Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 363 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 15  Next
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:40 am 

slime.oofytv.set wrote:
dc boogie
disco b[arf]
got it from the toilet seat, while reading ayn rand

I actually called him Dis-Go Barf, to be exact - when I was still influenced by Disco Boy's incessant namecalling.

My own favourite from that period is this stupid haiku, which implies Nanook of the North as another name for the little bugger --

Nanook of the North
During rut in Disko Bay
Seals call Disko Boy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:58 am 

Disco Boy wrote:
brainpang wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:
If you two truly believe that, then you haven't been reading my points carefully enough. :roll:

iyiyiy! you have just crossed over from mild annoyance to scary.
can't you live with a draw?
start a new thread!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAgRBq2jnz4

Ouch, that hurt. Can't stand that Jilette guy, a major blowhard.

Too bad you don't want to move on, be of use.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:14 am 

Well, I called DB an "attention whore" didn't I? Well, his overall demeanour, and this goes way back to the old pre-crash forum (see "Least favorite drummer" thread, lots of DB posts themselves are gone, but quoted heavily by still-intact users), does strike me as opinionated wankery at its worst. I can't really figure out how can a person get so bloody opinionated and give strong evidence of hostile aggression against any dissenting opinion, other than seeing underlying attention craving motives. If someone proves me that DB is not the kind of poster to whom there is "no such thing as a good or bad behaviour, only effective or ineffective"*, I'll take back my words.

* how my friend, a father of two girls himself, summed up the problem of misbehaving children once. Goes without saying that much of the bickering on this forum and DB is just one participant among several, is rather childish as well.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:58 am 

I remember the first argument I had with DB, probably 6 months after the forum first started or so. It was about Tim Buckley. DB had said something about having heard enough TB to know that he is terrible or some such equivalent. Knowing that TB can be a difficult listen, I suggested that before giving up on TB all together, he should try Dream Letter. I think that album is much better than any other album he did, so it seemed a reasonable thing to suggest. DB wouldn't hear of it and made it very clear he would never listen to any TB again. I figured different strokes, so let I it go. Who knows, maybe that conversation is still out there somewhere. I suppose 10+ years later, I probably have it all wrong, but that discussion has stuck with me. Especially in light of his recent comments about The Edge. See, I have no intention of listening to U2 and finding out if The Edge is a great guitarist because he is in a band with Bono, who I can't stand. So, while DB's stance on TB has bothered me for years, I guess I can't claim higher ground. That is, unless one considers TB worthwhile and U2 not so.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:19 am 

Ed Organus Maximus wrote:
Well, I called DB an "attention whore" didn't I? Well, his overall demeanour, and this goes way back to the old pre-crash forum (see "Least favorite drummer" thread, lots of DB posts themselves are gone, but quoted heavily by still-intact users), does strike me as opinionated wankery at its worst.[/i]

That was worth a quick peek. I had no idea. 8 years on and it's the same old story.
And Hell, I'd sooner listen to Fergie's Fergalicious on a 24 hour loop than ever, ever get near a dream theater or rush record. And U2? okay for girls, I guess. note: In this day and age I'm happy that anyone chooses music, whatever kind, over the boob tube, hollywood, celeb worship, etc. So enjoy it.

Last edited by brainpang on Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:21 am 

The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
I guess I can't claim higher ground. That is, unless one considers TB worthwhile and U2 not so.

you can. One is art (the dead guy) and the other is pop, which is disposable.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:35 am 

U2 was pretty good when considering other pop music of the same era. When so many bands did the synth pop thing or that laughable hair metal thing, their brand of guitar pop certainly distinguished itself. However, if you compare them to The Fall for instance (or another edgy post-punk rock ensemble), U2 sounded pretty compromising and even stadium-y.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:40 am 

I don't see anything wrong with pop myself, but U2 are Christian pop; never one of my personal favourite genres.
Mind you, at least they inspired Harry & Paul to take the piss...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0I68_TNc1g

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:36 am 

not that all pop is disposable, like everything it mutates or the innovative bits are lifted for other purposes. but the stadium variety sure is disposable, in which U2 was born to flourish.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:59 pm 

caputh wrote:
slime.oofytv.set wrote:
... a formal petition to the executive kinda guys running this thread; the original headliner list needs a slight re-calibration ...
...so you must surely land up at the top of the list again in any future edit...
these executives have plooked the fuck out of me

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:49 pm 

downer mydnyte wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:
And the award for, Funniest Motherfucker On The Z Forum, goes to...
slime.oofytv.set

Are you calling him hilarious? That's an insult according to slime. (for proof see above)

By the way, you've got my award for most pious motherfucker on the Z forum.

And the award for Poster Who Can't Admit He's Wrong Or That His Shit Doesn't Stink, goes to...

downer mydnyte

brainpang wrote:
Too bad you don't want to move on, be of use.

Take a look in the mirror.

YOU are one of the ones here who PERPETUALLY flame & throw ad hominems at me, instead of engaging in healthy debate. And you have the temerity to accuse me of that?! :roll:

The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
I remember the first argument I had with DB, probably 6 months after the forum first started or so. It was about Tim Buckley. DB had said something about having heard enough TB to know that he is terrible or some such equivalent. Knowing that TB can be a difficult listen, I suggested that before giving up on TB all together, he should try Dream Letter. I think that album is much better than any other album he did, so it seemed a reasonable thing to suggest. DB wouldn't hear of it and made it very clear he would never listen to any TB again. I figured different strokes, so let I it go. Who knows, maybe that conversation is still out there somewhere. I suppose 10+ years later, I probably have it all wrong, but that discussion has stuck with me. Especially in light of his recent comments about The Edge. See, I have no intention of listening to U2 and finding out if The Edge is a great guitarist because he is in a band with Bono, who I can't stand. So, while DB's stance on TB has bothered me for years, I guess I can't claim higher ground. That is, unless one considers TB worthwhile and U2 not so.

I only vaguely remember this conversation. So I can't comment. But I do remember you stating you weren't interested in hearing Jeff Buckley's music, simply because after asking one of his fans outside of a club where he was playing, who was playing that night, the fan pretentiously stated that you wouldn't understand his music, or something to that effect.

I just listened to chunks of this album and I actually don't mind it. But it's a little too one dimensional for my tastes.

brainpang wrote:
not that all pop is disposable, like everything it mutates or the innovative bits are lifted for other purposes. but the stadium variety sure is disposable, in which U2 was born to flourish.

I don't think you realize how incredibly ignorant your above statement is. Not only since the word "disposable" is too subjective, but also because U2 never really made music that was considered "pop" until 2000. For example, listen to Achtung Baby (1991), Zooropa (1993) & Pop (1997) and then come back and tell me that the three aforementioned albums are "pop" music. Trust me, you'll be quite shocked...because these albums are some of the most innovative and experimental of the '90s...

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

Last edited by Disco Boy on Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:07 pm 

slime.oofytv.set wrote:
caputh wrote:
slime.oofytv.set wrote:
... a formal petition to the executive kinda guys running this thread; the original headliner list needs a slight re-calibration ...
...so you must surely land up at the top of the list again in any future edit...
these executives have plooked the fuck out of me

Got's to pay your debt to society, before, you lose your status @ the HS. :idea:
"love your nails are you a Libra?"

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:39 pm 

Disco Boy wrote:
I only vaguely remember this conversation. So I can't comment. But I do remember you stating you weren't interested in hearing Jeff Buckley's music, simply because after asking one of his fans outside of a club where he was playing, who was playing that night, the fan pretentiously stated that you wouldn't understand his music, or something to that effect.

It's Tim Buckley, not Jeff his lesser known contortionist side show speed freak cousin. You pulled a Bono. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:49 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:

It's Tim Buckley, not Jeff his lesser known contortionist side show speed freak cousin. You pulled a Bono. :mrgreen:

I was referring to Jeff Buckley - Tim's son.

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:23 pm 

Disco Boy wrote:
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:

^I didn't think Arkay was referring to Tim's kid though was he? I mean until you brought that up Arkay wasn't interested because of some exit poll from one fan^. I think Arkay would make up his own mind and not just judge from an ex-fan that's just leaving, or his/her views.

...and thank you for for not calling me a name even though I might have pulled a Bono too or Boehner if you prefer! :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:42 pm 

I'm not a true blue U2 fan, but saw them in concert circa 1984, and I have to say it was a damn good show (outdoor, not raining, 40,000 people aprox)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:02 am 

Thats cool DB that you remember the conversation. I do like some Jeff Buckley, but I prefer TB in general.
The story you are referencing is when I was walking by a venue in Chicago where people were waiting outside to see Jeff Buckley. I casually asked who was playing and got the hipster "psssh" brush-off for not knowing who he was before the rest of the world.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:39 am 

Disco Boy wrote:

YOU are one of the ones here who PERPETUALLY flame & throw ad hominems at me, instead of engaging in healthy debate. And you have the temerity to accuse me of that?!

[...]I don't think you realize how incredibly ignorant your above statement is[...]

Trust me

It amazes me how DB does not realize that the first statement is contradicted by the second statement which, in turn, makes one slightly disinclined to engage in the third statement.

BTW, slime.oofytv.set I should have written the bottom of the list, not the top and I'll gladly move you upwards if you give us a good reason - but do you really want to be one of the herd? Either top or bottom, I say! :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:07 am 

Caputh wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:

YOU are one of the ones here who PERPETUALLY flame & throw ad hominems at me, instead of engaging in healthy debate. And you have the temerity to accuse me of that?!

[...]I don't think you realize how incredibly ignorant your above statement is[...]

Trust me

It amazes me how DB does not realize that the first statement is contradicted by the second statement which, in turn, makes one slightly disinclined to engage in the third statement.

"And you have the TEMERITY..."

Yea, sure thing Granny!
I have this disturbing vision of db hobbling about in a black dress, glasses pinched to nose, waving a switch, maybe in an old wooden wheelchair.
So far, I've been told to STFU, that I am an asshole, a hypocrite, a joke, a cocksucker, etc.
All for a little gentle needling.

"Compelling evidence" can be a wonderful thing.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:01 am 

brainpang wrote:

...according to slime.oofytv.set's list to call him
brainpang wrote:
little lady

and
brainpang wrote:
lookin' mighty silly

That must have stung him dreadfully.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:20 am 

I've also offered to answer any question(s) that he so chooses (presented in a clear and concise fashion). No Q(ueue)'s thus far, not even confusing ones.

Too early to re-visit U2 records. laterrrrrrrrrr

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:00 pm 

brainpang wrote:

I love to put on some top 40 bubble gum POP and sing and dance with little Izzy, it must be,good if she likes it, she hasn't been ruined by society yet...she's still pure... :smoke:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:21 pm 

I bet Izzy'd love Jelly Roll Gum Drop. Fun song for kids, it's got candy in it! :wink:

I thought she'd know the lyrics to Brown Shoes Don't Make It by now. What's da matter, slow learner or teacher? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:25 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:

^I didn't think Arkay was referring to Tim's kid though was he? I mean until you brought that up Arkay wasn't interested because of some exit poll from one fan^. I think Arkay would make up his own mind and not just judge from an ex-fan that's just leaving, or his/her views.

...and thank you for for not calling me a name even though I might have pulled a Bono too or Boehner if you prefer! :wink:

I see now where I think we got our wires crossed. I should've separated the JB statements I made and included them in a second paragraph. My bad.

brainpang wrote:

Yea, sure thing Granny!
I have this disturbing vision of db hobbling about in a black dress, glasses pinched to nose, waving a switch, maybe in an old wooden wheelchair.
So far, I've been told to STFU, that I am an asshole, a hypocrite, a joke, a cocksucker, etc.
All for a little gentle needling.

"Compelling evidence" can be a wonderful thing.

"Gentle needling"? Give me a fucking break. You've been hounding me throughout this entire thread.

brainpang wrote:
I've also offered to answer any question(s) that he so chooses (presented in a clear and concise fashion). No Q(ueue)'s thus far, not even confusing ones.

Too early to re-visit U2 records. laterrrrrrrrrr

There's plenty of questions you could've answered pages ago (and in other threads too). And you haven't answered SHIT. ALL you've done in this thread is thrown ad hominems at me. :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:06 pm 

Disco Boy wrote:
I see now where I think we got our wires crossed. I should've separated the JB statements I made and included them in a second paragraph. My bad.

No bad to it DB, I'm not familiar with JB's music or name is all. It's nice to know we can get our wires crossed and not have a war break out over it though! :wink:

Now where's those setlists? :twisted: I've read the 1st show was just average and had equipment problems. I hope it all goes smooth for Dweezil's 44th Birthday tomorrow.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 363 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 15  Next