Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 356 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 15  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:55 pm
Posts: 2211
A rope leash wrote:
so many people are so dumb they can't tell the difference between a reasoned debate and personal pissing match

I find pissing matches far more interesting, revealing and ultimately more educational. And more humorous! It's important to laugh. I think you're way off on this one. Nobody here hates disco boy, do they? Anybody? (Raise your hand if you think DB is worth hating). I certainly don't hate him. He's hilarious! I don't want to run him off. It would be nice to think he was willing to evolve. I'm not set in my ways. I am always willing to change my mind. To fail means to learn. Hopefully.

Disco Boy wrote:
EVIDENCE or PROOF

The problem is, Disco Boy, you don't have any evidence or proof. At least not that you've personally uncovered. It's all links/words/stats. We can all dig up the links/words/stats. We all have access to the same links/words/stats that you have. You offer nothing original or personal yet you keep claiming that you offer proof/evidence as if it's some badge of honor. You don't personally uncover the evidence. You don't go out and collect all the data for the statistics. At best you compile. When all is said and done, you've rarely offered anything revelatory.


Disco Boy wrote:
I do give a shit about getting things right through whatever means possible and in an objective manner.

Then get off your ass and dig up some evidence that is not already available to all of us.

I can back up all sorts of claims. Big deal. And my claims have nothing to do with the fake economy, rigged presidential elections or manipulated statistics that are available to all. You've got to witness things to really know what happened.

Disco Boy wrote:
Do you understand?...

It's not necessary to ask me if I understand. I find your concepts very easy to follow and your tendency to repeat yourself into infinity (see Capuths recent compilation of your posts) makes it impossible to misunderstand.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:04 pm
Posts: 2817
Location: Chicago, sort of.
Me? I'd love a praise Ronny thread..... Who do I see about that? :lol:

_________________
Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:11 pm
Posts: 3529
Location: Vancouver, BC
DC Boogie wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:
Where the FUCK did I dismiss, "...Plook's real life experience of the impact of FEJ71 on the West Coast in the early Seventies...", because I consider him a moron?! Where?! Provide a quote that's not OUT OF CONTEXT.

Regardless, Plook IS a moron of epic proportions (much like many posters here). And there's PLENTY of detail in my posts over the past couple of years specifying why that is.


Disco Boy wrote:
tweedle-dee wrote:
You know not what you say, you were not there... :smoke:

See this is your problem, instead of saying "I did not know that, now I understand"... and be done with it and move on, you stretch all credibility and try to twist it up until somehow you think you made yourself look right...

This is why you are known for half truths and outright lies and it reeks of anti social and psychopathic behavior…you’re a wreck, we tried to help, but you just will not stop, typical of your type.

You’re the guy that ends up doing something Bad, because you have brainwashed yourself that it is good.

What a sad, sad existence…we hope you get real professional help someday... :smoke:


Considering everything I've discussed with you over however many months now, if this above post doesn't PROVE you're in complete denial about your shit not stinking, that you're THE weasel of all weasels, that you can't admit when you're wrong and that you're a complete and utter fucking idiot, then I think unfortunately, nothing will.

You may now return to your Kingdom of Armchair-Psycho-Babble...


Another guy's view and DB's response, with a hint of ad hominem argument, tempered for the occasion - "some people in LA" not "a bunch of assholes" --


Disco Boy wrote:
schvanzbass wrote:
Disco Boy, I've got no beef with you man....and being one of the new guys around here, I don't wanna talk shit. But if you weren't in LA when "Filmore" came out then don't act like you know better than someone who was. That's like telling someone who was in Seattle in the late 80's/early 90's and saying they don't know shit about Temple of the Dog.


All I'm saying is that it's not one of his top sellers in the US or most parts of the world. And just because some people in LA loved it at the time, doesn't raise the status of it much higher...


http://www.zappa.com/messageboard/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=24671&start=75


Uh, I said to provide quotes that are NOT OUT OF CONTEXT. And if one reads the thread in question, I provided perfectly logical reasons backing up my point. There are NO ad hominems above from me. :roll:

duchamp wrote:
For me it is quite simple. I expect the same of people in the real world as I do here. Having a machine between you does not give you any more right to be disrespectful to people. To me, if a person chooses to be personally insulting and refuses to apologize for it, I have no respect for them. It's all about attitude. If a person states their opinions as facts, and insults other people and tells them they are wrong, I have no interest in any of their claims, even if I might be inclined to agree with them.

By the way, I believe almost everything any person chooses to speak about is an opinion. If you did not witness a given event yourself, then you do not KNOW for an absolute fact that what you think happened really did. Claiming that you are right, when you did not see an event happen, is arrogance. You were not there. Your "evidence" is a bunch of words you read on the internet. Words that anybody could type. Just because the words you read sound like things you agree with does make make them any more truthful.

I have no particular issue with any claim DB or most anyone else on here would make. As far as I am concerned, almost every single person involved in politics at it's highest levels is corrupt. I feel that the system itself is created in such a way that the only way to rise to the highest levels is to be corrupt. It's inherent to the system.

Notice how when I made many of my claims here, I used the words "I feel", "I believe" and "to me". These are statements that admit I could be wrong, statements of humility. I do not always present myself with humility, but I do make an attempt. My opinions are not presented as facts. Insults and arrogance make me, and many other people, lose respect for the other person, whether they are someone I meet on the street, or here.


If that's how you "feel", then you must not respect almost anyone here...and possibly even yourself.

downer mydnyte wrote:
I'm not set in my ways. I am always willing to change my mind. To fail means to learn. Hopefully.


Image

downer mydnyte wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:
EVIDENCE or PROOF

The problem is, Disco Boy, you don't have any evidence or proof. At least not that you've personally uncovered. It's all links/words/stats. We can all dig up the links/words/stats. We all have access to the same links/words/stats that you have. You offer nothing original or personal yet you keep claiming that you offer proof/evidence as if it's some badge of honor. You don't personally uncover the evidence. You don't go out and collect all the data for the statistics. At best you compile. When all is said and done, you've rarely offered anything revelatory.


Disco Boy wrote:
I do give a shit about getting things right through whatever means possible and in an objective manner.

Then get off your ass and dig up some evidence that is not already available to all of us.

I can back up all sorts of claims. Big deal. And my claims have nothing to do with the fake economy, rigged presidential elections or manipulated statistics that are available to all. You've got to witness things to really know what happened.

Disco Boy wrote:
Do you understand?...

It's not necessary to ask me if I understand. I find your concepts very easy to follow and your tendency to repeat yourself into infinity (see Capuths recent compilation of your posts) makes it impossible to misunderstand.


1. I have so provided a plethora of compelling evidence and proof to back up my points. If you truly believe I haven't, then you either haven't read my posts, or you're in denial? Which is it?

2. So because I didn't witness certain events, that means the evidence & proof I've provided to back up my points is rendered inadmissible?! Then according to your demented logic, JFK, RFK, John Lennon weren't assassinated. Holy fucking shit, that's probably the hollowest AND weakest failed attempt at providing an opposing view I've ever read in my entire life. You CANNOT be for real. Are you smoking crack?!

3. You can't back up SHIT. Nor have you. Don't make me spit out my beer and collapse on the floor in laugher... :roll:

4. Yes, it is. And that's because you clearly don't.

_________________
:53 - :57...

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:55 pm
Posts: 2211
Disco Boy wrote:
If you truly believe I haven't, then you either haven't read my posts, or you're in denial? Which is it?

I'm in denial.
Disco Boy wrote:
You can't back up SHIT.

I don't want my shit backed up. Constipation leads to fecal impaction, which can progress to bowel obstruction. Or diarrhea of the mouth!
Disco Boy wrote:
Are you smoking crack?!

Every 20 minutes. I don't have any to spare, though. Sorry.
Disco Boy wrote:
So because I didn't witness certain events, that means the evidence & proof I've provided to back up my points is rendered inadmissible? According to that logic, JFK, RFK, John Lennon weren't assassinated.

No. Read my posts slower. According to my logic, the evidence you supply is not evidence that you have personally uncovered. It's evidence we all have access to. Which makes it unremarkable and quite dull.
Disco Boy wrote:
I have so provided a plethora of compelling evidence and proof to back up my points.

You've compiled other people's evidence. Evidence we can all access.
Disco Boy wrote:
that's probably the most hollow opposing view I've ever read in my entire life.

That's because it's not an opposing view. I agree with you that you believe everything you post.

Have you ever seen the film Glengarry Glen Ross?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:11 pm
Posts: 3529
Location: Vancouver, BC
^^^^^^^^^^^
If completely contradicting yourself coupled with your failed attempt at humour is your way of admitting you're full of shit, so be it. :roll:

Game. Set. Match.

_________________
:53 - :57...

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:49 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:33 am
Posts: 3525
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:30 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:52 pm
Posts: 1787
So, the old Vauxhall broke down.

No reason to kill yourself...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:46 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:19 am
Posts: 4726
Location: in deepest, darkest Germany
A rope leash wrote:
You are all such children.

It boggles the head. So much time is wasted on this forum with personal spats, and hateful attacks.

For one thing, Disco Boy doesn't seem to be any worse than jaypfunk or SPACEBROTHER forum entity when it comes to hurling personal insults. It's a stupid "style" of debate that is quite popular in the West, because so many people are so dumb they can't tell the difference between a reasoned debate and personal pissing match. I myself engage in such tactics from time to time, but I try to keep it retaliatory.

So, what's the point of this thread? To show that Disco Boy is a bad person? To run him off? Look in the mirror...are you any different?



Rope, I have some sympathy for your point of view and I will try to answer your question as to why I started this thread.

1. At least from my side, I always enjoy your posts and, as far as I can see, I think we generally get on quite well. On the other hand, we have very differing views on many subjects. Why is that we don't get into a slanging match every time our views differ? Basically, IMO, the reason is that a) We are both interested in what the other might say b) We respect each other's POV and persons. Just because somebody has different opinion from me, it doesn't mean that they are "a (fucking) idiot", or indeed "wrong". This is something that DB consistently fails to regard; the moment somebody disagrees with him, the insults quickly follow.

2. It is fairly easy not to take jaypfunk's banter massively seriously. In fact, not even DB insults jaypfunk, which is why he is not on the list. This is basically because he confines his posts to negative one-liners.

3. Three of the major differences between SPACEBROTHER and Disco Boy are IMO:
i) The number of people being insulted. Look at the list; that's quite a lot of the active posters on this forum. Obviously if you're somebody SPACEBROTHER is insulting (and I agree, he has done it often enough in your case) small comfort.
ii) The level of repetition involved. Disco Boy deals with slogans that he repeats endlessly. In fact, in various forms, he has posted the words ONE MORE TIME FOR THE WORLD 94 times. Not even Slime likes this phrase anymore. Equally the words "compelling evidence" have been posted 64 times by him. At least SPACEBROTHER varies his vocabulary a bit.
iii) The double standards he applies to his behaviour and to those of others. Claiming "compelling evidence" all the time is not actually providing compelling evidence. When somebody else provides "compelling evidence" it is suddenly not compelling evidence and can be safely discarded. If somebody starts using mildly derogatory language about him, his prior or subsequent insulting reaction is not to be equated with his favourite new phrase "ad hominem". SPACEBROTHER can very rarely be accused of hypocrisy in my opinion.

4) The total lack of humility inherent in phrases like: "I ALWAYS back up my points with facts and logic".

5) A total and utter failure to admit that he might have got a fact, however minor, wrong: e.g. "Cue/Queue" "Inverted Commas", "The UK is not in Europe", "Mussolini was a Socialist/ Mussolini's Fascist Italy is an example of capitalism at its best", "Pinochet's free market economy is something to be imitated/Chile today is much better than under Pinochet." The last two were actually posted after an interval of time, with no admission that he might have changed his mind.

6) No "intentional" sense of humour and an inability to laugh at himself. Made abundantly clear in phrases like: "failed attempt at humour", "horrible attempt at sarcasm", "cut the hyperbolic BS".

7) So why this thread?
a) It amused me - which, I admit, is probably childish.
b) I don't see why 24 people should just sit around passively and humour Disco Boy.
c) He should learn that the majority here do not enjoy being insulted and that most people aren't here for a debate, but a discussion.
d) I found slime's suggestion that SPACEBROTHER and I had somehow provoked Disco Boy and that his behaviour was thus entirely justifiable incorrect to say the least.
e) Also, I found the suggestion that Disco Boy's (entirely justifiable IMO) decision to put us on "ignore" would somehow mellow everything out, also incorrect; in this case I think I've probably been proved right, too. Actually, prior to DB putting us on ignore, one could argue that we provided a vent for his spleen, which was confined to two easily avoided threads. With us on "ignore", he starts lashing out at everyone else, everywhere.
f) I wanted to confine the mutual insults to one thread. This has, I'm afraid, only been of a limited success.

BTW, like Downer, I don't hate DB - I find him inadvertently amusing and have, usually indirectly, learned quite a lot from him...

Edited for punctuation - probably incorrectly.
Also changed one phrase in a minor fashion in an effort not to offend anyone unnecessarily.
Bloody hell, that's nearly as many edits as Trendmonger!

_________________
"I have learned from my mistakes, and I am sure I can repeat them exactly."


Last edited by Caputh on Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:28 am, edited 4 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:09 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:33 am
Posts: 3525
A rope leash wrote:
So, the old Vauxhall broke down.

No reason to kill yourself...


oh yes there is, 'cause I am stuck here!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:15 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:35 am
Posts: 413
As George Carlin says: "I'm just looking for some good wholesome entertainment."

Ronny's Noomies wrote:
Me? I'd love a praise Ronny thread..... Who do I see about that? :lol:


PRAISE RONNY!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:51 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2003 3:45 am
Posts: 9330
Location: EINDHOVEN
Ronny's Noomies wrote:
Me? I'd love a praise Ronny thread..... Who do I see about that? :lol:


Aw, that reminds me of when Matty started a BBP Is Cute topic. That was sweet. ^_^

_________________
Image
Join the PackardGoose forum! Send me a PM!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:54 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:19 am
Posts: 4726
Location: in deepest, darkest Germany
Praise Ronny for being Ronny
Praise brainpang for not being a suicide chump
Praise tiboudre for being polite
Praise BBP for being cute

Here endeth the lesson...

_________________
"I have learned from my mistakes, and I am sure I can repeat them exactly."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:36 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:04 pm
Posts: 2817
Location: Chicago, sort of.
Awww... I love you guys!

_________________
Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:57 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:58 pm
Posts: 13138
Location: Home of The Mondavi Center.
Ronny's Noomies wrote:
Awww... I love you guys!

Well shucks, we love you to Ronnie. All praise to the great Noomies!

_________________
I'm getting larger as I walk away.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:27 pm
Posts: 5675
Location: echoing through the canyons of your mind
Caputh wrote:
Praise Ronny for being Ronny
Praise brainpang for not being a suicide chump
Praise tiboudre for being polite
Praise BBP for being cute


I agree all of the above, but in addition to being cute, feel that BBP also particularly deserves special recognition for being pretty much the lone female here who posts with regularity for putting up with all the of guys and being able to hang with the dudes so-to-speak.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:48 pm
Posts: 19335
Location: Somewhere in time
You came you read youe typed you conquered, good for you... :smoke:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:50 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:33 am
Posts: 3525
dang it, no response to Caputh's thorough analysis? Is it OVER?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:49 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:27 pm
Posts: 5675
Location: echoing through the canyons of your mind
Right on Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2003 3:45 am
Posts: 9330
Location: EINDHOVEN
Aw, thanks Caputh!

_________________
Image
Join the PackardGoose forum! Send me a PM!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:48 pm
Posts: 19335
Location: Somewhere in time
Praise the Lord...we are free at last... :smoke:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:17 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:33 pm
Posts: 671
Location: Puisard Radioactif
SPACEBROTHER wrote:
Caputh wrote:
Praise Ronny for being Ronny
Praise brainpang for not being a suicide chump
Praise tiboudre for being polite
Praise BBP for being cute


I agree all of the above, but in addition to being cute, feel that BBP also particularly deserves special recognition for being pretty much the lone female here who posts with regularity for putting up with all the of guys and being able to hang with the dudes so-to-speak.
Yep she's a perfect wife for any Zappa fans like us :)

_________________
Je suis désolé pour les roles que j'ai joué dans toutes ces videos, ce n'est pas tres valorisant pour l'humanité mais si cela peu avoir fait progresser la science, alors il y aura eu un coté positif.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:15 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2003 2:41 pm
Posts: 14814
If you people only knew how many felonies Noomies had committed you wouldn't be in his corner. And Bonny? I can't even go into it for fear of going missing someday.

_________________
One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:19 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:48 pm
Posts: 19335
Location: Somewhere in time
calvin2hikers wrote:
If you people only knew how many felonies Noomies had committed you wouldn't be in his corner. And Bonny? I can't even go into it for fear of going missing someday.



She'll put you in some Wood shoes and throw you in the East River... :smoke:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:18 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2003 3:45 am
Posts: 9330
Location: EINDHOVEN
Thanks guys, that's sweet!

There's really one main discrepancy between people that digs more chasms than Trendmonger, Isaac, JPFunk, Zombie, Disco Boy and all those people ever did: some people are entertained by them and others are most definitely not amused by them. I don't appreciate reading Trendmonger's rants, Isaac's whining or JPFunk's cursing or all that political crap. That's OK: if people are continuously annoying, I just put them on ignore.

What does make it annoying is that some people just can't get enough of behaviour of this trolling and continue to stir it up whenever they can: and that's what gets in the way. Because it haunts perfectly good topics. Forget about keeping in touch with actual news on the Breaking News topic or hearing Roxy discussions on Roxy. If you appreciate Disco Boy's trolling, that's fine, but please put it in a shielded area. Those childish arguments spread like gangrene.

_________________
Image
Join the PackardGoose forum! Send me a PM!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2003 2:41 pm
Posts: 14814
Plook wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:
If you people only knew how many felonies Noomies had committed you wouldn't be in his corner. And Bonny? I can't even go into it for fear of going missing someday.



She'll put you in some Wood shoes and throw you in the East River... :smoke:


No she won't, one of her lower level thugs will take me and......

Umm, how about this weather? Hotter than hell.

_________________
One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 356 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 15  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group