Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:04 pm 

http://www.nme.com/news/nme/37105

Get well soon, Jon!
:(

"If you wind up with a boring, miserable life because you listened to your mother, your Dad, your priest, to some guy on television, to any of the people telling you how to do your shit, then you DESERVE it."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:35 pm 

What? He's a vegetarian! Eat some sprouts and get out there!

Seriously, I hope he's alright.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:52 pm 

I can't believe it's been 15 years since they last toured. Time is moving so fast now it's getting blurry. :|

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:29 pm 

I wish John the best of health but this makes me remember of a time of YES that I liked very much.

Sans Jon Anderson YES .

DRAMA

While not Trevor Horn I found this slightly entertaining.
The Kid in the back is minimally impressive. I like the way he can pick his nose between drum beats and I wonder if Grandma knits yarn as well as she whistles.

'Into The Lens'(Yes, Drama album) sung-along by die-hard Drama Yesfans in Napa! Filmed during the Sing-along party at cjreyes's, accompanied by ASW.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKRda5m5BVY

and now for the real thing

Yes - Into The Lens
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBj9u85k ... re=related

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Frank Zappa left the ZFT in Control of his Vaults and Artistic rights.
We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:36 pm 

swiftkicknow wrote:
I can't believe it's been 15 years since they last toured. Time is moving so fast now it's getting blurry. :|

I don't know where you saw that but that information is incorrect.

I last saw them in 97, and they last toured in 2004.

http://www.forgottenyesterdays.com/

At any rate, I am truly disappointed, as I am a Hard-Core Yes fan and had tickets to see them at the very small Hard Rock, Orlando.

Get well soon Jon, and come see is in 6 months!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:22 pm 

ebick wrote:
swiftkicknow wrote:

I don't know where you saw that but that information is incorrect.

I saw it when i clicked on the link on the first post.

I thought that sounded wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:28 pm 

swiftkicknow wrote:

I saw them in 2003 swifty...maybe you're thinkin of Genesis? It had been 15 years since they last toured prior to fall 07.

Anyway, sad sad news. I had tix to see them at PNC Arts Center, Holmdel, NJ ...decent seats...oh well...maybe next year.

Edit: The link DOES say it was the bands first tour in 15 years...they be mistaken.

>You don't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:19 pm 

swiftkicknow wrote:
I saw it when i clicked on the link on the first post.

I thought that sounded wrong.

Yes, I see that now. I did not check there because I heard when my wife told me that the Hard Rock Orlando called my house to tell me. I then went to YesWorld.com for the official word.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:12 pm 

F U C K

I don't know how it would be now, but I have been amazed at how good Anderson continued to sound on each of the last few tours. Amazing really.

Hope they just do something in the winter or early 09.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:46 pm 

I was aware Jon suffered a severe asthma attack, as reported in their official website, yesworld.com, but I was still hoping he would make it... I hope he rests a lot and make out a new yes studio album before they kick into world tour in 2009 :dream:

All the best to this amazing musician that is Jon Anderson!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:35 pm 

ooh... hope all goes well. Yes still has plenty of creative power left, and Anderson has always been a big part of that. He always sounds great too, which is amazing considering the notes he has to hit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:52 pm 

They were live on PBS a concert in 2007,, and they were better than in 72 !!! The DVD can be bought.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:08 am 

BRAVO SIERRA wrote:
They were live on PBS a concert in 2007,, and they were better than in 72 !!! The DVD can be bought.

Was that the show with the orchestra from 2004? I have that DVD and it's one of my favorite concert DVDs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:36 am 

No I do not recall an orchestra, I mite be wrong on it being on PBS, it was on a HD music channel. I'll have to search the net and find it. They just played a concert ,and I was amazed at how great they sounded.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:57 am 

Once Jons up to it, and they carry on the tour and ( hopefully ) come here to the UK, I may go see them. Seen them 3 times before, and each time they were great.....As long as the tickets arent stupidly overpriced.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:12 am 

First time I've attempted to watch them was during the Talk tour, 1994, when I traveled around 400 km to Rio just to find out that it was sold out and that the guys who were supposed to buy tickets in advance haven't done so... At the time scalpers were charging literally around 50X the ticket price!

Then I watched the Open Your Eyes Tour, 1998 in Rio in the same venue, but in a stupid table/bar configuration, but with great setlist and great playing...

Then I saw the 1999 opening for the Ladder tour, where they pretty much tried things from the new album, they wouldn't play later on the tour... It was a gig filled with great energy from the band and from the public, in a free admittance config, in a traditional venue in rio, Canecão, a lot more appropriate for the rocking mood of that particular setlist. Imagine them opening the gig with Yours is No Disgrace and the public going wild! What a fun gig it was!!!

I also saw Rick Wakeman later in 2001, again in Canecão. but in the table/bar config. Who the fuck what waiters walking around during a rock show, gee!...

I really wish they could tour Brazil again...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:05 am 

feetlightup wrote:

Was that the show with the orchestra from 2004? I have that DVD and it's one of my favorite concert DVDs.

That is indeed an excellent show...my favorite versions of In the Presence Of and Ritual.

>You don't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:31 pm 

mountains come out of the sky and they

stand there

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:34 am 

:shock:

October 16, 2008 - In the Present Tour Update

Link has been added to the Tour page for Atlanta, on sale this Saturday, along with links for Biloxi and Greensboro (both are now on sale).

Steve Howe, Chris Squire, and Alan White will launch the "In The Present" tour starting November 4. They will be joined by keyboardist Oliver Wakeman and vocalist Benoit David. Click here for tour dates. More tour dates are being planned for early 2009.

Jon Anderson contacted YesWorld and wanted to convey his thanks to all those who have prayed for his speedy recovery. Jon will not be present for the current set of tour dates.

http://www.yesworld.com/

Conversation with
Oliver Wakeman
http://nfte.org/interviews/OW307.html

Benoît David
http://www.ctte.net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:09 am 

Yeah, this really sucks. There is no way in hell I would see "Yes" with a guy from a Yes tribute band singing in Jons place.

Absolutely ridiculous, money grabbing actions. Just wait until Jon can do it?

Bag of shit

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:35 pm 

PappaWas1975 wrote:
Yeah, this really sucks. There is no way in hell I would see "Yes" with a guy from a Yes tribute band singing in Jons place.

Absolutely ridiculous, money grabbing actions. Just wait until Jon can do it?

Bag of shit

Seems that Jon didn't quite approve it neither, at least in the beginning. From Wikipedia:

Quote:
A separate, North American tour entitled In The Present is set to begin November 4, 2008 in Ontario, Canada, featuring Howe, Squire & White, along with Oliver Wakeman on keyboards, and Canadian Benoît David on vocals.[11] David currently sings in progressive rock band Mystery and in a Yes tribute band called Close to the Edge. The shows are being billed as "Howe, Squire and White of YES," although many reports and outlets just call the band "YES"[12][13][14][15]. In the official press release, Squire stated, "This isn't an attempt to replace Jon Anderson, because as we all know, that would be impossible. With Benoît, we are bringing in a talented singer so that we can go out and honour the music of Yes for the fans who have waited for the past four years to see us perform." Squire also stated to the Associated Press that he is hopeful Anderson will be well enough to do shows next year, although Anderson has openly stated on his website that he was "disappointed" and "disrespected" by the move and lack of contact the other members have had with him since his illness, but all announcements saying this were subsequently removed from his website[16] and Squire has since said that the tour has Anderson's "blessings".[17]

Howe will return to work with Asia following the tour.[18]

But I have to confess, I think it would be great if Yes could recruit new [really] talented musicians to replace them as they expire, in order to carry Yes on and on, creating new music, not tied to the past but in a inventive and creative way, as the classical Yes once did...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:07 pm 

Interesting. I do see that the notice on Jon's site was removed.

I was really pissed aboutthis when I first heard it, but then got another perspective from a fellow Yes fan who may have been following the last several years closer than I.

It's confirmed that 2004 was the last Yes tour. I guess the other band members have been trying to get something together for a while now and Jon has been the hold out. He also did the School Of Rock thing which might have further frustrated the other band members.

So this latest cancellation, for valid reasons or not, may have just been responded to with a "well, we want to go out and tour and we have to do something".

I hope they patch things up. For me, if Jon, Steve & Chris are not on stage, it's not Yes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:12 pm 

ebick wrote:
Interesting. I do see that the notice on Jon's site was removed.

I was really pissed aboutthis when I first heard it, but then got another perspective from a fellow Yes fan who may have been following the last several years closer than I.

It's confirmed that 2004 was the last Yes tour. I guess the other band members have been trying to get something together for a while now and Jon has been the hold out. He also did the School Of Rock thing which might have further frustrated the other band members.

So this latest cancellation, for valid reasons or not, may have just been responded to with a "well, we want to go out and tour and we have to do something".

I hope they patch things up. For me, if Jon, Steve & Chris are not on stage, it's not Yes.

If the two Buggles aren't with them, I absolutely refuse to even entertain the idea of seeing them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:41 pm 

Yes and Rush are my favorites after FZ!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:17 am 

Anyone attending the Yes gig tonight in Rama, Ontario?