Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 10:10 am 

CDs are way better .Oh no the machine got hungry again there goes another tape.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 6:53 pm 

whatever the life of cd, you can always make an exact copy every 10 or 20 years to further extend the digital life indefinately or until they come up with a permanent media....as far as tapes go, they suck for all the above noted drawbacks; i have a couple of fz boots on tape, one tape is about 15 years old, a c-180, you can almost see through the fucking tape's so thin & it sounds like shit...<br><br><br>as far as tape storage, target for temperature/Relative Humidity for archival materials is 68ºF and 35% RH...also, maintain good air quality using high efficiency filters, introducing humidity; prevent stagnation by keeping the air moving to prevent mold growth; automatic control/monitoring is mandatory to achieve ±2 ºF and  ±4%RH at all times...all this good stuff should theoretically be setup in a redundant arrangement i.e. standby AC units, power supply & controls.... the tapes should be acclimated for at least 48 hours prior to removal from the archival vault to prevents rapid change in environmental conditions that destroys tapes....<br><br><br>all the above is not rocket science, it's commerclaly available & i gots to believe the zft vault was designed & is being maintained at this level of environmental control....hey, they've restored the dead fucking sea scrolls so they could figure out how to preserve these tapes indefinately, or a least until they've been mixed down & released to the public

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 8:48 pm 

[quote author=Dirty_Love link=board=general;num=1056476057;start=15#24 date=06/25/03 at 12:26:11]<br><br>I am very cearful with my CDs becaus They have costed me a lot of money so I whont em too last for at least 60 years...  ;)[/quote]<br><br>They will probably out last the cd player.<br><br>30 years from now, some kid will ask, whats a cd ?<br>