Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Regional Music
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:37 pm 

Draw a 500 mile map around your city. http://www.freemaptools.com/radius-around-point.htm Does the area represent a rich,and diverse musical contingent, or do you find that most of your favorite music comes from further away?

I have to say I'm pleased with my region which covers Detroit, Chicago, St. Louis, Colombus,Milwaukee, Minneapolis.Nashville, Toronto, Ottawa, etc.

You just don't understand, You're from Kalamazoo.

Post subject: Re: Regional Music
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:40 am 

A 500 miles radius around vienna for instance includes several entire european countries. Guess there should be found more than one rich and diverse musical contingent (only joking 8) ).

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:37 pm 

Would you say that the majority of your favorite music comes from that area? Just curious.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:31 pm 

Milton Bradley wrote:
Draw a 500 mile map around your city. http://www.freemaptools.com/radius-around-point.htm Does the area represent a rich,and diverse musical contingent, or do you find that most of your favorite music comes from further away?

I have to say I'm pleased with my region which covers Detroit, Chicago, St. Louis, Colombus,Milwaukee, Minneapolis.Nashville, Toronto, Ottawa, etc.

Hey Milton, do you know if that graffiti saying "Grand Funk" is still there, or is that just an old photo? I remember someone telling me and some friends about it, maybe in the late 1970's or early 80's. We just had to see it for ourselves and take our pictures by it. Road Trip! We drove about 2 hours each way to get there, asked a bunch of people "Do you know where that Grand Funk trestle is?". We finally found it and of course, someone forgot to bring the camera.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:42 pm 

ReetyAwrighty wrote:
Milton Bradley wrote:

Hey Milton, do you know if that graffiti saying "Grand Funk" is still there, or is that just an old photo? I remember someone telling me and some friends about it, maybe in the late 1970's or early 80's. We just had to see it for ourselves and take our pictures by it. Road Trip! We drove about 2 hours each way to get there, asked a bunch of people "Do you know where that Grand Funk trestle is?". We finally found it and of course, someone forgot to bring the camera.

Ouch for the forgotton camera.Yes, The Grand Funk graffiti is still there (I think I last saw it this past summer), it's been there for decades.
Here's another shot and the thoughts of others to whet your appetite for a photo-op atop that crumbling bit of infastructure.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/95542255@N00/2169894269/

Post subject: re: regional music
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:56 pm 

~375 miles [600 km] to the umrk

about half of this region's music [the left side of the circle] comes from mudsharks, octupuses & other richly diverse denizens of the deep

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:49 am 

Seriously, Milton, I knew I had to get away from this place already but when I put this circle on the map I became very, very sad. I'm not saying there aren't people here trying to make a difference and I really admire them, but their voices are but crickets in the night.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:02 am 

A no from me - but that's because the only 2 within 500 miles of me are Kansas City and Minneapolis. I do like Prince, though.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:45 am 

Milton Bradley wrote:
Would you say that the majority of your favorite music comes from that area? Just curious.

No, i just wanted demonstrate that your question doesn't make much sense in tiny old europe. Compared to the young and huge USA we are some very claustrophobic place. Even the city of vienna bursts out with tons of big names like Mozart, Alban Berg, FZs Hero Anton Webern, FZ alumnus Peter Wolf or Joe Zawinul who are deeply related to that town. Just to name a few. The origin of my favourite music can not be reduced to some special area on the planet. One absolute important place sureley is LA, Woodrow Wilson drive.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:41 am 

ursinator wrote:
Milton Bradley wrote:

No, i just wanted demonstrate that your question doesn't make much sense in tiny old europe. Compared to the young and huge USA we are some very claustrophobic place. Even the city of vienna bursts out with tons of big names like Mozart, Alban Berg, FZs Hero Anton Webern, FZ alumnus Peter Wolf or Joe Zawinul who are deeply related to that town. Just to name a few. The origin of my favourite music can not be reduced to some special area on the planet. One absolute important place sureley is LA, Woodrow Wilson drive.

Are you a Zappa fan too? Wow! What a coincidence!

We had a great "good music from your country" topic before. I'll dig around and see if I can find it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:08 am 

BBP wrote:

Are you a Zappa fan too? Wow! What a coincidence!

No surprise indeed. As is said, europe is a real tiny place.

Post subject: Re: re: regional music
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:18 pm 

slime.oofytv.set wrote:

about half of this region's music [the left side of the circle] comes from mudsharks, octupuses & other richly diverse denizens of the deep

And the occasional pirate radio station. Aye matey!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:59 am 

Milton Bradley wrote:
slime.oofytv.set wrote:

And the occasional pirate radio station. Aye matey!

I see you cover Eureka, CA. Are you a fan of Mr. Bungle too?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:56 pm 

I see, my situation is so dire, people are too polite or embarrassed to even comment on it. There is someone playing a didgeridoo in that circle somewhere ...

I know, I'm so politically incorrect ...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:55 am 

KANGAROOS!!!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:38 am 

polydigm wrote:
I see, my situation is so dire, people are too polite or embarrassed to even comment on it. There is someone playing a didgeridoo in that circle somewhere ...

Not living near Rolf Harris??

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:09 am 

polydigm wrote:

Well, there is, at least, a smart chicken in Melburn.
Unfortunately, I did not have the "pleasure" to see him play when I travelled there.

Err ... Why politically incorrect? Is such a thing possible on the Zappa forum?

Last edited by Maroual on Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:02 am 

Nothing but silence … 500 miles above my head … and underneath, too.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:32 pm 

Milton Bradley wrote:

I have to say I'm pleased with my region which covers Detroit,

If you have not listened closely to these 2 discs, I would hold off on any assessment of Detroit music.

Image Image

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:49 pm 

Hell yeah, I got the SRB boxed set! They played one of their first gigs about ten miles from my home.Based on your neutral wording though,you can't blame me for interpreting your comment to be either a positive or a negitive review. It has to be positive because they kick(ed) ass all over the place.

Good on ya for being a fellow SRB fan. MC5 and Stooges fan here too. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:00 pm 

polydigm wrote:

Darn Poly, I tried to find out if Radio Birdman originated from within your range but alas they hale from Sydney. *wha-wha-whaaaaa

(*muted trumpet)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:57 pm 

Milton Bradley wrote:

Hell yeah, I got the SRB boxed set! They played one of their first gigs about ten miles from my home.Based on your neutral wording though,you can't blame me for interpreting your comment to be either a positive or a negitive review. It has to be positive because they kick(ed) ass all over the place.

Good on ya for being a fellow SRB fan. MC5 and Stooges fan here too. :mrgreen:

That's awesome!

Those 2 discs I pictured actually have quite noticeably better audio quality of many of the best songs that also appear on the box set - in case you're interested. They are a more "official" release than the boxset, as well. Apparently Sonic's estate and Scott Asheton have said so. The box set is great to have, though.

I pity any band that had to follow SRB on stage.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:29 pm 

Milton Bradley wrote:
ReetyAwrighty wrote:
Milton Bradley wrote:

Ouch for the forgotton camera.Yes, The Grand Funk graffiti is still there (I think I last saw it this past summer), it's been there for decades.
Here's another shot and the thoughts of others to whet your appetite for a photo-op atop that crumbling bit of infastructure.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/95542255@N00/2169894269/

Wow, that's really cool that it's still there. Grand Funk never got the respect they deserved, they were one of the most ass-kicking bands that ever walked the earth. Remember how all the 'rock critics' (there's an oxymoron for ya) hated them? Never had a good word for anything GFR did. :P The poor bastards were too tone deaf to appreciate stuff like "Inside Looking Out", "Closer To Home", "Into The Sun", etc... Oh well, that was their loss.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:02 pm 

slime.oofytv.set wrote:

I think this topic would be a little more interesting if it was shrunk down to maybe a 50 or 100 mile radius. If you draw a line from Sacramento to Redding on this map you'll find me about a third of the way up in Chico which is a college town and has a little bit of a music scene as most college towns do. The Mother Hips originated here and Scott Thunes is currently their bass player. They're based in the Bay Area now but return to Chico quite a bit. Also of note is a new Zappa tribute band called For the Love of Frank that debuted in September at a local club with Ike Willis. They've already announced a 2nd show with Ike, Robert Martin, and possibly a 3rd alumni (Ray I'm guessing) in January.

Post subject: re: regional music
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:37 am 

reetyawrighty wrote:
... Grand Funk never got the respect they deserved ...
good band, great show