Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 6:14 pm 

[quote author=josh link=board=general;num=1034910585;start=45#50 date=12/19/02 at 19:10:59]<br><br><br>LOL.....Styx you say. Sorry man, I just had to get that out!<br>[/quote]<br><br><br>Ya know, I am not much of a Styx fan, <br>but when I saw them front row in '78 at the Fabulous Forum with The Cars opening, <br>(on their first-ever major tour) <br>...it was actually one hell of a good show.<br>They played a very impressive rendition of 'Grand Illusion', <br>the whole show was well presented, and they were a pretty damn good group of musicians.<br><br>The Cars were very entertaining and fresh.<br>Ocasek has always been a puzzling guy to watch.<br>I even had backstage passes for this show, but the trip back there only got us lost.<br><br>BTW, IMHO 'Closer To the Heart' is utter crap.<br>Give me 'Jacob's Ladder' anyday.<br>I feel that Rush peaked from '77-'83, with Permanent Waves as my favorite.

yore barkin' up the wrong tree.
- Festus Haggen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 6:16 pm 

[quote author=white_person link=board=general;num=1034910585;start=45#53 date=12/19/02 at 19:48:48]...saw Rush again this year and they still sound swell. Any time they play "Natural Science" I'm especially happy.<br>[/quote]<br><br>Oh yeah!  I'd forgotten that they played that tune...but at the time, I planned to hit the john during NS so as to avoid the intermission crush!  Planned it just right I did...<br><br>Any more of this Rush crap, Josh and WP, and we're gonna have to take it elsewhere, I feel!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 2:28 pm 

My first concert was Chicago. I saw em in Oxford, Ohio at Millet Hall in May of 71. They were promoting their second album and it was before they went TO POP!! They played a good show and they didn't have anybody opened up for them. I was eighteen years old at that time and I luckily discovered FZ and a shitload of other good music within the next three years. I'm pushing fifty now, and my musical journey continues, from FZ to bluegrass to jazz to delta blues to Americana, as long as it aint to mainstream and gooey. Sorry, i'm getting a bit winded, I need to sit down and take a break......   ::)<br><br><br>Breezy<br><br><br> ;D

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 4:16 pm 

Ian Gillan (ex Deep Purple), Liverpool 1980/81 . Remember he collapsed on stage and concert premeturely ended - never got a f**ckin refund either !!!!<br>Bollocks!  <br> >:(

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 4:50 pm 

Wow! Some amazing concerts in the previous posts...I´m turning green with envy here.<br><br>The first rock concert i saw was by a finnish band called Peer Gunt in 1984. I know this doesn´t mean anything to you unless you´re finnish :P<br><br>The first foreign group i saw was Metallica on their master of puppets tour. One of the last gigs that Cliff Burton played before dying in that car crash in Sweden. That show blew me away. Man, it was so great! It was also the first time that i went to a ROCK FESTIVAL..<br>(that could probably be a subject for a thread in itself?).<br>

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2002 10:46 am 

I saw Kula Shaker at Glastonbury. It was the last day and me my Dad and my Sister turned up and got in for free. We only saw them but it was worth going, they were amazing.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2002 11:39 am 

I saw KISS in 1979 when I was only 8 years old ;D I'll never forget it!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2002 12:19 pm 

My first concert was Genesis at the Liverpool Empire in 1973. The support was Ron Geesin. I was 15. They played principally Selling England by the Pound along with Watcher of the Skies (the set opener) and Supper's Ready (the set closer). The Musical Box had to be aborted due to a technical problem with Mike Rutherford's 12 string.<br>Canadian tribute band The Musical Box has just completed a tour of the UK (which I missed, dagnabbit) where they recreate, with unnerving accuracy, every detail of the '73 tour. A friend of mine saw them at the Royal Albert Hall where they were joined during the encore by Steve Hacket himself.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2002 2:59 pm 

29th nov 1975 Queen at Hammersmith odeon.<br>I was 14 and my friends brother took us .

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2002 11:42 am 

Queenryche w/ Suicidal Tendencies.  1991 Green Bay WI<br>Played Operation: Mindcrime in it's entirety.  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2002 1:36 pm 

HAHAHAHAHAHAHa. Aerosmith. Sheffield (South Yorkshire) 92 I think. Ive had a special place in my heart for love in an elevator ever since 8)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2002 3:31 pm 

First concert was Emerson Lake and Palmer in 1973. I was 13, and obviously had no taste whatsoever. Strangest concert was Kraftwerk circa 1975 (when "Autobahn" hit). There were about 400 people in the hall when they started playing, and about 30 when they finished (about 50% of whom were passed out.) The looked quite dejected afteward, and I've always regreted that I never thanked them for playing. They were actually quite good.<br><br>Most charismatic (solo) performer was Todd Rundgren circa 1975 (again). He spent most of the last half walking on the retaining wall in front of the stage, shaking hands. I've not bothered to buy his recordings since the 70's, but the man knows how to play in front of a crowd.<br><br>Most irritating concert was Kiss around 1974 (I walked out). Most boring was the Grateful Dead (who cares what year?) and Yes in 1977 (I nearly fell asleep). Most frightening was Circle Jerks in 1986, though for the crowd not the band.<br><br>Best concert overall was Magma in Chicago 1999, with Jeff Beck/Mahavishnu in 1976 and Talking Heads in 1982 as very close seconds (the later was handicaped by being outside, but it managed to turn into a giant dance party none the less.)<br><br>I never saw Zappa live. :-(<br><br>- Mark

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 9:30 pm 

winter pop/maple leaf gardens, toronto 12/31/71....alice cooper (for sure) & edgar winter's white trash (i think it was the same gig)<br><br>Image<br>            edgar & johnny

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 7:32 am 

First Band I saw was the Welsh trio BUDGIE at the Cheltenham Town Hall UK  went with 3 friends all age 14-15 and it was all nice and personal spoke with Tony Bourge (guitarist) after show gave me a signed copy of the Bandolier album for free.<br>it must have been 1974-75 <br><br>

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 4:51 pm 

Grand Funk RailRoad...in Boston about 1972

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 6:15 am 

...it had to be.........Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow with Ronnie James Dio on vox, and Uriah Heep, Golden Earring opened.......@ the Capitol Theater, Passaic,N.J.<br>circa..1979 .......Good show... ;D ;D ;D ;D

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 11:31 am 

...has yet to happen.<br><br>Being a 15 year old from a place as remote as upstate NY does not help at all. And my parents are not willing to take me to another state just for a concert.<br><br>Though when I was about 3, I went to see Fred Penner(guitarist and childrens' musician) live in a town about a half-hour away from mine. I don't need to remember it to know that Fred Penner whips serious ass.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 2:48 pm 

Yes.  In Tulsa, OK 1978 on the Tormato tour.  It was such an awesome show and I thought all concerts would be that good.  They weren't.<br><br>VCF

Revel in your otherness. MK

STILL pissed at Tipper. VCF

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 5:26 pm 

[quote author=VCF link=board=general;num=1034910585;start=75#78 date=05/07/03 at 17:48:11]Yes.  In Tulsa, OK 1978 on the Tormato tour.  It was such an awesome show and I thought all concerts would be that good.  They weren't.<br><br>VCF[/quote]<br><br>I saw that tour as well!<br><br>What a show, indeed. <br>A friend and I, at the ages of 14, took a bus from the San Fenando Valley all the way to Long Beach <br>- some 40+ miles away to see YES.<br><br>It's hard to remember, but I am sure our parents were not aware of this journey; <br>as some parts of Long Beach are very bad neighborhoods.<br><br>BTW,  VCF-<br>I know have been relentless with this, but if you are that much of a YES fan, <br>I URGE you to have a look at this thread:<br><br>HERE.<br><br>I promise you, it is well worth your effort.<br>

yore barkin' up the wrong tree.
- Festus Haggen

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 4:38 pm 

JUDAS PRIEST august 9 1986 at joe louis arena in detroit i was all of 16 at the time KROKUS was the opening band.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next