Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:05 am 

Okay, whatever your opinion, let's have a thread for Pink Floyd's final album.

I bought it today. It's alright. Which I guess is damning it with faint praise. This would make good dinner party music. It's been a long time since these guys did anything really new, but I don't begrudge buying it. There I go with the damning again.

Note: I edited the title for the sake of accuracy. I'm not sure if "The" adds to the title, but it is what it is.

Last edited by polydigm on Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:49 am 

lapsed maps wrote:
I just saw a thing on this.
Apparently (and from the horse's mouth), the piece with vocals is the only new material.
The rest is just D.B. leftovers. Oh, and this is the band's "last" record.

I know... :roll: old news.

Anyhoo, great timing, poly d. My girlfriend and I just had a long conversation about these guys.
We have agreed that it is time that we start from the beginning with this band and take it all in.
Chronologically. We both know the "popular" stuff and I have always been interested in Syd.
Especially considering he introduced me to 2 outstanding and possibly overlooked bluesmen.

The 2 popular ones were 2 of my first records as a child, and they scared the HOTFUCK out of me.
I liked that then, and I like that now. That creepy lingering element of W T F!?

I know the above is not so much about the new record... sorry. Feel free to contact my attorney.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:32 am 

I'm aware that it's old news, I just thought I'd start a thread that didn't have any judgement in the title.

I bought the deluxe digital version btw, 256 kbps. I'm not bothered about the blue ray or the vinyl.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:41 am 

I was referring to my quote being old news
as I am sure a majority of the folks here (into PF) are hip to it.

I am interested in hearing opinions on the new one as well.

Fun Fact: I keep stopping myself from talking about the old records.

in true gentlemanly fashion,
lapsed maps

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:47 am 

Plenty of opinions here.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:05 am 

The Pink Floyd was my bridge to what I sense to be good music, that led me eventually to Zappa. The diversity of sound from the first singles Arnold Layne and See Emily Play until Endless River is pretty awesome. Different phases, approaches, a development in the mastering of the production art and strong ego trips marked the path of this hugely successful act. They popularized more intelligent music in a world where superficiality rules.

My first thoughts on ER were that it was a collection of fragments, but now I can better understand the four continuous pieces (each side). It builds up nicely until the beautiful ballad that wraps it up, with distinct scattered impressions from the more percussive More tracks, an opening that evokes SOYCD, the amorphous textures from Saucerful of Secrets, the Welcome to the Machine VCS3 sounds, the odd insertion of the Us and Them line with a new twist and the one of the few worthed elements from AMLOR, the Sorrow vamp. It has nice musical textures and I am glad it is out. I would bet it would make a nice soundtrack for mind expansion...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:29 pm 

There isn't even one Pink Floyd album I don't like, so you know this short review is going to be positive.

The Endless River is essentially comprised of outtakes from The Division Bell sessions in 1993, with a few re-worked pieces. And it's also a tribute to the late, great and SEVERELY under-appreciated and underrated, Richard Wright (R.I.P. :cry: ). And I also think it's quite bold of them to release an album that's nearly all instrumental, especially one that includes pieces mostly written by RW. The flow of it is almost exactly as I expected it to be. It encompasses moods and styles from just about every corner of their illustrious career. I'm digging it a lot.

Favourite track: Anisina.

TER might debut at #1 next week. But it will have stiff competition from new titles by Foo Fighters and Garth Brooks...

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:09 pm 

Nervana, an additional track on the deluxe edition, is an interesting romp. Sounds like they were having fun.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:22 am 

^^
the riff vaguely reminds me of Mr Green Genes!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:37 am