Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:02 am 

http://www.michaelmoore.com/ <br>Letter from Michael Moore to George W. Bush on the Eve of War <br><br>A Letter from Michael Moore to George W. Bush on the Eve of War <br><br><br>George W. Bush <br>1600 Pennsylvania Ave. <br>Washington, DC <br><br><br>Dear Governor Bush: <br><br>So today is what you call "the moment of truth," the day that "France and the rest of world have to show their cards on the table." I'm glad to hear that this day has finally arrived. Because, I gotta tell ya, having survived 440 days of your lying and conniving, I wasn't sure if I could take much more. So I'm glad to hear that today is Truth Day, 'cause I got a few truths I would like to share with you: <br><br>1. There is virtually NO ONE in America (talk radio nutters and Fox News aside) who is gung-ho to go to war. Trust me on this one. Walk out of the White House and on to any street in America and try to find five people who are PASSIONATE about wanting to kill Iraqis. YOU WON'T FIND THEM! Why? 'Cause NO Iraqis have ever come here and killed any of us! No Iraqi has even threatened to do that. You see, this is how we average Americans think: If a certain so-and-so is not perceived as a threat to our lives, then, believe it or not, we don't want to kill him! Funny how that works! <br><br>2. The majority of Americans -- the ones who never elected you -- are not fooled by your weapons of mass distraction. We know what the real issues are that affect our daily lives -- and none of them begin with I or end in Q. Here's what threatens us: two and a half million jobs lost since you took office, the stock market having become a cruel joke, no one knowing if their retirement funds are going to be there, gas now costs almost two dollars -- the list goes on and on. Bombing Iraq will not make any of this go away. Only you need to go away for things to improve. <br><br>3. As Bill Maher said last week, how bad do you have to suck to lose a popularity contest with Saddam Hussein? The whole world is against you, Mr. Bush. Count your fellow Americans among them. <br><br>4. The Pope has said this war is wrong, that it is a SIN. The Pope! But even worse, the Dixie Chicks have now come out against you! How bad does it have to get before you realize that you are an army of one on this war? Of course, this is a war you personally won't have to fight. Just like when you went AWOL while the poor were shipped to Vietnam in your place. <br><br>5. Of the 535 members of Congress, only ONE (Sen. Johnson of South Dakota) has an enlisted son or daughter in the armed forces! If you really want to stand up for America, please send your twin daughters over to Kuwait right now and let them don their chemical warfare suits. And let's see every member of Congress with a child of military age also sacrifice their kids for this war effort. What's that you say? You don't THINK so? Well, hey, guess what -- we don't think so either! <br><br>6. Finally, we love France. Yes, they have pulled some royal screw-ups. Yes, some of them can be pretty damn annoying. But have you forgotten we wouldn't even have this country known as America if it weren't for the French? That it was their help in the Revolutionary War that won it for us? That our greatest thinkers and founding fathers -- Thomas Jefferson, Ben Franklin, etc. -- spent many years in Paris where they refined the concepts that lead to our Declaration of Independence and our Constitution? That it was France who gave us our Statue of Liberty, a Frenchman who built the Chevrolet, and a pair of French brothers who invented the movies? And now they are doing what only a good friend can do -- tell you the truth about yourself, straight, no b.s. Quit pissing on the French and thank them for getting it right for once. You know, you really should have traveled more (like once) before you took over. Your ignorance of the world has not only made you look stupid, it has painted you into a corner you can't get out of. <br><br>Well, cheer up -- there IS good news. If you do go through with this war, more than likely it will be over soon because I'm guessing there aren't a lot of Iraqis willing to lay down their lives to protect Saddam Hussein. After you "win" the war, you will enjoy a huge bump in the popularity polls as everyone loves a winner -- and who doesn't like to see a good buddy-whoopin' every now and then (especially when it 's some third world buddy!). So try your best to ride this victory all the way to next year's election. Of course, that's still a long ways away, so we'll all get to have a good hardy-har-har while we watch the economy sink even further down the toilet! <br><br>But, hey, who knows -- maybe you'll find Osama a few days before the election! See, start thinking like THAT! Keep hope alive! Kill Iraqis -- they got our oil!! <br><br>Yours, <br><br>Michael Moore

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:46 am 

I do not trust Bush, I think it is sad we are at war but I just dunno anymore.<br><br>I think things are in a very serious situation. The rest of the world is pretty pissed off with you Americans & Us British.<br><br>For this war in Iraq, I look at it this way:<br>I imagine if here in England we had our very own Saddam. Many people I know have been murdered by him. I do not just mean a quick death, I mean burning a husband in front of his wife and kids - you get the idea?<br>If I was in that situation I'd be praying for freedom, for a bigger stronger country to help me.<br>Regardless if Bush and his sponsors took all the oil, fuck the oil, Id happily trade that for a decent life.<br><br>On the other hand, I can see the strategic move by America to secure its future.<br><br>The bigger picture is more complicated. Is Iran next?<br>Part of me thinks no people should have to suffer anything less than democracy. I am not saying democracy is perfect but at least it's a step in the right direction.<br><br>I find it amazing that here we are in the 21st century and people are starving in their millions & suffering under corrupt governments.<br><br>I find it even more amazing that we Humans shout all this fairy tale religion shit. Bush today said, God bless America. Fuck god! It is you & me here not some make believe god.<br><br>Fucking hell guys, sometimes I just wanna exit this world, it's full of assholes.<br>

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 2:36 pm 

Ringo, stick around !<br><br>This world needs all the good-will men it can handles.<br>There's not much love to go round...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 7:45 pm 

Hey,thanks for posting the letter.<br>      WAR STILL SUCKS!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 7:35 am 

Thanks for the letter Pika.  He's got my vote.  Wait, I don't live there.  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 3:18 pm 

what does a celeb know , what does the latest media babe know , what does a fuckin reporter know when the bottom line is gettin any old story to bed before it gets to print - i sure dont know jack shit, only that sheep all behave as expected and as they think their peers will approve off, dumbness reigns all round <br><br>mungo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2003 9:29 pm 

The guy is more sucessful the way he does his things. His film threw lights of the love-hate relations between Americans and guns. And now, he'll do a film about Bush and Bin Ladin relationship. Alright ! I can't wait to see it !<br><br>The one who whines about him are mostly the ones who don't agree with him. I think the guy's a necessity. Just to prove that in America you can have an opinion and you can tell it to anyone. Otherwise, where's the freedom, liberty, and all that jazz, America is supposed to be founded upon ? If censorship wins, it'll look more like the McCarthy ghosts coming back. You know ? When USA was deep down in paranoid and was seeing communists everywhere on US soil. That may have conforted the anti-communists of the time, but it did nothing to enhance democracy and liberties. I fear that now it's beginning to look more and more like these sad ol' days.<br><br>Where there's freedom, there's a right to oppose to the government. Hey ! The guy may be right ! That's exactly what Frank did in his times.<br><br>I prefer seeing Michael Moore doing films than spending his times marching. He reaches more people. There's not many who can do it. Not to mention that we need every counterpoint to the Bush administration that we can.<br><br>I hope he'll stay alive. A right-wing weirdo might shoot him, we never know. Hey ! It's America, so many have guns to do it. Long live to Michael Moore and to all who dares say what's on their mind in these dangerous and paranoid times.