Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 5:35 pm 

Actually, no. <br>It was an Epiphone SG without a whammy bar. <br><br>Yesterday i went in to pick up my guitar (Washburn WI64) from this shop. The guy says  "Sorry, its not going to be in for another month. But we just got in 5 Epiphone vintage SG's. Would you like one of them instead for an extra $150?" (the wshburn cost $600, the Epiphone SG $1000, but he gave it to me for $750 aust. dollars  ;D). Couldnt be happier. <br>And heres a picture of my first son, Epi. Everyone say hi!<br>Image<br>Anywho, being my first electric, and totaly new to the electric guitar playing scene, i was wondering if it is possible to get one of those holes or whatever they are for a whammy bar put in?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 6:09 pm 

[quote author=Arkay link=board=general;num=1072150537;start=0#1 date=12/22/03 at 19:47:15]<br><br>Sure, you could put a whammy on it, but I wouldn't recommend it.  SG's are noted for having one of the straightest necks in the business.  IMO, that means consistency of tone and tuning.  Whammy laughs at tone and tuning.  Others may say otherwise... <br>[/quote]<br>Maybe i should just by a Strat, or a Mustang, one of the cheaper ones, so i can fuck around with it and get to know more about electrics. Thanks RK.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 6:13 pm 

If you did go the whammy route, you wouldn't be able to put a Strat-style bridge on the guitar. You'd have to get a Bigsby or something similar. Depending on where you got it and what kind you got, they'd run you about $200-300 (US), not including labor costs. If it was my axe, I'd leave it like it is. Frank did just fine with his, don't ya think? ;D

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 6:14 pm 

[quote author=ImSoCute link=board=general;num=1072150537;start=0#2 date=12/22/03 at 20:09:43]<br>Maybe i should just by a Strat, or a Mustang, one of the cheaper ones, so i can fuck around with it and get to know more about electrics. Thanks RK.[/quote]<br><br>Don't get one just because it "looks cool". Play it for a while. If you feel really comfortable with it, get it. (There's a Zappa quote that says something similar, but I can't think of it right now.)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 6:15 pm 

[quote author=Billy link=board=general;num=1072150537;start=0#3 date=12/22/03 at 20:13:07]If you did go the whammy route, you wouldn't be able to put a Strat-style bridge on the guitar. You'd have to get a Bigsby or something similar. Depending on where you got it and what kind you got, they'd run you about $200-300 (US), not including labor costs. If it was my axe, I'd leave it like it is. Frank did just fine with his, don't ya think? ;D[/quote]<br>He sure did!  ;D

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 6:34 pm 

[quote author=Billy link=board=general;num=1072150537;start=0#4 date=12/22/03 at 20:14:30]<br><br>Don't get one just because it "looks cool". [/quote]<br><br>A very good advice ! In fact, he should play it his eyes closed for a while just to "taste" the sound.<br>

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 8:14 pm 

Not getting one coz it looks 'cool'. In fact, i think it dosent, it makes the guitar look awfulk, IMO. I just want to know how to well... But i heard it raises your strings, is that correct?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 11:01 am 

It may be too late, but DON'T DO IT!  <br><br>I have a 1968 Gibson SG with a tobacco sunburst finish.  When I first heard Steve Vai, I HAD to have a whammy bar.  I put a Bigsby on my SG and it was a pain in the ass to put strings on and to keep in tune.  It don't recall that it raised the action tho.  <br><br>I had it removed and it's all good now . . . except for those HOLES in my beautiful finish.<br><br>VCF

Revel in your otherness. MK

STILL pissed at Tipper. VCF

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:42 pm 

[quote author=VCF link=board=general;num=1072150537;start=0#8 date=09/22/04 at 14:01:40]It may be too late, but DON'T DO IT!  <br><br>I have a 1968 Gibson SG with a tobacco sunburst finish.  When I first heard Steve Vai, I HAD to have a whammy bar.  I put a Bigsby on my SG and it was a pain in the ass to put strings on and to keep in tune.  It don't recall that it raised the action tho.  <br><br>I had it removed and it's all good now . . . except for those HOLES in my beautiful finish.<br><br>VCF[/quote]<br>Dont worry, VCF, I wimped out. LOL.  ;)<br><br>Nar, Im gonna go with your advice Ronny. Well, actually, no Im not! ARRR!!! But seriously, that what I thought, might as well get one designed to have them. I think my next guitar is going to be a Strat. Designed enough or what? But it will take me ages to pay it off.  :'(<br>

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:49 pm 

Oh yeah, i wanna replace my pick ups too. What should I get? I really like the sound of single coil pick ups, they give a nice "thinner/edgy" sort of sound IMO. Humbuckers are more warm sounding, also in my opinion.  ;) Any suggestions welcome.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 6:35 am 

I'm glad you didn't do it.  Whenever I see those holes in mine I have the same reaction as Tommy Mars did to the voodoo butter underpants.<br><br>I eventually got a strat; definitely designed with a whammy bar for dive-bombing fun!<br><br>I've never tried single coils in my SG so I don't have any pickup recomms.<br><br>VCF

Revel in your otherness. MK

STILL pissed at Tipper. VCF

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 9:46 am 

[quote author=Ronnys Noomies link=board=general;num=1072150537;start=0#10 date=09/22/04 at 15:50:53]Steve Vai goes through them like crap out of a goose.[/quote]<br><br>Didn't Steve accidentally pull the whole tremolo block out of one of his guitars before a concert? (This was apparently back in the day when he was still playing his custom-made guitar, before Ibanez started making his signature series.)<br>

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:17 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:01 pm 

I've got a Squire Strat. My apologies, but it was a lot cheaper than buying a Fender Strat at the time. I eventually unscrewed the whammy bar handle and screwed the bridge down hard because I got sick of the tuning problems. Then, I chucked out the original pickups and got Fender ones and it sounds and plays surprisingly well. The idiot who installed the pickups for me freed the whammy bridge and adjusted the frets and neck to suit. Good intentions, but now I have to get some work done again to match having the bridge screwed down to avoid the unplanned warbling in the tone when you lean on the bridge during playing.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:16 am 

Screw it down?why not just release some tension by adjustment from back plate and rest the bridge too duplicate hardtail,or even block it by jamming something in there that way you can set the guitar up with a bit of range.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:35 am 

cleon wrote:
… block it by jamming something in there …

Rockinger Black Box: http://www.rockinger.com/index.php?cat=WG261&lang=ENG&product=16060

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:13 am 

That's only going to do what spring tension does,just block and jam it.

Guthrie govan sig guitar is amazing for lock and unlock tremolo.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:53 am 

Food for thought from both of you, thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:05 am 

polydigm wrote:
I've got a Squire Strat. My apologies, but it was a lot cheaper than buying a Fender Strat at the time. I eventually unscrewed the whammy bar handle and screwed the bridge down hard because I got sick of the tuning problems. Then, I chucked out the original pickups and got Fender ones and it sounds and plays surprisingly well. The idiot who installed the pickups for me freed the whammy bridge and adjusted the frets and neck to suit. Good intentions, but now I have to get some work done again to match having the bridge screwed down to avoid the unplanned warbling in the tone when you lean on the bridge during playing.

My son has a Squire Strat, and it is an impressive guitar for the money. My own "Vintage" 2007 Fender American Strat had some tuning problems (probably due to the Whammy system), but since I went up to .10 string and tightened the whammy system, it is just great. And I can still use the Whammy (but doesn't do it so much).

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:35 pm 

HJ wrote:
polydigm wrote:

My son has a Squire Strat, and it is an impressive guitar for the money. My own "Vintage" 2007 Fender American Strat had some tuning problems (probably due to the Whammy system), but since I went up to .10 string and tightened the whammy system, it is just great. And I can still use the Whammy (but doesn't do it so much).
10's are rap though for doing double bends,i suppose it is luck which Gauge suit what i see it is a waste of time taking it too the shop they just chuck 10's on Gibson 9's on Strat they did say use hybrid ['10's fat top 3 strings~9's skinny bottom 3]
on Gibson works not on mine 10s all day,i notice Gibson SG need New stings before Strats Fuck my old Strat was fine with 9's 10's aswell :cry:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:14 pm 

hj wrote:
polydigm wrote:
I've got a Squire Strat. My apologies...
My son has a Squire Strat, and ...
is that a real strat or is that a sears strat ¿

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:06 am 

slime.oofytv.set wrote:
hj wrote:
polydigm wrote:
I've got a Squire Strat. My apologies...
My son has a Squire Strat, and ...
is that a real strat or is that a sears strat ¿

Real in the sense that it is "made by Squire by Fender." Just Fender's "cheap" version to get the budget market for themselves. And as said, high quality for your money.