Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Zappa meets Ted Nugent
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 9:35 am 

Okay historians...<br><br>I might as well jump out the gate on a note of controversy ~ as I am sure there are some Nugent haters and possibly likers here.<br><br>I, myself saw him live again recently and I must say it was an incredibly awesome show and that he still plays his butt off on those old Gibson Byrdlands.<br><br>Anyhoo ~ <br>Whether you eat meat or approve of those who kill their meat and then eat it, that is not the purpose of my post.<br><br>Mr. Nugent is 54 now and I recently asked him about Frank on his message board.<br><br>Ted replied, "I drove FZ & TMOI in the Amboy Duke Show Ford Econoline in '67 all around MI on tour. <br>Frank was a goodman & genius & damn good guitarboy."<br><br>My question is:<br>Did Frank ever mention this encounter and/or does anyone have any details?<br><br>It woulda' been a hoot to hear Frank and Ted converse as they are/were both a wee bit opinionated.<br><br>Thankya

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 10:08 am 

[quote author=Lets_Be_Fraynk link=board=general;num=1053545756;start=0#0 date=05/21/03 at 12:35:55]Okay historians...<br><br>I might as well jump out the gate on a note of controversy ~ as I am sure there are some Nugent haters and possibly likers here.<br>I, myself saw him live again recently and I must say it was an incredibly awesome show and that he still plays his butt off on those old Gibson Byrdlands.<br>Anyhoo ~ <br>Whether you eat meat or approve of those who kill their meat and then eat it, that is not the purpose of my post.<br>Mr. Nugent is 54 now and I recently asked him about Frank on his message board.<br>Ted replied, "I drove FZ & TMOI in the Amboy Duke Show Ford Econoline in '67 all around MI on tour. <br>Frank was a goodman & genius & damn good guitarboy."<br>My question is:<br>Did Frank ever mention this encounter and/or does anyone have any details?<br>It woulda' been a hoot to hear Frank and Ted converse as they are/were both a wee bit opinionated.<br><br>Thankya[/quote]<br><br>Very Cool!! I am going to see TN tonite here in Philly!!<br>He has a 3 piece band now. Is his band still good without Derek St. Holmes? He sang a good chunk of the songs.<br>I shall see.<br><br>I have heard this story before in a Frank interview I have. Can't remember which one it is. It would have been great to have these 2 guys in a room talking shit!<br>LOL

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 10:17 am 

I'm tellin ya - this concert's gonna rock.<br>Is Ted headlining or opening for ZZ top?<br>He did a solo show in Tulsa and I was up front.<br>He put 8 picks in my widdle hand. (ooooh!)<br><br>The bassist he has now (Billie Sparks?) played for Yngvie Malmstein (sp?) and he really cooks but does not sing as well as Marco Mendosa did.<br>Ted sings most of his stuff now.<br>The drummer - Tommy Clufetos is an incredible kid.<br>Easily as good as the Tommy Aldridge or Carmine Appice of old.<br><br>I was awestruck by the Full Bluntal Nugity.<br>ENJOY!<br><br>Now someone answer my question, please!

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 10:19 am 

[quote author=jaypfunk link=board=general;num=1053545756;start=0#1 date=05/21/03 at 13:08:50]<br><br>It would have been great to have these 2 guys in a room talking shit!<br>LOL[/quote]<br><br>They were both anti-drug anyway.<br>

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 3:44 am 

Shirly someone has the skinny on this moment in time?!<br><br>Don't be stingey with your love!

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 3:53 am 

No, I didn't mean that.<br>Frank was just being Frank.<br><br>Details! ~ you encyclopedia Brizappacas!

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 8:01 am 

Another thing... Ted's last 2 Amboy Dukes albums in 1973 and 1974 were on Frank's Discreet label so he must have had some interaction with TN back then.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 8:02 am 

I went to see Ted Nugent and ZZ Top (more on this crap later) the other nite here in Philly and all I gotta say is HOLY FUKK!! His drummer Tommy Clufetos was absolutely amazing. Check him out at www.tommyclufetos.com <br>Anyone else see Ted on this tour yet? This drummer is one of the most energetic players I have ever seen. Ted's shows are always hi-energy and this guy kicked the crap out of everyone for an hour!! He reminded me very much of a young Terry Bozzio in the Zappa video Baby Snakes. I not comparing the 2 technicly but the way he attacked the kit was very similar to Terry back then. Man I love this guy!!! He was an inspiration. I had 1st row seats so it was great to be that close to this guy. Ted played all his killer stuff and it was a great show. No one can follow Ted and ZZ Top is crazy for doing so!<br>Now the snooze fest!! ZZ Top was as boring as you could get. Frank Beard was aweful!! The drums sounded so fake with all the triggers etc... I love the 1st 6 ZZ Top albums and always liked his style but he is just aweful now. He looked like he was going fall over and die!! When they played the older stuff it didn't sound right with the electronic drums sounds. No feeling at all. Plus he was hitting so soft that half the triggers were not even going off! It was kinda embarassing but people didn't give a crap as long as they played the lame MTV shit from the 80's everybody was happy. Frank Beard (the only one without a beard) should grow one and friggin' retire!!

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 8:21 am 

WHAT DID I TELL YA?!!<br><br>Man, Ted still rocks.<br>As I said, I saw the 2hr 20 min headline show in a tiny club in Tulsa and he was only 6 to 8 ft away.<br>INTENSITY!<br>My whole tribe was truly astounded.<br><br>And yes, Tommy C. is most awesome but what about Barry Sparks ~ the bass player?<br>If they didn't have time for solos then you know not of which I speak.<br><br>ZZ Top following Nugent is as much fun as getting laid and then finding you got the clap. <br><br>Ted WAS on FZ's label?<br>MORE DETAILS PEOPLE! YA' GOTTA KNOW SOMETHUN!

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 5:37 pm 

I'm going to the show in a couple of weeks in Northern California. You got me all excited about seeing Ted.  I've seen him just once before in the mid 80's (Penetrator Tour) when I really went to see Michael Schenker. Kenny Wayne Shepherd is also on the bill.  I wasn't expecting much when I saw him on a G3 Tour 5 or 6 years ago but I was very impressed with his performance-heavy Stevie Ray influence but what the hey.  I've seen ZZ Top twice, both in the 90's.  First time The Antenna tour-good, Second time Rhythmeen Tour, somewhat dissapointed.  Anyway, Frank Beard isn't really the point in ZZ Top.  They had a roadie filling in for him when he was sick last year.  Looking forward to it.  Yoo Hoo.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 9:31 am 

Well, I went to the show last night.  Yes, Ted and his band played very well.  Mostly his classics with only a couple new songs.  But his right-wing rhetoric was annoying as hell (at least to me, although most in the crowd seemed to approve).  He bashed the Dixie Chicks and boosted Dubya and basically his set came off as a Republican rally.  It reminded me of a Santana concert I saw in '95 when I was equally annoyed with Carlos' left-wing agenda.  Shut up and play your guitars guys, it's what you do best.<br><br>ZZ Top was fantastic.  Their set was dominated by pre-MTV material with some choice latter day material thrown in, Billy Gibbons was red hot, the drums sounded fine and no politics.  Maybe the people that were complaining about ZZ Top and Frank Beard's performance at those earlier shows were unfortunate to see them early in the tour before they started to gel-just speculating.