Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: The Role of Music?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2003 8:29 pm 

I would recomend a bookcalled "Music the Brain and Ecstasy" it has some interesting points about the way we percieve music and the various ways in which we have evolved to hear music. Basically we are pattern seeking creatures and we look for and enjoy patterns in organized sounds.We also have evolved a very elaborate hearing mechanisum, which we now use for things beyond it's original intent. This is far to short an answer so just get the book and check it out.<br><br>Saraband

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2003 9:30 pm 

To me music is entertainment, a social tool (as in let's all get around the campfire and sing some songs), a means of communicating ideas (especially music with lyrics), a form of abstract intellectual stimulation, a hobby (both as appreciation and performance), a form of historical and anthropological tagging (as in this music was created in such and such place at such and such a time under these social conditions) and a lifestyle.  Music truly is THE BEST.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 3:44 pm 

Perhaps most importantly for me, music is something to LISTEN to...<br><br>"We exercise it, so to speak, for ourselves alone; there is nothing to be gained from it in a material sense.  Listening is it's own reward; there are no prizes to be won, no contests of creative listening.  But I hold that person fortunate who has the gift, for there are few pleasures in art greater than the secure sense that one can recognize beauty when one comes upon it".<br>                          -Aaron Copland, on listening to music<br><br>More later.

>You don't.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 4:21 pm 

Music can provide us with CREATIVE (composing, playing, improvising) and PHYSICAL (singing, dancing, clapping, tapping, slamming, head-banging) outlets for expressing and receiving pleasure and pain.<br><br>Music can MOTIVATE us to perform better both physically(listening while exercising) and mentally.<br><br>Music can act as a drug.<br><br>Music can act as a language.<br><br>Music can ENHANCE and AUGMENT an already existing condition ( a movie soundtrack, for example)

>You don't.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 4:37 pm 

"Music is the most profound spiritual power on Earth.  It's a sanctuary, a healing force."<br>                       -John McLaughlin<br><br><br>Music can INSPIRE us.<br><br>"Music can inspire love, religious ecstasy, cathartic release, social bonding and a glimpse of another dimension.  A sense that there is another time, another space, and another, better, universe.  It can heal a broken heart, offer a shoulder to cry on and a friend when no one else understands.  There are times when you want to be transported, to get your mind around some stuff it never encountered before."<br>                       -David Byrne<br>              

>You don't.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 5:51 pm 

What a great question! I've been surrounded by music all my life (even prenatally) and I never even thought to ask this. Both my parents were/are musicians and I've been on stage since I was 9 but still this thought never occured to me. It's just been a constant in my life. <br>Anything I'd say would just be repeating what the people above have said. I'd be LOST without it. I can't even go to the toilet without the radio on! Please, keep that to yourselves. Mostly, to me, it's somewhat like a drug. Gives me an out of body experience and helps me be creative. Actually, when they announced that the Taliban didn't allow music my jaw dropped.  I know these people hardly have food or shelter but  the thought of no music stunned me. I couldn't image NOT having it around. It's playing now while I type this.<br>Thanks for the really great post, Mr. B.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 7:57 pm 

I'm always amazed when I get in someones car and there's no music playing. Makes me rethink my friendship with that person (!). :-/<br>Whether they like it or not I reach over and turn the stereo on 'else I'm WALKIN'!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 4:54 am 

[quote author=Ronnys_Noomies link=board=general;num=1041833154;start=0#12 date=01/06/03 at 20:19:55]<br>So, um, was fog good?<br>[/quote]<br><br>I'll bet it was FOGGIN good!<br><br>

>You don't.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 5:45 am 

But music, don't you know, is a dream from which the veils have been lifted.  It's not even the expression of a feeling, it's the feeling itself.<br>                                 -Claude Debussy

>You don't.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 5:13 am 

music? the audible decoration of time...<br><br>as for its role... I suppose it depends what it was constructed for - there are plenny of reasons from the desire to make money, receive blowjobs, a way of dealing with the fact your dad made you poop on a newspaper (Brian Wilson), or even maybe just because you like writing stuff 'to hear what it sounds like'<br><br>one of the most astute things Frank said was along the lines of "people using music, clothes etc as symbols to reinforce their ideas of who they think they are".. which strikes me as a very accurate description of the way many people consume music

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 6:02 am 

"Music is supposed to be in the world for celebtration, ritual and healing." Trey Anastasia<br><br>Frank, I feel, was very serious about the concept of the BIG NOTE. Music could be thought of as Frank's religion. From this viewpoint Frank was very religious. <br>We are all inside this grand piano and the vibration of the Big Note and its harmonics are the basis for reality in both a physical and mental manner. The military knows the effects of using frequency against lifeforms. It can alter emotional states, disrupt the digestive process and immune system. It can cause DNA to fold strangely. It has the ability to control brainwave functions. The meditative "om" is an example used for many centuries to soothe the savage beast.<br>That is why I love music. It really can be religious experience and probably the only glimmer of proof for me that there is something out there that might collectively be called God, though the BIG Note is my preferred terminology (so that I don't fall into the trap of promoting an exclusive club where you are going to hebbin if and only if you believe this particular mythology.) We know so very little about reality and have an extremely limited ability to percieve the world around us. ( we are not able to percieve 99.9% of the frequencies that bombard us all of the time ) Even with such diminished ability to hear, we still are able to extract a great amount of information from the narrow bandwidths that we can percieve. Thank The Big Note.<br><br>"... it makes the pig's smoke stand still...."<br><br>

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 8:41 am 

I attended a Roman Catholic funeral mass on Monday and the priest, in his eulogy, made an analogy wherein he likened trying to describe "heaven" to those who haven't seen it (ie, we the living) with trying to describe "color" to someone who was blind from birth.<br><br>I immediately thought of this thread and drew my own analogy of trying to describe music to someone who was deaf from birth!  <br><br>Then in a burst of inspiration I stood and shouted out, "YOU FOOLS, CAN'T YOU SEE THAT MUSIC IS THE ONLY RELIGION THAT DELIVERS!?!?!"<br><br><br><br>        <br>no i didn't<br><br>

>You don't.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 9:36 am 

bear in mind i havent been to the toilet all day -  <br><br>the key word in the question was puropse ( last sentence , first post ) . the only things with a purpose are those man has invented. the very word purpose implies  - um - deliberatly brought about / with intent . people may create music but nobody ever invented it in the way that logie baird invented the television . music is an intergral part of what it is to be a human, nobody knows for sure but i suspect its been an element in human lives for hundreds of thousands of years and as an intrinsic part of what it is to be human it can have no purpose. does a rock, a bird , the sea have purpose - they all perform functions and have uses but not purposes. thats not to say music cant perform a function or be put to purposefull use , but not  to assume that music per say has a purpose. brb.<br><br>mungo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 12:16 pm 

What's about music ? Humm... Its role...<br><br>PERFORMANCE <br> (like: Look at that guy ! He played 36 notes in 1/8 of a second. Just don't ask me what he played. My ears are not fast enough to catch all that)<br><br>NOSTALGIA<br> (like: Hey, there's that Led Zep thing I used to smoke pot on when I was 17)<br><br>EMOTION<br> (like: Those violons really did it this time. Hand me a Kleenex)<br><br>INTELLECT<br> (like: That Eolian mode played against that sharpened 9 chord, conjured with that 7/8 tempo made me wet my pants, man)<br><br>SPIRIT<br> (like: These sitars are gonna make me see the Universe and I'll take tea with God. Or: Now, I understand the beauty of Nature and all it implies)<br><br>DANCING<br> (like: well, you know...shake your booty and all that stuff)<br><br>MOOD<br> (like: It breaks the silence nicely and it sets or go with the mood I'm in)<br><br>COMPANIONSHIP<br> (like: somehow, you don't feel all alone when music is playing. And you may feel you know the guy who's doing it)<br><br>One time or another, we all feel a bit of those. Works for me anytime (except for dancing)        8) <br>

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 1:47 pm 

[quote author=Mij link=board=general;num=1041833154;start=15#23 date=01/22/03 at 14:16:41]<br>DANCING<br> (like: well, you know...shake your booty and all that stuff)<br><br> [/quote]<br><br>Excuse me, but don't you mean Sheik Yerbouti?<br>

>You don't.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 2:58 pm 

[quote author=sleeping_in_a_jar link=board=general;num=1041833154;start=15#24 date=01/22/03 at 15:47:23]<br>Excuse me, but don't you mean Sheik Yerbouti?<br>[/quote]<br><br>I was being humorous. But there was a single in the Disco-era(1976) called 'Shake your booty'. I should know. I was working night shift in an Hotel at that time and it played at least 5 or 6 times per hour (no kidding). I think it was by KC and the Sunshine Band.<br>I always thought Frank was mocking them with his album's title.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 3:07 pm 

[quote author=Mij link=board=general;num=1041833154;start=15#25 date=01/22/03 at 16:58:57]<br><br>I was being humorous. But there was a single in the Disco-era(1976) called 'Shake your booty'. I should know. I was working night shift in an Hotel at that time and it played at least 5 or 6 times per hour (no kidding). I think it was by KC and the Sunshine Band.<br>I always thought Frank was mocking them with his album's title.[/quote]<br><br>Sorry Mij, that was just my attempt to interject some Zappa humor into the situation... I knew what you meant...I'm familiar with the song, and I agree that Frank was mocking them with the album title...weren't you lucky to get to hear it so often! <br>

>You don't.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 6:58 pm 

[quote author=sleeping_in_a_jar link=board=general;num=1041833154;start=15#26 date=01/22/03 at 17:07:19]<br>I'm familiar with the song, and I agree that Frank was mocking them with the album title...weren't you lucky to get to hear it so often! <br>[/quote]<br>You must be joking ! That tune, and the other one 'That's the way I like it' drove me crazy and are at the beginning of my never-ending hate for Disco music.  8)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 4:04 am 

[quote author=Mij link=board=general;num=1041833154;start=15#27 date=01/22/03 at 20:58:15]<br>You must be joking ! That tune, and the other one 'That's the way I like it' drove me crazy and are at the beginning of my never-ending hate for Disco music.  8)[/quote]<br><br>Yeah, I'm just joking Mij...but in all seriousness I think you have a good candidate here for the 'Worst Song Lyrics' thread:<br><br>Thats the way<br>uh huh uh huh<br>I like it<br>uh huh uh huh<br>Thats the way<br>uh huh uh huh<br>I like it<br>uh huh uh huh<br>

>You don't.