Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2002 11:34 pm 

[quote author=MentalTossFlycoon link=board=general&num=1034910585&start=15#28 date=10/26/02 at 01:58:00]<br>The first show I ever saw was Led Zeppelin at the Oakland Coliseum in 1977. [/quote]<br><br><br>Wow!<br>That is a helluva way to start! That was historical. <br>I remember hearing about Grant.<br>My first show is on Pg. 1, but I saw my second and third shows at the Forum in L.A., and it was that very Zeppelin Tour. Mine were on June 23 & 25th, 1977. The interesting thing on the 23rd was one Keith Moon:<br>First, he sat behind John Bonham's gong and attacked it with a tambourine during "Kashmir", and the later came out and belted out a drum solo with Bonzo, after performing maniacal "dances" and tomfoolery. Robert Plant even jammed the skins! It was a wild three hours, with no opening act. <br>Great memories.<br>Moon and Bonzo were both dead within 3 years.

yore barkin' up the wrong tree.
- Festus Haggen

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2002 12:22 am 

[quote author=MentalTossFlycoon link=board=general&num=1034910585&start=30#30 date=10/26/02 at 02:55:14]<br>...Jimmy Page threw up on the stage.. and kept on playing.<br>[/quote]<br><br>That must have been one of the other 4 nights. <br>I would have remembered that!<br>I'll trade the wacky Keith Moon display <br>for the Jimmy Page Barf-a-thon, thank you very much... <br> ;D<br>(Page was quite thin and pale, but played very well)<br>

yore barkin' up the wrong tree.
- Festus Haggen

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2002 5:28 am 

DEVO at the Palladium in NYC.<br><br>It was 1982 or thereabouts. I was 12 or 13.<br><br>I too, remember a cloud.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2002 3:35 pm 

Location: Wandering aimlessly through the American wasteland...
Allman Brothers Band - Elvin Bishop - Cowboy; Winterland, San Francisco, 10/8/71.  Two weeks before Duane's death.<br><br>We were in the last row in the back balcony, My two cousins and our friend Doug.  Doug died thirteen years later on his Norton 750 Commando.  We snuck in a pint of Christain Brothers Brandy, and my cousin spent most of the Allman's set in the Men's room, puking his guts out.  I was fourteen at the time.  Elvin Bishop rocked!  We smoked alot of pot!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 4:09 am 

My first concert I ever attended was Motorhead at the tender age of 9. All I can remember is that it was vey very loud.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 5:16 am 

stricly "rock"? <br>joe satriani in milan, italy, november 1995.  8) bzzz!<br>

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 7:38 am 

Dream Theatre, March 1995 MILANO.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2002 2:06 am 

My first concert was Elvin Bishop in Chico, CA 1978 at the university's football field.  I think my second later that year was at a football field in Lodi, CA (the town made famous by the Creedence Clearwater Revival song)-The headliner was Foreigner with UFO, Nick Gilder and Greg Kihn supporting.  The only time I saw Zappa was 1980 in Sacramento.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2002 7:59 am 

[quote author=Dances link=board=general;num=1034910585;start=0#11 date=10/18/02 at 05:50:04]Frank Zappa.....Madison, Wisconsin.[/quote]<br><br>dances,  what year did you see frank in madison, wi??  <br>i grew up in madison,  saw zappa there around '79 or so.   <br>the "madison panty sniffing rap" made it onto one of the ycdtosa releases.   same show??  <br>anyway,    drop me a message or e-mail.  i'm curious to know more about you.  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2002 8:08 am 

okay, this goes way back<br><br>1972 i think,  madison wisconsin,  dane county coliseum.  <br>SHA NA NA    (stop laughing, had to start somewhere) <br><br>whitey,  not much of a weed cloud at that show,  i hadn't even smelled it yet.  but i do remember having a hell of a time.  <br><br>i was at the hop!!!<br><br>

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2002 8:53 am 

The Who, Madison Square Garden, NYC, June, 1974...Quadrophenia tour, with Keith Moon...they were not accustomed to playing encores, but after the entire arena refused to leave 15 mins. after the house lights came on, they actually returned and played The Punk Meets the Godfather and Naked Eye. <br><br>Within one calendar year of that show I also saw Jethro Tull (Warchild tour), Led Zep (Physical Graffiti), Bowie (Young Americans) and the Stones (It's Only Rock and Roll)...all at MSG except Bowie (Radio City)...

>You don't.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2002 11:54 am 

mine was thin lizzy , kings hall in belfast 1983 i think.<br>phil managed to split his rubber trousers right up the crotch.<br>drooling-savant - what an increadible first gig you had. thats great, wish it had been me. time will take  us / cowboy from greggs live double lp are great too. <br><br>mungo.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2002 8:29 pm 

[quote author=white_person link=board=general;num=1034910585;start=0#5 date=10/17/02 at 23:21:32]<br><br> Saw them in 1987 at the now-demolished JFK Stadium, and it sounded pretty damn good. [/quote]<br><br>Hey WP, back in 76 or so I saw a show at JFK with Gary (Dream Weaver) Wright, Peter (Frampton Comes Alive) Frampton and headlined by Yes...the Relayer tour, I think...it was hot as hell during the day and we couldn't find the car for a long time after the show...<br>

>You don't.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2002 9:18 pm 

[quote author=sleeping_in_a_jar link=board=general;num=1034910585;start=30#44 date=11/30/02 at 22:29:54]<br><br>Hey WP, back in 76 or so I saw a show at JFK with Gary (Dream Weaver) Wright, Peter (Frampton Comes Alive) Frampton and headlined by Yes...the Relayer tour, I think...it was hot as hell during the day and we couldn't find the car for a long time after the show...<br>[/quote]<br><br>sleeping,  i saw that same tour in chicago that year, only lynerd skynard also played.  i remember by the time yes finally played, people started leaving (yes was the reason we went).  we moved right up front,  it was a killer show.   that lineup for yes,  with patrick moraz (electric slinky)  was always my favoriite.   i think relayer was underrated..<br>  <br>i hope you enjoyed it as much as i did.  <br>btw-this was at a horse race track (arliington park i think)  <br>the facilities were awful,  but the show killed.  <br>oh, and also--gary wright,  what a joke!!!<br><br>

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2002 11:54 am 

[quote author=reednzl link=board=general;num=1034910585;start=45#45 date=11/30/02 at 23:18:27]<br><br>sleeping,  i saw that same tour in chicago that year, only lynerd skynard also played.  i remember by the time yes finally played, people started leaving (yes was the reason we went).  we moved right up front,  it was a killer show.   that lineup for yes,  with patrick moraz (electric slinky)  was always my favoriite.   i think relayer was underrated..<br>  <br>i hope you enjoyed it as much as i did.  <br>btw-this was at a horse race track (arliington park i think)  <br>the facilities were awful,  but the show killed.  <br>oh, and also--gary wright,  what a joke!!!<br><br>[/quote]<br><br>There was another band that played before Gary Wright, but it was definitely not LS...now that I've been thinking about it I think they may have been called Artful Dodger...but the only reason we went was to see Yes...It was the Moraz line-up, they opened with Sound Chaser and also did The Gates of Delerium as well as Ritual...that was the 2nd time I'd ever seen them...the first was also with Moraz at Roosevelt Stadium in Jersey City, NJ, possibly the same year or the year before...Moraz has always been my second choice for keys after RW...and you're right, many people left after Frampton but I'll never forget "The Gates" that night...<br>

>You don't.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 1:00 pm 

Mountain at the Capitol theatre in Port Chester NY in 1968?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 1:24 pm 

Well, fellow Zappologists, I'm gonna be honest...I realize that I'll be opening myself up to ridicule, but so be it.  Honesty being the best policy and all.<br><br>My first concert:   :P  Styx on the Kilroy tour, Lakeland Civic Center, FL  6/83.  <br><br>Have mercy on me!  I was 13!  What the hell did I know?<br>I went with a buddy and me mum dropped us off...got a contact high off of the FL weed, though!<br><br>I think that I redeemed myself with my next show  -- the Police, Synchronicity tour, Orlando 10/83.  4 months and all of that progress, from schlock to something better:  Mr. Sting, Andy, and Stew.<br><br>The most recent show I've seen was Rush in Manchesta, NH last month...a great show.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 5:35 pm 

[quote author=josh link=board=general;num=1034910585;start=45#50 date=12/19/02 at 19:10:59]Did you know Rush only played Closer To The Heart on this tour, at this show, this year?<br>[/quote]<br><br>Hey Josh --<br><br>Yeah, but I woulda rather heard The Trees, which they had been alternating with Between Sun and Moon...or was that Vital Signs?  I forget...<br><br>While I appreciate being the only spot on the North American jaunt that got CTTH, the song is IMHO quite played out...and they didn't even do the extended version, just a quick run through.  Feh.<br><br>Howevah, that was the ONLY low point of the evening.<br>I'd seen 'em many times before, and was still blown away.  They actually seemed to be having fun up there...imagine that!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 6:06 pm 

[quote author=josh link=board=general;num=1034910585;start=45#52 date=12/19/02 at 19:47:53]I love Vital Signs; it's my favourite off of MP apart from Tom Sawyer - so I was a little bummed that they didn't play it but just a little because it was the greatest show I have ever seen! :D<br>[/quote]<br>I guess I was lucky to see 'em play it 3/85 on one of their Spring Training FL jaunts...they also did the Fear Trilogy, which was supremely cool!<br><br>I do agree with ya that this last tour of theirs was a smoker.  Supposedly they are mastering a long-awaited live dvd for release in the Spring.  <br><br>Hmmmmm...if only another artist had a dvd coming out soon, eh?   :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next