Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 7:34 am 

I dunno if it's in english called Tapes or Casettes, but they rock. why you ask? Well, they last forever while CD only lasts for a while. And I have so many casettes, some I've never heard of before. Right now I just picked one and it ROCKS, it's 60's rock 'n roll, WOW. Oh yes oh yes. Nanananananaanananann. And on casettes u can have so many strange stuff and casettes are cheaper too ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 7:45 am 

[quote author=Sparlatacus link=board=general;num=1056476057;start=0#0 date=06/24/03 at 10:34:17]I dunno if it's in english called Tapes or Casettes[/quote]<br><br>Either one. "Casettes" are the formal term, while "tapes" are a bit more informal and nonchalant.<br><br>And yes, they rock. I picked up Black Sabbath's Paranoid at Wal-Mart (I also saw some other good, old stuff like Deep Purple and Thin Lizzy. I should have looked for some FZ there, too...) for under $5... awesome deal. I should rip and remaster it so I don't have to pay $20 for the CD version.<br><br>That same day, I bought a CD of the Italian Symphony Orchestra performing Haydn, AT A DOLLAR STORE.<br><br>It's for that reason I love dollar stores.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 8:17 am 

~ yeah, and they sound like crap in my CD player.<br><br>Image

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 10:41 am 

what about castanets or tambourines? <br><br>(the biggest reason why I like CDs is that you can skip songs.....which I odnt always like to do, but it is a nice feature when searching for a particular section)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 1:46 pm 

Quote:
we make a lot of cassette tapes. i consider them to be disposable. CDs are for keeps.  (but that's just me)
<br><br>Obviously, you don't know what ur talking about. CDs are made of a chemical that makes them last only about 30 years. Casettes however, are not made from that and can last forever if you threat them nicely. Why do you think they make tapes of classical recordings? So they can be kept forever, if they put them on CDs recordings from the old times would be lost.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 12:10 am 

[quote author=Sparlatacus link=board=general;num=1056476057;start=0#9 date=06/24/03 at 16:46:44]<br><br>Obviously, you don't know what ur talking about. CDs are made of a chemical that makes them last only about 30 years. Casettes however, are not made from that and can last forever if you threat them nicely. Why do you think they make tapes of classical recordings? So they can be kept forever, if they put them on CDs recordings from the old times would be lost.[/quote]<br><br>CD's like most things are sensitive things.<br>If you keep putting your grubby fingers all over the disc surface and placing objects on it, it's gonna get scratched and f*cked.<br><br>Cassettes are vile little creatures that belong in the bin with vinyl.<br><br>My reasons why you wanna avoid Cassettes are:<br><br>Low quality<br>High Noise levels<br>Wo & Flutter issues<br>Wears quickly<br>Tape mechanisms chew up the media<br>No instant access<br>Uncloneable<br>They are the little brother of the dreaded video tape!<br><br>So there ;)<br><br><br><br>

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 2:39 am 

[quote author=Ringo link=board=general;num=1056476057;start=0#11 date=06/25/03 at 03:10:29]<br><br><br>Cassettes are vile little creatures that belong in the bin with vinyl.<br><br><br>[/quote]<br><br>whoa, I wouldn't go that far and put cassettes with vinyl.  Vinyl is really great, its jsut that they can get damaged just the same as CDs, but they have a better quality that cassettes, form my listening experiences anyway.  I listened to  Paul Butterfield vinyl not too long ago, almost perfect quality sound. <br>

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 4:15 am 

[quote author=radagast link=board=general;num=1056476057;start=0#12 date=06/25/03 at 05:39:04]<br><br>whoa, I wouldn't go that far and put cassettes with vinyl.  Vinyl is really great, its jsut that they can get damaged just the same as CDs, but they have a better quality that cassettes, form my listening experiences anyway.  I listened to  Paul Butterfield vinyl not too long ago, almost perfect quality sound. <br>[/quote]<br><br>Hi radagast <br><br>I can be less romantic about Vinyl as it was just coming to the end of it's dominance as a format as I started to purchase music.<br><br>I can see why people get romantic about vinyl. Sure, it does sound great but it's a colored sound. I'm not saying that is a bad colour but like cassettes it does wear and is damaged much more easily than CD's. It's also massive and suffers from wo & flutter issues as well as warping and unable to offer instant access.<br><br>I guess you are right though, it should not be bunged in the same bin as the cassette. I'll bring out another bin dedicated to vinyl ;)<br><br><br>

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 4:16 am 

[quote author=Green_Genes link=board=general;num=1056476057;start=0#13 date=06/25/03 at 07:12:39]Hey... "SParlatacus" has said "CDs are made of a chemical that makes them last only about 30 years"<br><br>IS THAT REALLY TRUE????????????????[/quote]<br><br>No<br><br>

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 4:22 am 

Heck with all of 'em.<br><br>Bring back 8 Tracks.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 5:03 am 

[quote author=Lets_Be_Fraynk link=board=general;num=1056476057;start=15#17 date=06/25/03 at 07:22:40]Heck with all of 'em.<br><br>Bring back 8 Tracks.[/quote]<br><br>Hell yes ! LPs and 8-tracks are the best.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 5:55 am 

All audio media have thier limitations.<br><br>Tape can stretch and break. It is sensitive to temperature and moisture, especially when stored for long periods.<br><br>I personally consider it a disposable media, good for "alternate" storage.<br>

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 6:58 am 

My uncle who is a computer technician said that CDs is the poorest storage media man has ever created because it doesn't last long. Tapes however is much better for storage since it can be transferred to CD easily. I though LP and Vinyl where the same? What's the difference? And what's an 8-track?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 7:12 am 

[quote author=Sparlatacus link=board=general;num=1056476057;start=0#9 date=06/24/03 at 16:46:44]<br><br>Obviously, you don't know what ur talking about. CDs are made of a chemical that makes them last only about 30 years. Casettes however, are not made from that and can last forever if you threat them nicely. Why do you think they make tapes of classical recordings? So they can be kept forever, if they put them on CDs recordings from the old times would be lost.[/quote]<br>They make/made tapes of classical recordings on analogue reels,not cassette tapes.<br><br><br>Preservation of Audio Tapes<br><br>To: padg-l@cornell.edu<br>*      Subject: Preservation of Audio Tapes<br>*      From: "Peter D. Verheyen" <pdverhey@dreamscape.com><br>*      Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 20:49:10 -0500<br>*      Message-Id: <2.2.32.19970319014910.006b0f7c@future.dreamscape.com><br>*      Sender: owner-PADG-L@cornell.edu<br><br>The piece below was posted to the Archives list.<br><br>-A recent linguistic collection of around 200 cassette tapes that the we transferred to reel and CD-A for preservation presented a major problem. Many cassette tapes required physical repair to make them playable in ways other than the continual annoyance of breaking tapes.  The problems manifested themselves as loss of frequency response, slow running speeds, jammed tapes, slow changes in speed (wow) to high frequency modulation of the signal (scrape flutter).   Apart from the very apparent loss of the voice quality was a major loss of intelligibility. None of this was "subtle", but even if it was, it is still significant that the signal was compromised and that the compromised signal is now part of the archival record.<br><br><br>CD-ROMs are estimated to last anywhere from 30 to 200 years.<br><br>CD-Rs, before they are recorded, have an estimated shelf life of five to ten years.<br><br>CD-Rs, after recording, are estimated to last between 70 and 200 years.<br><br>CD-RWs are expected to last at least 30 years.<br><br><br>Obviously, you should know what your talking about, before telling someone they don't.<br>

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 7:46 am 

Speaking of 8 tracks ~<br><br>When I was a kid I'd hollow out an 8 trak tape and just have a little loop of tape left on there and then I'd stash my goodies inside.<br><br>It didn't hold a lot but my friends thought it was nifty.<br><br>