Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 8:27 am 

I have a couple of bootlegs on vinyl that I bought at a local underground record store over 20 years ago (Toxic Shock parts 1 & 3).<br>I made MP3's of two of the songs and was wondering if it would be alright to link to them.<br>

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 1:12 pm 

don't<br>not here at least<br><br>ask these guys...  http://www.zappateers.com

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 3:09 pm 

You could always post them to alt.binaries.mp3.zappa

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 9:00 pm 

[quote author=MentalTossFlycoon link=board=general;num=1053455255;start=0#4 date=05/20/03 at 19:21:30]<br><br><br><br>I never figured out the marketing angle of "Beat the Boots." It seems pretty retarded to me to think that you can beat crap with slightly-improved crap; especially when you have four vaults full of multi-track concert tapes....[/quote]<br><br><br><br>TOUCHE !!!!<br>

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 12:54 am 

[quote author=MentalTossFlycoon link=board=general;num=1053455255;start=0#4 date=05/20/03 at 19:21:30]<br>especially when you have four vaults full of multi-track concert tapes....[/quote]<br><br>OPEN THE VAULTS!  Then everyone wins!  I mean really, I would be happy with just one vault.  jesus!<br>

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 3:32 am 

Well, I guess I probably shouldn't post them then.<br>I wasn't trying to benefit from it in any way, I just thought that everyone could benefit from hearing these great solos (particularly "Watermelon In Easter Hay" and "What's New In Baltimore?" from the 11-17-81 Ritz show).  The sound quality is not that great, I'm sure that people would still buy the official release if/when it ever is released by the ZFT.<br>Anyway, I won't post them unless I get the OK from someone in charge.  And if the ZFT is listening, please do release this show (or at least these solos), as they are very good IMO.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 6:07 am 

[quote author=zombywoof5050 link=board=general;num=1053455255;start=0#7 date=05/21/03 at 06:32:51]Well, I guess I probably shouldn't post them then.<br>I wasn't trying to benefit from it in any way, I just thought that everyone could benefit from hearing these great solos...[/quote]<br>you're right of course<br>this music should be in our ears not trapped in a vault somewhere<br>nevertheless it is inappropriate to use the official website to distribute unofficial material<br>simple as that<br><br>many of us here at this forum have passionately lobbied the ZFT for new material unsuccessfully for years<br>the ZFT's implied stance on not-for-profit trading has been quiet acceptance<br>the ZFT has also been strangely tolerant of the less-than-inconspicuous bootleg market<br>it has been our priviledge to quietly indulge ourselves without ZFT interference<br>ssshhhhhh...<br><br>thanks for the nice gesture though<br>there will be no dopplegangerzombywoof5050

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 11:49 am 

The live from Oz was certainly a good start. I have a good amount of various bootlegs, some good quality. After hearing whole show official releases such as the Live from Oz, YCDTOSA #2, I as most others wished he had released more complete shows, flubs and all. It however is certainly worth the effort to obtain alternative recordings to get a complete picture of the various bands.<br>

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 3:37 am 

[quote author=Arkay link=board=general;num=1053455255;start=0#10 date=05/21/03 at 15:02:43]<br>Sometimes, I think that since the ZFT knows that the hardcore fans will get boots, they don't feel the need to double the efforts. [/quote]<br><br>I hope you're not correct in this thinking.<br>Bootleg available or not, this instrumental version of "What's New In Baltimore" (from 11-17-1981) absolutely NEEDS to be released officially with good quality, simply because it is one of Franks greatest solos EVER.  Seriously, if the ZFT will have a good listen, I'm sure they will agree.  And while they're at it, they might as well keep "Moggio" attached to it because it too is very good on this one.  Beside's, "WNIB" is not quite complete without "Moggio" after it IMO (don't you agree?).<br>

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 8:18 am 

That whole show would be a good candidate for a future ZFT release... Frank taped it for broadcast... very popular concert... good performances... etc...<br><br><br>But it's also probably the most widely circulated show in very good FM quality. The ZFT needs to release a few things that are going to bring the reluctant-to-purchase-anything fans out of the woodwork IMHO.<br><br>Roxy DVD anyone?

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 9:00 am 

speaking of Roxy,  what happened to that "vote" they held last year on zappa.com.  O.K.  it has been a year, where is dem visual treats we are all drooling for?  Any word? any one......All I keep hearing is next year, next year,  this has been going on for quite some time now.