Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 356 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:03 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:27 pm
Posts: 5433
Location: echoing through the canyons of your mind
Dorko Dick wrote:

...Because he doesn't live in reality. Neither do other posters here. I, on the other hand, back my statements up with TRUTH, LOGIC, FACTS and EVIDENCE. These things are necessary when making smart and informed decisions....It's time to grow up children and face reality. Most of what you believe is WRONG....


Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:46 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:19 am
Posts: 4350
Location: in deepest, darkest Germany
Caputh wrote:

Just so we know, here's a list of some of DB's favourite people on the forum, vaguely ranked from the distant to close friends...
Sorry if I left anyone out and btw I think everyone on this list is very nice (apart from Isaac)

“(Fucking) Idiots”
Spacebrother (also nearly all of the below)
Downer Mydnyte (also “moron”)
Thinman
Plook (also “seriously mentally ill”, “asshole”, “spin-less, backpedaling weasel”, "shit-for-brains", "lying ball of turd droppings", purveyor of a "diarrhoea-filled-psycho-babble-rant-that-you-found-in-a-cracker-jack-box", "pseudo-intellectual-perpetual-masturbating-donkey-knob", "certifiably insane")
Polydigm
Mij (also:“I didn't call you an idiot. Though, I probably should have...”)
Cleon
Zombie 1210 (also: “asshole”)
Duchamp (also: “unable to prove anything”)

“Assholes”
HJ (also: "Caputh")
Lumpy Gravy
Brainpang (also: a "hypocrite" and "a complete fucking joke")
DC Boogie ( also: “hypocritical and act[s] like [his] shit don't stink”)

“Denying reality one step at a time”
Arkay (also: the possessor of “EXTREME ignorance regarding things you know little to NOTHING about.”)

“Can take [his] head out of his ass”
Help I’m A Rock (also: wittily referred to as “Help, I Suck Cock”)

"Jerk-off"
Pope Jim


Bad at English
Caputh (also “back peddling weasel”, “sad”, “asshole” - I’m surprised I wasn’t a moron, or an idiot btw)

"Hypocrite"
BBP


“Know[s] Disco Boy is correct but … can't allow himself to admit it publicly.”
blsabob23 (also: “purveyor of BS claims” who “may now return to La La Land”)

"Know[s] Disco Boy is right...BUT [he’s] a socialist...so there's NO way in hell [he’s] going to admit [he’s] wrong"
Uncle Bernie

“Failed", "failing”
PenguininBondage

“…have NO fucking clue what they're talking about”
balint
Ringo


Possibly stupid and unable to read
Quilt

Other “forumers who don’t get it”
Ed Organus Maximus
Buckalos

"Clueless"
Mikey

"Nuts. Sorry...“
Trendmonger

Should "get laid first" but offers "good ones", so "good for Isaac"
Isaac

“Should post more”
Baddy

Should “never stop posting”
A Rope Leash

“Get[s] on with fantastically ”
Kapt. Kiirk

“Gets it”
slime.oofytv.set

P.S. If anybody wants me to edit their name out, I will of course be glad to do so...


Edit 1 on this thread
Added: "shit-for-brains" for Plook.

Edit 2
Added: Isaac (how could I have forgotten him?) and Mikey. Changed BBP from "bad at English" to "Hypocrite", because I remembered him posting the fact that he thought her language skills were not up to scratch, BBP makes also reference to it, but I can't find the original post, so perhaps my memory is faulty. Also minor punctuation changes.

Edit 3
Added: Lots of hyphenated stuff on Plook and two new additions, (balint and Ringo) but from an older source. Also Duchamp has now advanced to (fucking) "idiot" and HJ who is now like Caputh.

_________________
"Secluded from mankind by his exalted dignity, the truth is concealed from his knowledge; he can see only with their eyes, he hears nothing but their misrepresentations."


Last edited by Caputh on Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:50 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:57 pm
Posts: 717
Location: Atlanta
We should come up with some sort of virtual trophy to honor each member who ends up on this list, and a clever title for the trophy.

_________________
“The power of pop music to corrupt and putrify the minds of world youth are virtually limitless."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:53 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:19 am
Posts: 4350
Location: in deepest, darkest Germany
I think it's a toss-up between Plook and SPACEBROTHER for the first prize at the moment :wink:

_________________
"Secluded from mankind by his exalted dignity, the truth is concealed from his knowledge; he can see only with their eyes, he hears nothing but their misrepresentations."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:11 pm
Posts: 3296
Location: Vancouver, BC
downer mydnyte wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:
ALL my points are well-grounded with logic, evidence and/or facts. Whereas, almost all of the other posts here who disagree with me throw ad hominems at me instead backing their shit up and engaging in healthy debate.


Please refer back to this post before responding to any future posts of mine.

I don't debate. I live life. I have rarely attempted to waste my precious energy debating you. I simply express my feelings. I feel, for example, that Ron Paul is an asshole and anyone who acts like his fucking disciple is also an asshole. Are you telling me I don't feel that way? That's ludicrous. Right? You can't tell me how I feel.

If I say to you, "Disco Boy, I have a headache", are you going to tell me to prove it? How do I prove it? There's no proof but I know I have a headache. I know what I feel. And I know what my own instincts are telling me.

Don't lump me in with the debaters. For me, there is NOTHING healthy about debating with you because you reveal no depth of character. You're like a sleazy, bitter lawyer. You appear to have an inferiority complex. It seems to me that you always want to debate on your own terms. You only want to discuss things that make you feel superior. Yet, you suck at revealing any humility. I have a lot more respect for humility than I do for debating prowess. You're a fucking speck of dust flying through space on a rock! If you want to talk to me, keep that in mind.

Unless you're in court, being a good debater is not worth much in this world. Here's how the real world tends to operate: Billy is good at debate and he's always right. Johnny is good at ass kicking so he kicks Billy's ass. Now Johnny is always right.


I think we all get it- you want to be thought of as champion debater. Great! You can have that title for all I care. "King Dork"- it suits you. Let's have a discussion that is not a debate. Are you capable? How do you feel about finding common ground with others?


You STILL don't get it.

How in the fuck is asking people here to back their claims up (which happen to be incredibly stupid) with EVIDENCE or PROOF, debating on one's own terms?! This is what happens in real life. Please enter it. And for the ONE MILLIONTH time, I don't give a shit about being personally correct, nor do I feel superior. But I do give a shit about getting things right through whatever means possible and in an objective manner. There's a difference. Do you understand? If not, you are one stupid motherfucker.

Lastly, not ONE person here has provided even remotely enough compelling evidence to contradict almost any of my recent points. Instead, they throw ad hominems at me. And if you're paying attention, we ALL know why that is. Keep this in mind...

brainpang wrote:
db is looking sad, tragic, lonely. good thing I have a hard heart or I just might cry.


Yet AGAIN, no debate, only ANOTHER ad hominem thrown at me. :roll:

_________________
:53 - :57...

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:57 pm
Posts: 717
Location: Atlanta
Disco Boy wrote:
Yet AGAIN, no debate, only ANOTHER ad hominem thrown at me. :roll:


Only an idiot would believe that. (Yes, that was an ad hominem, that was sarcasm, and it was also fun.)

However, I feel I should point out the very thick irony that you are making a claim that the only things you are receiving in response to your attempts at a reasonable debate are ad hominems within the very forum post that lists dozens of personal attacks you yourself have made. Oh, I guess I should apologize, it's acceptable for you to hurl insults as part of a debate, just not the rest of us, right? You see, if you want to keep playing the ad hominem card, perhaps you should consider refraining from personal verbal abuses of your own. Yes, you can attempt to justify that there are legitimate reasons to use personal insults in a debate if you like, but a "wise" man once said:

Image

Will you now add more to the list for the pleasure of those still paying attention?

_________________
“The power of pop music to corrupt and putrify the minds of world youth are virtually limitless."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:11 pm
Posts: 3296
Location: Vancouver, BC
duchamp wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:
Yet AGAIN, no debate, only ANOTHER ad hominem thrown at me. :roll:


Only an idiot would believe that. (Yes, that was an ad hominem, that was sarcasm, and it was also fun.)


Only an idiot would read an entire thread full of ad hominems thrown at me and not see they're ad hominems thrown at me.

duchamp wrote:
However, I feel I should point out the very thick irony that you are making a claim that the only things you are receiving in response to your attempts at a reasonable debate are ad hominems within the very forum post that lists dozens of personal attacks you yourself have made. Oh, I guess I should apologize, it's acceptable for you to hurl insults as part of a debate, just not the rest of us, right? You see, if you want to keep playing the ad hominem card, perhaps you should consider refraining from personal verbal abuses of your own. Yes, you can attempt to justify that there are legitimate reasons to use personal insults in a debate if you like, but a "wise" man once said:


There's no irony.

What you don't understand is that you're taking things OUT OF CONTEXT. The personal insults I've thrown recently (especially the ones in the thread with Plook you're probably referring to), do not necessarily involve debate AND are insults I believe the poster(s) in question deserved. There's a difference... :roll:

_________________
:53 - :57...

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:57 pm
Posts: 717
Location: Atlanta
I guess it was silly of me to expect more, but are you now actually going to claim that the entire list of insults herein was justified and not part of debate, or are you just picking out the part that you are most comfortable with acknowledging?

_________________
“The power of pop music to corrupt and putrify the minds of world youth are virtually limitless."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:11 pm
Posts: 3296
Location: Vancouver, BC
duchamp wrote:
I guess it was silly of me to expect more, but are you now actually going to claim that the entire list of insults herein was justified and not part of debate, or are you just picking out the part that you are most comfortable with acknowledging?


Not necessarily. It depends on which particular insults I've made you're referring to...

_________________
:53 - :57...

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:57 pm
Posts: 717
Location: Atlanta
Then will you at least admit that you also engage in ad hominems, from time to time?

_________________
“The power of pop music to corrupt and putrify the minds of world youth are virtually limitless."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:13 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:33 pm
Posts: 656
Location: Puisard Radioactif
We dont say: What you don't understand
We say: let me explain myself better

:mrgreen:

_________________
The stars will be aligned together soon so be prepared for the big hit!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:30 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:33 am
Posts: 3464
They can't be ad hominas directed at the db because that is what the "debate" is all about: him.
He'll never see that and so closes the book (for me) on the db chronicles.

If he had any sense he would move on, start a new political or whatever thread and see how it goes.
I would suggest he refine his tactics and see if he gets a better response.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:52 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:41 am
Posts: 396
Location: Centerville, Norway
brainpang wrote:
They can't be ad homin[em]s directed at the db because that is what the "debate" is all about: him.

This is true and shows that DB doesn't even understand his own terminology. On the other hand - when DB dismisses Plook's real life experience of the impact of FEJ71 on the West Coast in the early Seventies, because he considers Plook a moron - that's a classic ad hominem argument. And typical of DB's behaviour on the forum.

_________________
If I'm not alone... How long have I been asleep?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:58 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:27 pm
Posts: 5433
Location: echoing through the canyons of your mind
He ain't got no friends, and all the others they hate him....Does the life he's been leading got to go?...Well let me straighten you out, about a thread I know...get your cue's and queue's off people, it's right around the corner.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:19 am
Posts: 4350
Location: in deepest, darkest Germany
downer mydnyte wrote:


I think we all get it- you want to be thought of as champion debater. Great! You can have that title for all I care... Let's have a discussion that is not a debate. Are you capable? How do you feel about finding common ground with others?


Actually, I think Downer hits the nail on the head here. DB is looking for a debate that he can "win". I can't speak for other posters, but that is not what I post for. I, and I think many others here, are looking for a discussion i.e. I would like to learn what others think to test my own beliefs. The problem with DB (and this is speculation on my part) is that he isn't per se interested in what anybody else thinks (very often he claims he knows what they think, anyway); rather he provides a point of view, often with minimal evidence and expects everyone to agree with him. He's also not interested in any evidence that might disprove his beliefs as otherwise it would mean that he had "lost" the debate and, I surmise (although, unlike him, I cannot "know") would thus lose face. It's when people don't agree that he has provided "overwhelming evidence" that the insults come, mostly as a result of jocular, ironic comments that most would consider harmless...

_________________
"Secluded from mankind by his exalted dignity, the truth is concealed from his knowledge; he can see only with their eyes, he hears nothing but their misrepresentations."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:11 pm
Posts: 3296
Location: Vancouver, BC
duchamp wrote:
Then will you at least admit that you also engage in ad hominems, from time to time?


No, because it wouldn't be true, unless I've had a prolonged history with posters that no longer have credibility with me.

brainpang wrote:
They can't be ad hominas directed at the db because that is what the "debate" is all about: him.
He'll never see that and so closes the book (for me) on the db chronicles.

If he had any sense he would move on, start a new political or whatever thread and see how it goes.
I would suggest he refine his tactics and see if he gets a better response.


There you go AGAIN...side-stepping the issue and throwing ad hominems at me instead. Perpetually unable to provide evidence to convincingly contradict my points.

DC Boogie wrote:
This is true and shows that DB doesn't even understand his own terminology. On the other hand - when DB dismisses Plook's real life experience of the impact of FEJ71 on the West Coast in the early Seventies, because he considers Plook a moron - that's a classic ad hominem argument. And typical of DB's behaviour on the forum.


BS. Where the FUCK did I dismiss, "...Plook's real life experience of the impact of FEJ71 on the West Coast in the early Seventies...", because I consider him a moron?! Where?! Provide a quote that's not OUT OF CONTEXT.

Regardless, Plook IS a moron of epic proportions (much like many posters here). And there's PLENTY of detail in my posts over the past couple of years specifying why that is.


Fucking hell, you guys are PATHETIC... :roll:

_________________
:53 - :57...

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:41 am
Posts: 396
Location: Centerville, Norway
Disco Boy wrote:
Where the FUCK did I dismiss, "...Plook's real life experience of the impact of FEJ71 on the West Coast in the early Seventies...", because I consider him a moron?! Where?! Provide a quote that's not OUT OF CONTEXT.

Regardless, Plook IS a moron of epic proportions (much like many posters here). And there's PLENTY of detail in my posts over the past couple of years specifying why that is.


Disco Boy wrote:
tweedle-dee wrote:
You know not what you say, you were not there... :smoke:

See this is your problem, instead of saying "I did not know that, now I understand"... and be done with it and move on, you stretch all credibility and try to twist it up until somehow you think you made yourself look right...

This is why you are known for half truths and outright lies and it reeks of anti social and psychopathic behavior…you’re a wreck, we tried to help, but you just will not stop, typical of your type.

You’re the guy that ends up doing something Bad, because you have brainwashed yourself that it is good.

What a sad, sad existence…we hope you get real professional help someday... :smoke:


Considering everything I've discussed with you over however many months now, if this above post doesn't PROVE you're in complete denial about your shit not stinking, that you're THE weasel of all weasels, that you can't admit when you're wrong and that you're a complete and utter fucking idiot, then I think unfortunately, nothing will.

You may now return to your Kingdom of Armchair-Psycho-Babble...


Another guy's view and DB's response, with a hint of ad hominem argument, tempered for the occasion - "some people in LA" not "a bunch of assholes" --


Disco Boy wrote:
schvanzbass wrote:
Disco Boy, I've got no beef with you man....and being one of the new guys around here, I don't wanna talk shit. But if you weren't in LA when "Filmore" came out then don't act like you know better than someone who was. That's like telling someone who was in Seattle in the late 80's/early 90's and saying they don't know shit about Temple of the Dog.


All I'm saying is that it's not one of his top sellers in the US or most parts of the world. And just because some people in LA loved it at the time, doesn't raise the status of it much higher...


http://www.zappa.com/messageboard/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=24671&start=75

_________________
If I'm not alone... How long have I been asleep?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:50 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:19 am
Posts: 4350
Location: in deepest, darkest Germany
Here's evidence of evidence from Disco Boy
DB obviously considers evidence very important...

Disco Boy wrote:
you little weasels have yet to contradict ANY of my recent points with convincing evidence.


Disco Boy wrote:
Perpetually unable to provide evidence to convincingly contradict my points.


Disco Boy wrote:
ALL my points are well-grounded with logic, evidence and/or facts.


Disco Boy wrote:
I, on the other hand, back my statements up with TRUTH, LOGIC, FACTS and EVIDENCE.


Disco Boy wrote:
I always back up my shit with evidence, facts, logic and integrity,


Disco Boy wrote:
Argue your point without any strong evidence or any evidence at all, while acting like you're right, despite the FACT you're not.


Disco Boy wrote:
There's this thing called proof and backing up claims with evidence.


Disco Boy wrote:
stating "you're wrong" without providing evidence or proof to back up those claims,


Disco Boy wrote:
Is it wise to continue spewing claims without compelling evidence


Disco Boy wrote:
So when I present facts or evidence, I let that tell the story and at least try to be objective as possible.


Disco Boy wrote:
ALL of your above points has been thoroughly analyzed and I've given reasonable explanations based on solid evidence contradicting and/or disproving your BS claims.


Disco Boy wrote:
Did you watch the link at the beginning of this thread?! You damn well know what I said is correct. There's PLENTY of evidence out there to back it up.


Disco Boy wrote:
If you truly think I don't have a good idea of what the ZFT titles have sold, then you're not considering the evidence that supports my point of view. And you're certainly not providing ANY compelling evidence to the contrary.


Disco Boy wrote:
I guess that means since you've gone the distance with me numerous times now, that you're not intelligent? Why else would you resort to responding to my posts by providing almost NO compelling evidence to the contrary


Disco Boy wrote:
I present and assert my viewpoints with either evidence, facts or logic.


Disco Boy wrote:
There's a shitload of compelling evidence out there and I know where to find it so I hope you'll take my word on this.


Disco Boy wrote:
And this time, you'll hopefully not ignore 50+ pages of evidence contradicting and/or PROVING your false claims wrong


Disco Boy wrote:
Thinks [...]Ron Paul is a racist (despite the OVERWHELMING evidence showing he isn't)


Disco Boy wrote:
Here's a link to the beginning of this thread (you know, the one where you've IGNORED 50+ pages of evidence that contradicts and/or DISPROVES your idiotic claims against him)


Disco Boy wrote:
they did teach me to provide enough compelling evidence or proof when backing up my claims.


(Goes on for about 100 further posts).

So that's the evidence.

But where's the evidence? :?

Oh, that's the evidence :idea:

_________________
"Secluded from mankind by his exalted dignity, the truth is concealed from his knowledge; he can see only with their eyes, he hears nothing but their misrepresentations."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:49 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:52 pm
Posts: 1740
You are all such children.

It boggles the head. So much time is wasted on this forum with personal spats, and hateful attacks.

For one thing, Disco Boy doesn't seem to be any worse than jaypfunk or SPACEBROTHER forum entity when it comes to hurling personal insults. It's a stupid "style" of debate that is quite popular in the West, because so many people are so dumb they can't tell the difference between a reasoned debate and personal pissing match. I myself engage in such tactics from time to time, but I try to keep it retaliatory.

So, what's the point of this thread? To show that Disco Boy is a bad person? To run him off? Look in the mirror...are you any different?

No, you are not. You are a human being...(several human beings in the case of SPACEBROTHER forum entity). It takes all kinds. Human beings must constantly be forgiven for doing the things human beings do. If someone pisses you off, calls you names, or makes insinuations about your status, so what? Retaliate, ignore, or set an example.

I am personally frustrated with a few "debaters" here that will not look at links or even carefully read posts. Most of us are old, I suspect, entrenched in our thinking, and not open to new ways of looking at things. But, so what? I'm frustrated, not angry. This is an obscure rock star fan forum, not The McLaughlin Group.

What really irritates me about a thread like this is that it elevates certain posters to "legendary" status when they truly do not deserve it. Disco Boy is on the right hand of Ron Paul, I am on the left. I am all for freedom and the Constitution, but not so much for totally free markets and balls-out capitalism. That's okay, right? No reason to get pissy about it, right? If someone wants to get pissy, I can get pissy right back, or not. Right? It's all part of the fun.

As it is with Trendmonger, whom I don't know and do not really have a beef with, but so many people just hate...and as it was with Isaac, who was a real pain in the ass...there seems to be a near blood-lust of hatred whereupon certain forumers pile on other forumers. Is it really the debate style, or is it that you just don't like his opinions...hmmm?

I, for one, do not need to pile on. I fought long and hard with Isaac, and did not think he should be banned. The more we fought, the more my point of view was presented. I've had many arguments with SPACEBROTHER forum entity, and many times was called "douche" or whatever. That's okay, I'll retaliate in kind or I won't, nobody is going to win anyway. All I ask is that participants are actually reading my posts carefully and with open minds, instead of dismissing what I say with some derogatory personal insult.

To me, Disco Boy presents some pretty well-thought out arguments, but doesn't win any hearts and minds due to the ham-handed tactics. Why immortalize him with a thread like this?

Is there anyone on this forum that is so well-liked by everyone that they deserve a praise thread?

BBP? JPD? Mr. GG? MFT?

That would be more like it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:58 pm
Posts: 12766
Location: Home of The Mondavi Center.
A rope leash wrote:
Is there anyone on this forum that is so well-liked by everyone that they deserve a praise thread?


unica, if it would have kept him here longer.

_________________
I'm getting larger as I walk away.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:57 pm
Posts: 717
Location: Atlanta
A rope leash wrote:
It boggles the head. So much time is wasted on this forum with personal spats, and hateful attacks.

For one thing, Disco Boy doesn't seem to be any worse than jaypfunk or SPACEBROTHER forum entity when it comes to hurling personal insults. It's a stupid "style" of debate that is quite popular in the West, because so many people are so dumb they can't tell the difference between a reasoned debate and personal pissing match. I myself engage in such tactics from time to time, but I try to keep it retaliatory.



For me it is quite simple. I expect the same of people in the real world as I do here. Having a machine between you does not give you any more right to be disrespectful to people. To me, if a person chooses to be personally insulting and refuses to apologize for it, I have no respect for them. It's all about attitude. If a person states their opinions as facts, and insults other people and tells them they are wrong, I have no interest in any of their claims, even if I might be inclined to agree with them.

By the way, I believe almost everything any person chooses to speak about is an opinion. If you did not witness a given event yourself, then you do not KNOW for an absolute fact that what you think happened really did. Claiming that you are right, when you did not see an event happen, is arrogance. You were not there. Your "evidence" is a bunch of words you read on the internet. Words that anybody could type. Just because the words you read sound like things you agree with does make make them any more truthful.

I have no particular issue with any claim DB or most anyone else on here would make. As far as I am concerned, almost every single person involved in politics at it's highest levels is corrupt. I feel that the system itself is created in such a way that the only way to rise to the highest levels is to be corrupt. It's inherent to the system.

Notice how when I made many of my claims here, I used the words "I feel", "I believe" and "to me". These are statements that admit I could be wrong, statements of humility. I do not always present myself with humility, but I do make an attempt. My opinions are not presented as facts. Insults and arrogance make me, and many other people, lose respect for the other person, whether they are someone I meet on the street, or here.

_________________
“The power of pop music to corrupt and putrify the minds of world youth are virtually limitless."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2003 2:41 pm
Posts: 14647
A rope leash wrote:
You are all such children.

It boggles the head. So much time is wasted on this forum with personal spats, and hateful attacks.

For one thing, Disco Boy doesn't seem to be any worse than jaypfunk or SPACEBROTHER forum entity when it comes to hurling personal insults. It's a stupid "style" of debate that is quite popular in the West, because so many people are so dumb they can't tell the difference between a reasoned debate and personal pissing match. I myself engage in such tactics from time to time, but I try to keep it retaliatory.

So, what's the point of this thread? To show that Disco Boy is a bad person? To run him off? Look in the mirror...are you any different?

No, you are not. You are a human being...(several human beings in the case of SPACEBROTHER forum entity). It takes all kinds. Human beings must constantly be forgiven for doing the things human beings do. If someone pisses you off, calls you names, or makes insinuations about your status, so what? Retaliate, ignore, or set an example.

I am personally frustrated with a few "debaters" here that will not look at links or even carefully read posts. Most of us are old, I suspect, entrenched in our thinking, and not open to new ways of looking at things. But, so what? I'm frustrated, not angry. This is an obscure rock star fan forum, not The McLaughlin Group.

What really irritates me about a thread like this is that it elevates certain posters to "legendary" status when they truly do not deserve it. Disco Boy is on the right hand of Ron Paul, I am on the left. I am all for freedom and the Constitution, but not so much for totally free markets and balls-out capitalism. That's okay, right? No reason to get pissy about it, right? If someone wants to get pissy, I can get pissy right back, or not. Right? It's all part of the fun.

As it is with Trendmonger, whom I don't know and do not really have a beef with, but so many people just hate...and as it was with Isaac, who was a real pain in the ass...there seems to be a near blood-lust of hatred whereupon certain forumers pile on other forumers. Is it really the debate style, or is it that you just don't like his opinions...hmmm?

I, for one, do not need to pile on. I fought long and hard with Isaac, and did not think he should be banned. The more we fought, the more my point of view was presented. I've had many arguments with SPACEBROTHER forum entity, and many times was called "douche" or whatever. That's okay, I'll retaliate in kind or I won't, nobody is going to win anyway. All I ask is that participants are actually reading my posts carefully and with open minds, instead of dismissing what I say with some derogatory personal insult.

To me, Disco Boy presents some pretty well-thought out arguments, but doesn't win any hearts and minds due to the ham-handed tactics. Why immortalize him with a thread like this?

Is there anyone on this forum that is so well-liked by everyone that they deserve a praise thread?

BBP? JPD? Mr. GG? MFT?

That would be more like it.


You are dumb and you stink and you are a big doo-doo head. Haha!!! (runs away)

_________________
One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2002 12:41 pm
Posts: 13497
Location: Schools that do not teach
Wow, I'm flattered 8)

How to insult a US American: Yankee dog? Ah, Amerikanischer Schwein?

_________________
The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true Art and Science. - Albert Einstein

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:48 pm
Posts: 18100
Location: Somewhere in time
Caputh wrote:
I think it's a toss-up between Plook and SPACEBROTHER for the first prize at the moment :wink:



If I engaged that bully more I could win that race going away...SB doesn't know how to press the buttons like I do... :wink:

:smoke:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:27 pm
Posts: 5433
Location: echoing through the canyons of your mind
Apparently I only needed to push one right button because he put me on ignore. Apparently he felt threatened and panicked when I did indeed present him with actual "TRUTH, LOGIC, FACTS and EVIDENCE."

Regarding a rope leashes commentary above, he's just mad at me because I dedicated an entire thread critical of Ron Paul........speaking of which......

Speaking for myself, the only people I ever have any conflicts with are the 4 or 5 people who don't like my criticisms of guns, Ron Paul, Ron Paul supporters, Rand Paul, Republicans, Neo-Conservatives, racists, fascists, the Tea Party, George Bush, birthers, Birchers, Ayn Rand, Libertarians, anti-union folks, Fox News, Limbaugh, O'Reilly, Hannity, Breitbart, Lew Rockwell and conspiracy theorists. Those same 4 or 5 people also happen to be the only ones db isn't fighting with and/or insulting.

...otherwise, I get along fine with the other 40 - 50 people who post here with any regularity.


edit - I agree that Unica is a cool person.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 356 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MSNbot Media and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group