Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2002 5:14 pm 

The first rock concert I attended was Jethro Tull's Istanbul concert in July 1991. I was very much into Tull music back then (another underrated member of the rock world). Prior to that, the only concerts that would qualify as "rock" which took place in Istanbul were Santana and Bob Dylan concerts, both of which I had missed. The demand was so huge that Jethro Tull had to play 4 gigs even though the initial programme had only one show.<br><br>I had been waiting for that concert for 4 years back then and it had been a great experience for me to hear the stuff live. I even had a chance to get an autograph by Ian Anderson on my flute. <br><br>They have been back here about 10 years later. In the meantime IA had deep vein thrombosis which caused the width of the used stage to shrink about two thirds. <br><br>I still regret not having an oppurtunity to see Zappa live :'(.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2002 7:18 pm 

Lifted from my website, a partial account:<br><br>"August 20th, 1976<br>Kiss, Ted Nugent, Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band, <br>(Plus possibly; Montrose, Uriah Heep and/ or Starz)<br><br>This is the one that started it all for me. <br>It took place at Anaheim Stadium, CA and I was 12 years old.<br>The same age as Jack Sawyer in King's "The Talisman".<br><br>Well, there is some confusion about which of the above Opening Acts actually played on that day, but I wouldn't know anyway, because we were LATE, my friend's mother having been defeated by traffic on the way down.<br><br>Bob Seger:<br>Who gives a rat's ass? Even back then, "Classic Rock" bored the shit out of me.<br><br>Ted Nugent:<br>A true maniac. An absolute madman. The guy is climbing up the 'K' of this HUGE, yet to be lit up KISS sign in daylight, with his HUGE Gibby Byrdland Guitar slung to his back. <br>When he gets to the top, (at least 60 feet) he rips this HUGE, overblown but pretty killer solo, all the while knowing that all eyes are on HIM, and ONLY HIM. That is Nuge for ya in a nutshell. I would later cross paths with his live extravaganzas 3 more times.<br><br>KISS:<br>What can you say? You have either seen them or you haven't. This show was the ultimate experience for a 12-year-old KISS freak.<br>It was the "Destroyer/ Spirit of '76" Tour, "Destroyer" arguably being their best release even to date. <br>The big highlight for me was seeing Gene cough up blood all over his armor during his "God Of Thunder" Bass solo; to see this spectacle live, rather than on the pages of "Creem" and "Circus" Magazines.<br><br>Ace Frehley was like an Alien GOD, rising up on a platform with his Triple-Double Humbucker-Clad Gibson Cherry Sunburst Les Paul Custom Spewing Foul Smoke. I later tried this with a firework wedged between the strings of my Japanese Les Paul Copy. (Warped Neck) It probably looked rather lame. Even to Hollye Holmes*. <br>The explosions were plentiful, the crowd went nuts, and this band really knew how to put on a Show."<br><br>I have never stopped attending concerts since. Thats-a-lotta shows, inc. Zappa twice, thank God.<br>By the way, does one need to put quotations on one's own words?<br><br><br>*(this is explained on the site)

yore barkin' up the wrong tree.
- Festus Haggen

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2002 2:50 am 

Frank Zappa.....Madison, Wisconsin.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2002 3:04 am 

Posted by: Dr.Including:<br>"I wish I could find a tape from that show." <br><br>This guy has your show! (well, it's the night before, for trade)<br><br>http://pw1.netcom.com/~angst81/auddj.htm<br><br>(give this page time to load)

yore barkin' up the wrong tree.
- Festus Haggen

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2002 2:21 pm 

Metallica w/ Queensryche opening - Rochester NY, War Memorial Aud, March '89. I was 15.<br><br><br>A year before that FZ played the same building. If only I would have known back then. :'( My parents aren't FZ fans, so they probably wouldn't have taken me anyways ::)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2002 3:46 pm 

Rush, I believe the 'power windows' tour, at what used to be Baltimore Civic Center.  Musta been '87.  Musta been 16 or so.  Wondered at the time what the funny smokey smell musta been.<br>Lotsa jean jackets with band-logo patches and airbrushed naked chicks, lotsa teenage-whiskers, notta lotsa girls :(<br><br>Saw those jokers another 3 times I think over the ensuing years before I realized just how bad their songs really are.  Sorry Rush fans, I just feel soooo used.<br><br>Most Embarrassed To Admit I Attended:  Journey, Raised On Radio Tour, at the old Capital Center in D.C.  Neil Schon caught a beer bottle on the forehead at that one, and Steve Perry spent several minutes taunting the audience trying to get the asshole to come forward... strangely rowdy concert given the amount of balladry and swooning girls present...one group of kids got arrested after their bizarre homemade freebasing unit literally exploded during (I think) Separate Ways.  Some bystanders got moderately burned.  The band had no onstage amplifiers or cabling whatsoever.  Weird show<br>

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2002 8:18 pm 

The Ozark Mountain Daredevils in Springfield Missouri..1980, I was 19 years old. <br><br>I went with my gf, and some other assorted friends and family..A great great show!! <br><br>They played for like 4 hours. Man,these people wrote some of the most beautiful songs in the world...I also picked up the Uncle Meat album along the way<br><br>I was very affected by the weed-smoke..Mostly the weed-we- were-smoking :D<br><br>I fell asleep at the wheel on the way back home.  :o <br><br>

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2002 12:48 pm 

I was 16. Me <br>and two friends went to New York <br>to see Rainbow play.<br><br>Friends Father drove us.<br>He waited in car outside<br>the Beacon Theater<br><br>Ritchie Blackmore played <br>a mean guitar. I Hadn't heard <br>of Frank Zappa yet.

l)
l

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2002 6:08 am 

Oh MY!<br>    It was the late 1970's and ,at a local CYC,the BIG deal was the concert by RAINBOW & (the yet virtually unknown )SCORPIONS!  It was the first day of hunting season and the place was almost empty...hunting season's a BIG ASS deal in this neck of the wood(and I DO mean WOODS=Scranton,PA!).<br>    So,we get our seats and the Scorps are up first.It was a cool set,with the early ,goofy songs like "He's A Woman,She's A Man"(which sounded like..."Heees a vooman,Shees a Maon!!"),and "I'm a Robot Man" (Ooooh,OOOh,OOOh,...I'm ze rrobot Maon,I'm Ze Looozer..HA!),it was a rocking weird set..just what I'd hoped for!<br>    Then Rainbow played...it rates as the ONLY concert that I've EVER seen a guitarist punch-out an audience member at!!Richie Blackmore was soloing near a big ,flat round metal thing on stage,and a fan near the front of the stage tossed his cigarrette towards Richie(it landed near the big ,flat metal bowl)...well,I see Richie's eyes go WIDE as he jumps to stomp the ciggie out as he still solos(this all from the balcony seat I had taken).  Next Richie ,still soloing, steps right on up to the front of the stage where our cigarette throwing guy is...he gets down on his knees and lures the fella closer to his guitar(up on stage ,almost!)and ,as the cigarette thrower cranes his neck up to the stage,Richie ,without missing a noter,SMASHES THE DUDE RIGHT IN THE FACE WITH HIS PLAYING HAND sending ciggie-dude flipping into the audience!  Well,at the end of the very same song the big,bowl-type things I talked about on stage went up in big 12 foot flames!  It turns out that Ciggie-dude almost incinerated Richie Blackmore,...live on stage in Scranton,PA! So, I guess he got what was coming...I was mystified before that!<br>    Well,the next day at school I was taunted for my Scorpions' LOVE DRIVE T-Shirt...'til the next year when the Scorpions went mainstream and everyone was buying 'em up,that is!My stoner friend was telling me of his ramblings the day before and how he went to the CYC ,where his sister was security, and he partied with a dude that was wearing leppard skin pants...but he said he was so stoned that day that he couldn't understand a word "leppard pants" was saying! He was unimpressed when I told him that was Herman Rarebell(or someone) from the German band the Scorpions!He just said,"No wonder I couldn't understand what that dude was saying!  Maaan,I was so stoned,and we kept drinking Jack and Coke! Oh WOW MAAN!!!"<br>    So,there's the whole sad story!  I had my teenage thrills though!   I started to get into "weirder" shit within months...Ha,ha,ha!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2002 10:19 am 

Led Zeppelin, Pacific Coliseum, Vancouver, BC. probably in 68 or 69. i was 15 years old, went with a buddy and two babes. it was awesome.  2nd concert was FZ. <br>

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2002 6:14 am 

My first rock concert was in my home town Trier/gemany in 1985. i was 14 then. It was an almost famous rockband from that area which did own stuff. <br>The first concert of a really famous band - at least in Germany - was BAP, also in my Hometown in 1986.<br>And the third one was already ZAPPA and the 1988 road band in Mannehim, 25/5/88. ;D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2002 6:18 am 

My first large stadium rock concert was U2 on their Zooropa tour in 1993 (?), I was fifteen years old at the time. <br><br>I'm not a huge U2 fan and I wasn't then either, but one of my best friends was, so we went to the concert together. I had to sneak out of my parents house in the middle of the night to go stand in line for the tickets. When my dad found out that I had sneaked out, I wasn't allowed to leave the house for a week. The day of the concert, my friend and I had to travel by train for two and a half hours to get to the stadium. Now, U2 really knows how to put on a great show with a lot of fireworks and special FX, although I must confess that I can't even remember what songs they played then. As for the 'cannabis question', I didn't even know what that strange smell was at the time.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 4:18 am 

my first concert was aerosmiths 2nd album,get your wings tour.I must have been like 13 years old.My brother took me for my birthday present.Great concert 8)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 9:27 am 

<br>[quote author=josh link=board=general&num=1034910585&start=15#16 date=10/19/02 at 03:12:27]<br><br><br>I you don't like them then why did you see them live three times ??? ::) Btw, The Baltimore Civic Center concert on the 'Power Windows' tour you were refering to took place on April 17, 1986! :P<br>[/quote]<br><br>Thanks for the date man.  BTW, if you read my post more closely you will notice that I was into them BEFORE disillusionment set in.  I can still thank Geddy Lee for being an early influence for my bass playing however - listening to Geddy and a handful of other classic-rock heavyweights (Squire, Jones, McCartney) made me practice real hard back then.  I still think Geddy's a good musician, but I don't like their songs anymore.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2002 10:44 am 

My first rock concert was seeing Deep Purple in 2000 or 2001 in Helsinki. It wasn´t really that great if compared to my later concert experiences (Steely Dan, Yes).<br> I´m really jealous of my Father because he had the change to see Zappa live in 1976 in Helsinki. I´d give almost anything to be able to get to a Zappa concert, but now it´s too late :'(

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2002 3:31 pm 

My first rock concert was Pink Floyd.<br>It was in 1994 (if my memory serves me correct) on their ''Division Bell'' tour in Holland.<br>I was just 11 or 12 years old and i went together with my dad and his brother and a mutual friend of my dad and his brother.<br>It was quite an experience for such a young kid as me, to see such a light show and to hear such a noise.<br>But i loved every minute of it, just like my dad,his brother,their friend and the thousands and thousands who we're also present that night.<br><br>Shine On You Crazy Diamonds, get together with Roger Waters, forget about all those things you fought over in the past and tour around the world ONE more time...<br>I will be there, i promise...............