Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 8:36 am 

[quote author=whatchamacallit link=board=general;num=1053442594;start=0#0 date=05/20/03 at 07:56:33]I just read that from January 1st 2004, they will take your fingerprints and scan (and save) your documents if you want to enter the USA.[/quote]<br><br>I've heard someone saying that they  even MEASURED HER EARS when she asked for citizenship.  It was years ago, in fact, but it's true.    We had a laugh when she told me that,  but we also remembered how criminologists, in the early 20th, were supposing that physiology was a clue for psychology,  <br><br>and how german fascists, influenced by this physiological fashion in criminology, organized an exhibition to explain "How to recognize a Jew" based on nose, ears, lips shape.   <br><br>

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 8:52 am 

[quote author=Arkay link=board=general;num=1053442594;start=0#1 date=05/20/03 at 08:49:31]The Lockdown of Planet Earth. .....<br>Safer, safer, safer.  There is a weird and very uncomforatble dividing line between safest and not free.  We need to question things that are in the name of safety, but based on removing freedoms.  [/quote]<br><br><br>Radley wrote this to me today.<br><br>
Quote:
Stay out of downtown LA.
  <br><br>I will go to downtown L.A. I know it could be risky to do that whith my french accent and my blond hair, but I will.<br>That's my way to refuse been secluded by fear. I'd better get prepared than not going.   <br><br>Fear is our real ennemy.  It's an inside ennemy, the only one we have to deal with.   <br><br>I also think that agressive people are driven by their fear.   <br><br>Well, I know, it doesn't give any sollution to say that. It's just a thought ::)<br>

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 9:58 am 

[quote author=whatchamacallit link=board=general;num=1053442594;start=0#0 date=05/20/03 at 07:56:33] .... i am sure not gonna have my fingerprint in my passport. because if it's there, it will be stored elsewhere also. .....[/quote]got something to hide? <br><br>[quote author=whatchamacallit also link=board=general;num=1053442594;start=0#0 date=05/20/03 at 07:56:33] .....EVERYTHING can be faked. ...... [/quote]so fake 'em, no one's gonna know<br><br>[quote author=LumpyGravy link=board=general;num=1053442594;start=0#2 date=05/20/03 at 10:13:51].....Europeans are very prejudiced about what the USA is like, and, especially, about the people. Europeans judge Americans too much after their government. .... [/quote] i think they're judged by the stereotypical tourist that invades europe:<br><br>Image  Image<br><br>[quote author=milimalimalou link=board=general;num=1053442594;start=0#4 date=05/20/03 at 11:36:20]...they  even MEASURED HER EARS when she asked for citizenship.....<br><br>...and how german fascists, influenced by this physiological fashion in criminology, organized an exhibition to explain "How to recognize a Jew" based on nose, ears, lips shape....[/quote]<br><br>canadian passports require one ear fully exposed in the photo (i think).....<br><br>when i was travelling across the india/pakistan border, the border guards had a list of generic descriptions of different nationalities along with sample photos of a male & female from the country, it had dozens of examples<br><br><br>

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 10:15 am 

[quote author=slime.oofytv.set link=board=general;num=1053442594;start=0#6 date=05/20/03 at 12:58:26]<br>canadian passports require one ear fully exposed in the photo (i think).....[/quote]<br><br>I'm looking for canadian citizenship and the form is right now in my hand, the one in french. I won't try to translate the picture's requirment in a poor english, but besides some sizes they don't ask for an exposed ear.  <br><br>I would have tell you if so. I would have scream it out !

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 10:24 am 

[quote author=Arkay link=board=general;num=1053442594;start=0#8 date=05/20/03 at 13:05:05]<br>Hey Slime - <br>In any good poll (assuming there are good ones), the first thing that is needed is a good representative sample.  I'd have to wonder portions of the US are represented by our foreign travellers.  Add that to the fact that the ones that people remember are the squeakiest wheels.  No one remembers the nice ones.[/quote]<br><br>Every nation is stereotyped though . Not every Englishman is either a bowler hat wearing snobby prick or a cockney wideboy (as portrayed in Hollywood) . I've only been to the US once - NY - and I had a superb time . The people I met were great with us too . It's just a pity your beer's so pissy and you call football "soccer" !!  ;D<br>

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 10:46 am 

[quote author=Sebastiaan link=board=general;num=1053442594;start=0#12 date=05/20/03 at 13:38:28]<br>The Dutch:<br>Image<br>[/quote]<br><br>That does remind me of Amsterdam though !!  ;D<br>

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 12:35 pm 

When does the film version come out? Good intro. ;)

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 7:21 pm 

[quote author=MentalTossFlycoon link=board=general;num=1053442594;start=15#15 date=05/20/03 at 15:26:11]<br>....As far as terrorism goes, I think the US has been behind the curve for a long time. It's sad that it took something like 911 for us to wake up, but that's what happened. Personally, I don't mind giving up a little freedom in exchange for a little safety.....[/quote]<br><br>they have a lot of catch up to do, mostly for the masses getting used to what others have been living with for a long time, travelling in asia, security has always been much tighter than here such as:<br><br>
  • manila, 7 checks (xray/passport at front door, pp before getting in ticket line, pp at ticket line, pp at immigration, xray/pp at terminal, pp & full baggage check [tt]every fucking pocket, compartment, shoes etc.[/tt] at gate) before you get on the plane, this was in '95 thru '97...
  • indonesia, where you need minimum 6 months left on your passport, they send you back if you're 1 day short, even though you can rarely get more than a 30 day visa...
  • singapore, those folks all look like stone-cold security goons..... [tt]clik me----->[/tt]for an interesting take on singapore by our own the_mudshark[tt]<-----[/tt]
  • even sydney, where they routinely circulate dogs while you're collecting your bags...
<br><br>europe always had more stringent security even in '83 but i was always impressed by the professionality, courtesy & competence of 99% of these people, from the low-end xray grunts, to the upper customs/immigration staff, plus nobody in line complained or commented on the inconvenience, hey everyone is entitled to winj a bit, even frank...he named a song canadian customs :)<br><br>
Quote:
<br>[/url]<br><br><br><br>[quote author=MTF also link=board=general;num=1053442594;start=15#15 date=05/20/03 at 15:26:11]<br>....vacation in Denmark... [/quote]Image[right][img width=16 height=15]http://www.zappa.com/yabbFiles/YaBBImages/rolleyes.gif[/img][/right]

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 7:07 am 

[quote author=Arkay link=board=general;num=1053442594;start=0#14 date=05/20/03 at 13:49:04]<br><br>Well, I don't wanna spit in yer church, but I don't call soccer much at all.  Now, football, there's a game. [/quote]<br><br>I'm sorry but your "Football" is like Rugby for girls !! What's with all that padding and titanium headgear ?  ;)<br>