Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:28 am 

Ask DGM what they think of Zappa's new label...

"UMG has been selling King Crimson material for years without rights or permission. UMG has been told of this on many occasions and has promised to cease. UMG continues to register sales of the material, reporting sales, as recently as April 2012. UMG is in the midst of a takeover of EMI. This has been referred to the European Commission as it would give UMG (already the largest record company by far), near monopoly status in many EU countries. It is also being scrutinised by the FTC in the USA.

In August, UMG offered to sell some of its catalogues and some EMI catalogues in an effort to placate the EC. Listed among those catalogues as circulated for sale was the same King Crimson material that UMG has been selling without permission..."

http://www.dgmlive.com/news.htm?entry=3926

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:43 am 

Their all bastards... :smoke:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:50 am 

Plook wrote:

Their 'what' are all bastards?

Sorry man. You bring the grammar nazi out in me... :mrgreen:

Miasma!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:51 pm 

Sam I Am wrote:
Plook wrote:

Their 'what' are all bastards?

Sorry man. You bring the grammar nazi out in me... :mrgreen:

Zzziiinnnggg... :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:54 am 

King Crimson’s Robert Fripp Quits Music Business, Saying It Has Become ‘An Exercise in Futility’
by: Dave Swanson 3 days ago

King Crimson‘s Robert Fripp has granted a rare interview with the UK Financial Times to explain why he has given up on the music business. “I couldn’t concentrate on music, so I made the choice to give up my career as a musician in the front line to deal with the business.”
Apparently, this all stems from a recent altercation with music giant the Universal Group, who recently bought up a series of independent labels that own parts of his back catalog. Fripp believes this action has led to the release of unauthorized releases under his name.

He cites other examples of his music being used without his consent, notably in the Kanye West single ‘Power,’ which freely sampled the King Crimson classic ’21st Century Schizoid Man.’ The video scored one million plays on YouTube before Fripp was reportedly consulted. Fripp has been in a tangled legal dispute with Universal for the past five years, and now refers to his life as a professional musician as “a joyless exercise in futility.”

Over the last few years, the King Crimson catalog has been getting the royal treatment with expanded and deluxe editions. In thinking on his past endeavors, Fripp said “Going back to early King Crimson, the remarkable explosion of the creative impulse came from these young men who didn’t know what they were doing, yet were able to do it.” However, the legendary guitarist and musical visionary thinks this spirit is certainly lacking in the current climate. “What has changed in 40 years? It’s very simple: 40 years ago there was a market economy. Today there is a market society – today everything, including ethics, has a price.”

It shouldn’t all be about money, says Fripp. “Do you believe that Rostropovich was playing a cello just for a living? Do you believe that Hendrix was playing for money? Music is a language in which we can express our struggle with what it is to be a human being. This is at the center of what created King Crimson. Today I remain responsible for that… how can I lie to that? If I do, I cease to be human.”

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:16 am 

I love this: “What has changed in 40 years? It’s very simple: 40 years ago there was a market economy. Today there is a market society – today everything, including ethics, has a price.”

Seems to me that the "market economy" Fripp refers to grew like a bad pyramid scheme to encompass the entire world.
It also appears that it is all coming to a crashing end.
Didn't Frank point this out in 1981? see: http://hogranch.com/cheese.html

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:55 am 

"...sacred Prime Rate Poodle..."

Frank was a visionary comedian. He nailed it his whole life.