm 

http://www.discogs.com/lists/The-Wires-100-Records-That-Set-The-World-On-Fire-While-No-One-Was-Listening-extra-30-Records/421

The Wire's "100 Records That Set The World On Fire (While No One Was Listening) + extra 30 Records"
No FZ (probably cause someone WAS listening)!
But Beefheart, Johnny guitar Watson, Charles Yves, Conlon Nancarrow, Last Exit, Henry Cow, Glenn Gould, Sun Ra, Public Enemy, Last poets...
Lots of Jazz/Avantgarde/minimal/"serious"/... music, black music, pop(?). Most albums contain a short description and an image of the album cover. Contrary to those ridiculous rolling stone type 100s-lists this one might really be worth to attend.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:09 pm 

excellent, ursinator, thanks for posting. i own 8 albums on the list and wrote down a dozen that i want to check into.

>You don't.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:28 pm 

I have 0 (zero) of these.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:18 pm 

I have 4 of them. (But 3 copies of one of those 4)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:47 am 

I counted 11.

The only one i consistently listen to is "Kip Hanrahan-Desire Develops an Edge"

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:35 am 

I know Lewis Furey, but that shouldn't surprise you. But I don't really own any of those, to my utter shame.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:50 am 

I'm glad I found at least 1 I own.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:37 am 

From the list of 100 Worst Solos

2 BLUE CHEER
“Summertime Blues”
Vincebus Eruptum(1968)
GUITARIST: Leigh Stephens

The heaviest band of their day, Blue Cheer made a pretty convincing case for being the lousiest as well. Guitarists and rock critics alike have spent decades debating the worst aspect of their lone hit: Is it the witless whammy bar break in the first verse? The Hendrixon– Boone’s Farm–and-Quaaludes guitar solo? The agonizing onenote- at-a-time full-octave climb to the final verse? Whichever you choose, there’s no doubt that the cumulative effect had Eddie Cochran turning in his grave like a rotisserie chicken.

From this list of 130:
Named after a particularly potent brand of street acid, Blue Cheer were the 60s progenitors of Heavy Metal. A group who played so hard and loud that, so rumour persists, they inadvertently caused the early demise of a dog which strayed on stage while they were improvising. Vincebus Eruptum, their seminal debut, snarled rabidly in the face of hippy innocence and soon became a Hell's Angels party stomper. 30 years later, the record would inspire a horde of suitably impressed Japanese noise trios to pay mutated homage to the group. Vincebus Eruptum may have failed to impress the Woodstock generation with its full on sonic rock attack and textured silver sleeve, but without its raw power both High Rise and Musica Transonic would have remained mere twinkles in Nanjo Asahito's eye. EP

I enjoy Blue Cheer, fun stuff.

Otherwise, I don't understand alot of the choices. Alot of these choices are random selections from the 1000 albums to hear before you die-type books. I don't think I'd pick the Phil Ochs album that they did. Same with Miles, Capt. Beefheart, Residents. Nancarrow is great, Ayler and Ayers are freaks in their own ways, I hate Walker Brothers and Labradford. Whatever their criteria is though, Joe Meek and Silver Apples totally fit it and are a blast.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:31 pm 

The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
Otherwise, I don't understand alot of the choices. Alot of these choices are random selections from the 1000 albums to hear before you die-type books. I don't think I'd pick the Phil Ochs album that they did. Same with Miles, Capt. Beefheart, Residents. Nancarrow is great, Ayler and Ayers are freaks in their own ways, I hate Walker Brothers and Labradford. Whatever their criteria is though, Joe Meek and Silver Apples totally fit it and are a blast.

it seems in many cases they were picking what they felt were "blueprint" (or as i prefer to say, "template") albums that laid the groundwork for similar things that followed, while at the same time remaining in relative obscurity themselves. like the steve reich, for example. i too was miffed at some of the selections, and also pleasantly surprised (henry cow's concerts, robert fripp's exposure), but not sure if i agree with your randomness assertion. btw, silver apples is on my list to check out.

>You don't.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:23 pm 

sleeping in a jar wrote:

it seems in many cases they were picking what they felt were "blueprint" (or as i prefer to say, "template") albums that laid the groundwork for similar things that followed, while at the same time remaining in relative obscurity themselves. like the steve reich, for example. i too was miffed at some of the selections, and also pleasantly surprised (henry cow's concerts, robert fripp's exposure), but not sure if i agree with your randomness assertion. btw, silver apples is on my list to check out.

Yeah, but, uh, yeah, well, ya know, how 'bout now? Now do you agree?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:39 pm 

sleeping in a jar wrote:

Yeah, but, uh, yeah, well, ya know, how 'bout now? Now do you agree?

oh, yeah, RIGHT!!! how do i like you NOW??? huh???? WHATEVER!

>You don't.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:30 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
I have 0 (zero) of these.
Until recently I had none of these. A few years ago I bought no 109, Eric Dolphy - Out To Lunch, which is a great album and shines a light on some of FZ's music. At the time these albums came out, I was obviously not even singed.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:55 pm 

You can get a sampling of most of these on youtube. Sometimes the whole album.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:06 pm 

The only album I've ever bought out of those is the Eric Dolphy. There are a few other names on there that I've enjoyed on compilations or in other forms but many other names that I've been intrigued by but never really checked out. Makes me think I shouldn't be such a Zappa, Tull, Rundgren, Crimson, etc., completist are start checking out more of this and other stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:28 am 

I own seven records on this list. Hoopla.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:35 am 

since reading the list i've purchased sextant by herbie hancock and the serpent's egg by dead can dance. like 'em both.

>You don't.