Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:04 pm 

Just for those who don't get that my avatar is a performance piece. The following is a fairly ordinary picture taken back in November 2012.

Edit: Got my timing on this one seriously stuffed up but I found the original and it's dated 22nd November 2012.

Last edited by polydigm on Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:18 pm 

I thought there was only one person who didn't get your avatar. Did he ever get his fucking download? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:40 pm 

Plook wrote:
Batchainmovie wrote:
BBP wrote:
Batty! Great to see you again!
Damn it! I can't send you a PM and I don't know why! :evil: I really
want to send you one and include a few things not for general audiences. :wink:

--Bat

Howdy Bat good to have you back, we are letting it all hang out these days, the troops are solid and supportive like nowhere else on the interwebs and on the line... 8)
This is certainly good to know! I'm an asshole but I don't indulge in the juvenile aim to be hurtful as the general 'Net seems to invite most to be. If the intention is to shock and offend me with comments like, "your slut mother sucks dog dick" or "you'd be better of dead you fucking cunt-assed faggot" it's remarks like those that have no greater an impact on me than a 6-year-old calling me a "poo-poo head". They all fall flat and I'm as "ho-hum" about that laughable shit as I am the 6-year-old's "poo-poo head" assessment. Really weak primary school level of crap.

Cool to know you guys still have it together! :)

--Bat

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:50 pm 

just plain doug wrote:
Batty's back?!
I knew Downer M's posting of that poopy-pic would cause something like this to happen!!
Laughing My Fucking Ass Off, j. p. doug! (Oh! Where's that poopy-pic??? :mrgreen:)

--Bat

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:58 am 

Oh dear Bat, not that photo again! :wink:

You don't look too happy on that photo, Poly...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:39 am 

BBP wrote:
You don't look too happy on that photo, Poly...

If he's like me, he doesn't enjoy posing for photos. I don't mind my picture taken naturally though. My mom is the worst. "Straighten your head", "move over into the light", and shit like that. By the time she takes the picture, I always look annoyed.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:47 am 

I thought it was a good enough looking photo of me. I've always been pretty damn serious, maybe it's a shortcoming but I'm at ease with it. I was in the early stages of a pretty tough time when it was taken which wasn't properly resolved until a year later. (I got the date badly wrong, the photo is from November 2012). I started this thread in September of 2012 and I was clearly putting a brave face on my situation with what I was writing at the time.

That photo was taken with a timer and for use on the front page of my music website. I was quite preoccupied at the time and certainly not in a bad frame of mind. I was always quite photogenic when I was younger but those days are clearly gone.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:52 am 

polydigm wrote:
I thought it was a good enough looking photo of me.

I wasn't trying to say the picture looked bad. Looks better than my avatar. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:06 am 

polydigm wrote:
Plook wrote:
I like Rope a lot but he seems to make it impossible to agree on anything, he reminds me of myself and maybe I would also have been that cynical if I hadn’t had my wonderful wife.
My position is similar to yours.

Plook wrote:
I am not sure what you base your observations of Rahdley on
polydigm wrote:
...Rahdley. I don't really have a problem with you mate I just found your involvement cryptic and couldn't understand why you wouldn't spell out where you were coming from. I made some assertions that were most probably wrong out of frustration.
That's not saying much. First he said the thread reminded him of a pompous piss take by Austin Powers of a speech by a psycho megalomaniac. Hmm? Then he posted a cartoon of a couple of hillbillies with nothing better to do. Was that biographical? I didn't jump to any conclusions and asked what he meant and he didn't want to divulge. Then I got pissed off and overreacted. He still wouldn't divulge. That's it. Not that big a deal, I guess.
Plook wrote:
Poly welcome back mate!
I wish it was to better news. All the best.

Welcome back Poly. Whatever disagreement was definitely my fault for trying to be humorous on what was basically a serious thread. Certainly no hard feelings on my part. In fact, looking back I think we agree on most stuff.

I don't post much but I am here every day.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:34 am 

No worries Rahdley, thanks for your candour.

Philo, the first paragraph of my last post was in reply to Bonny and you posted your comment just as I finished writing it. Only the first sentence of the second paragraph was inspired by what you said - I don't mind having my photo taken.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:04 am 

Cool. Just didn't want my intentions misconstrued. I was really more or less generalizing on how I feel about "posing" for photos vs. a real photo taken of me in the moment.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:53 am 

I am like this.

Yes, I'm goin' to the love-in to sit & play
my bongos in the dirt.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:38 am 

Here I am, sans makeup. The nose has been broken several times, so my apologies. The droopy eyes are courtesy of some commercial shit from Tejas. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:17 am 

wakawazooinregalia' wrote:
Short bio:

I was born somewhere in Argentina. My parents divorced when I was 1 or 2 so i don't remember anything (sometimes i see my father, he lives near my house). Anyway, my mum married a guy from the USA, so i speak some english besides what we learn in school, and we understand us perfectly. We are like friends. One day, i think it was september last year, he showed me Zappa for my first time. He has only 4 albums (a double edition of Apostrophe/Overnite from RYKO, One Size Fits All and Zoot Allures. I loved it! So, since then i have been researching on frank's music and until now i have heard a good part of his carrer (still have to hear 200 Motels, only heard Strictly Genteel, and also didn't hear Tinseltown Rebellion, Man From Utopia, Guitar, Does Humour Belong In Music, LSO, and every single posthumous release). I first knew about this forum like 3 months ago, and i use it as a way to practise my english, but most importantly, because i love to see what people thinks about Frank and music in general. Even i haven't finished frank yet, i have already started with bartok, stravinsky and varese. I have been playing the guitar for 3 years, and hardest things i can play are Echidna's outro (Roxy speed) and The Uncle Meat Variations. Besides thecnic aspects, i'm also studying music theory, and i love it. My favourite instrument is marimbas, i love food, tennis and mostly music. But besides all of this rare things i like, i'm only a common 14 year old person, and at this moment i'm hoping Roy Estrada hasn't got an account in Zappa's forum so i'd better go hide! :wink:

Welcome aboard Waka, most here are decent folks and will do what they can to guide you, beware we all have a very sinister sense of humor…so don’t take us to seriously and enjoy… :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:05 am 

This is me in 1894.
I'm the one on the far right. My wife is 2nd right. You can tell from the picture that the other three are our best friends.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:31 am 

Caputh wrote:
This is me in 1894.
I'm the one on the far right. My wife is 2nd right. You can tell from the picture that the other three are our best friends.

To cool and so dapper... :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:37 am 

Plook wrote:
Short bio:

I was born somewhere in Argentina. My parents divorced when I was 1 or 2 so i don't remember anything (sometimes i see my father, he lives near my house). Anyway, my mum married a guy from the USA, so i speak some english besides what we learn in school, and we understand us perfectly. We are like friends. One day, i think it was september last year, he showed me Zappa for my first time. He has only 4 albums (a double edition of Apostrophe/Overnite from RYKO, One Size Fits All and Zoot Allures. I loved it! So, since then i have been researching on frank's music and until now i have heard a good part of his carrer (still have to hear 200 Motels, only heard Strictly Genteel, and also didn't hear Tinseltown Rebellion, Man From Utopia, Guitar, Does Humour Belong In Music, LSO, and every single posthumous release). I first knew about this forum like 3 months ago, and i use it as a way to practise my english, but most importantly, because i love to see what people thinks about Frank and music in general. Even i haven't finished frank yet, i have already started with bartok, stravinsky and varese. I have been playing the guitar for 3 years, and hardest things i can play are Echidna's outro (Roxy speed) and The Uncle Meat Variations. Besides thecnic aspects, i'm also studying music theory, and i love it. My favourite instrument is marimbas, i love food, tennis and mostly music. But besides all of this rare things i like, i'm only a common 14 year old person, and at this moment i'm hoping Roy Estrada hasn't got an account in Zappa's forum so i'd better go hide! :wink:

Welcome aboard Waka, most here are decent folks and will do what they can to guide you, beware we all have a very sinister sense of humor…so don’t take us to seriously and enjoy… :mrgreen:

Thanks Plook!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:13 pm 

Plook wrote:
Caputh wrote:
This is me in 1894.

To cool and so dapper... :wink:

That's how it was in 1894. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:09 pm 

Looking good, Caputh!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:08 pm 

Me at home.

(I want to upload a picture but it says: Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached.)

Last edited by wakawazooinregalia' on Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:38 am 

I don't think of Caputh as being far right
(again not a political bs type statement)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:41 am 

You're political disclaimers are cracking me the fuck up. Yes, I am that easily amused. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:23 am 

Gray_Ghost wrote:
I don't think of Caputh as being far right
(again not a political bs type statement)

Thank you for the kind comments everybody.
Pictorially speaking, from my POV I'm on the far left.

Since even Rondo Hatton would look good in sepia, here's a more realistic one from last year of me where I'm on the left, my nephew in the middle (looked weirdly shocked) and my sister on the right.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:48 am 

That's the way I like pictures of myself. In the moment, and unknowing. Your nephew does look a bit shocked? :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:12 am 

Me at home.

(I want to upload a picture but it says: Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached.)

This means you either have to delete a picture or two, or upload the picture to some other site (Facefool, Photobucket etc), right click it, copy the URL, paste it into your message and mark it with the "Img" button when posting a reply. It took me ages to work it out and I needed Poly's help!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next