Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:53 pm 

C'mon guys whatever happened to all the fun in the world? Post your good news here!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:59 pm 

I'm on vacation this week. Yes!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:38 pm 

Hold yourself in abeyance, Aspy. Something will happen that's fun! (I say in blind, unsubstantiated faith.) :roll:

--Bat :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:43 pm 

Hurrah!! Good news already posted. Have a good one cal! :)
Thanks Battski... 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:37 am 

If we are talking world affairs, unfortunatley it is hard to find a good news on the papers today (something will come up, sooner or later).

If we're talking personal happy news, well I just got a temporary job as a Federal University professor :wink: (hum, the pumpkins are back too, good news)...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:06 am 

We're talking ANY good news here, but please, no mention of any bad! It simply is not allowed - heh!
There are some good news stories in the world, ya just have to look for them. Take this one for example...safe and well and back where she belongs..
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/kent/5227720.stm

Well done on getting your job, the boy did good. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:24 am 

I see light at the end of the tunnel and this time its NOT an approaching train. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:00 am 

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:53 am 

I found an old album that I love to death...the first one that I ever got, in fact.

I've been afraid to listen to it, because I was afraid that it would not be as good as I remember and I'd taint my great memories.

Listening to it now, it's of such high quality that I wept. Wow, I really missed this album.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:02 am 

FeralCats wrote:
I found an old album that I love to death...the first one that I ever got, in fact.

I've been afraid to listen to it, because I was afraid that it would not be as good as I remember and I'd taint my great memories.

Listening to it now, it's of such high quality that I wept. Wow, I really missed this album.

Wow, that is good news feral, I love it when that happens. The feeling is like no other! Go on what one was it???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:27 am 

Ha...it was actually a video game soundtrack :oops:

It's from a game called Chrono Cross. When I was young, I had no idea that music other than Britney Spears and N*Sync even existed..so when I played that game, it's music really jumped out at me. Like , 'Holy shit! Can you really do this with music?'

Looking back, it's rather strange for a game score..most scores try to be exactly like movie scores, or pop albums. Very dramatic, high energy stuff.
Here, however, it's very laid back, and has a ethnic music influence which is very singular to him. Fado guitars, Gamelan orchestras, Sitar...it's all here in this music. (Most gamers hate this score. It's actually sort of difficult to get into...I always did have weird taste.)

I looked into the composer recently...Yasunori Mitsuda. He apparently got inspired to write music at a Mothers of Invention concert. :shock: :shock:

It's shocking seeing so many things I loved when I was younger being influenced by Zappa..

I've sorta moved away from game soundtracks..so I was afraid to listen to this one again. I really do reccomend it. It's really amazing to see him work so many genres and create some really emotional music. Fantastic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:41 am 

Oh yeah...one of the characters in that game is named 'Zappa', as well..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:48 am 

FeralCats wrote:
Ha...it was actually a video game soundtrack :oops:

It's from a game called Chrono Cross. When I was young, I had no idea that music other than Britney Spears and N*Sync even existed..so when I played that game, it's music really jumped out at me. Like , 'Holy shit! Can you really do this with music?'

Looking back, it's rather strange for a game score..most scores try to be exactly like movie scores, or pop albums. Very dramatic, high energy stuff.
Here, however, it's very laid back, and has a ethnic music influence which is very singular to him. Fado guitars, Gamelan orchestras, Sitar...it's all here in this music. (Most gamers hate this score. It's actually sort of difficult to get into...I always did have weird taste.)

I looked into the composer recently...Yasunori Mitsuda. He apparently got inspired to write music at a Mothers of Invention concert. :shock: :shock:

It's shocking seeing so many things I loved when I was younger being influenced by Zappa..

I've sorta moved away from game soundtracks..so I was afraid to listen to this one again. I really do reccomend it. It's really amazing to see him work so many genres and create some really emotional music. Fantastic.

It's an amazing feeling when you discover something like that, at a young age that just blows your mind. I remember that feeling as a kid, musta been about 11 discovering all this amazing music in my Dads record collection. Im glad I went rooting round his albums!
Then came the discovery of Zappa! How amazing, but everyone here knows that feeling!
I'll have to have a listen to some of the stuff you mentioned there, might see what I can get hold of. Nothing like music to stir your emotions! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:08 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:22 am 

Flatty, that is the best possible news I could have heard today. I was feeling a little down earlier too, you perked me right up with that bulletin! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:29 am 

Flatulus wrote:

Yeah, and the fire was at the White House, lol!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:50 am 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
If we're talking personal happy news, well I just got a temporary job as a Federal University professor :wink: (hum, the pumpkins are back too, good news)...
That's cool, man. Congratulations.

I've got a new job as well, as software engineer and developer starting next week. I'm looking forward to it, got kind of bored with my old job so it's nice to be 'moving up'. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:36 am 

Studebaker wrote:
That's cool, man. Congratulations.

I've got a new job as well, as software engineer and developer starting next week. I'm looking forward to it, got kind of bored with my old job so it's nice to be 'moving up'. :)

Congratulations Stude, hope you'll have fun doing that. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:19 am 

Studebaker wrote:

Thanks, congrats to you too!

Aspy (oh, btw, thanks you too), I've been trying hard to find a happy piece of news in the world section, but without success so far... I'll keep insisting...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:45 pm 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
Studebaker wrote:

Thanks, congrats to you too!

Aspy (oh, btw, thanks you too), I've been trying hard to find a happy piece of news in the world section, but without success so far... I'll keep insisting...

Awww good on yer for trying! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:57 pm 

would it have been mean to post Top Of The Pops dying a limp death in this thread?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 1:09 pm 

Nope, it would have been rather appropriate. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:11 pm 

what's good news to some people is bad news to another so ok,
the news is:
more than 2,500,000 people did a mitting at the mexico city
center to support the candidate Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador,
who supposedly loose for only 0.6% of the votes but we know it was
a fraud, so the good news is:
half of the population in mexico know the actual goverment is a shit
and their party and sort of bad nwes is, more than half of the other half, voted, same as the US people, 'cause of the fear done by the lies of a media campaign of the governing party, who supposedly won by the so named 0.6%, the national action party is just the same as
the institution revolution party who did fraudulent elections
and won for 70 years, in what was called by the chinese as
the perfect dictature,
now if a mitting in only one city in favor of counting the votes one by one
'cause we don't want the "winner" candidate, had more than 2,500,000,
what could happen if there are mittings in all the 32 states of the mexican republic?
other good news is that we're questioning the real value of a vote emited
by an ignorant media idiotized person who doesn't have a fucking clue about politics or what their desition is gonna affect everyone, but they are also tax paying people who have ther right to vote whatever they want,
so the precedent would be to legislate the media campaigns so they are not managed like in US where the candidates play baseball to gain addepts wich is totally stupid and have nothing to do with the economics or politics of a nation, or to say stupid moralistic religious influenced lies
or to say people that if they vote to the "other candidate" they will loose their houses

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:47 pm 

Glaxo has bird flu 'breakthrough'

UK drugs firm GlaxoSmithKline believes it has developed a vaccine for the H5N1 deadly strain of bird flu that may be capable of being mass produced by 2007.

The vaccine has proved effective at two doses of 3.8 micrograms during clinical trials in Belgium, BBC business editor Robert Peston has learned.

It is the size of the dose that is highly significant, Glaxo explained.

Firms want the smallest effective dose so that they can get the maximum number of shots out of a quantity of vaccine.

"It is good news that this vaccine can produce a significant response from a relatively small dose," said Dr Donald Cutler, principal lecturer in infectious diseases at University of East London.

Glaxo has yet to publish the results of its tests.

The news of the work on a potential vaccine came as Glaxo reported its profits had risen 14% in the three months to June to £1.32bn (US$2.4bn).

Delivery

Glaxo said that governments could order the vaccine for delivery and stockpiling in early 2007.

All being well, we expect to make regulatory filings for the vaccine in the coming months
Glaxo chief executive Jean-Pierre Garnier

One of Glaxo's main rivals, the French drug company Sanofi Aventis, has also been working on a vaccine.

Drug companies are looking to develop treatments because of concerns that the H5N1 virus will combine with a human flu virus and mutate into a form which can spread between humans.

But a number of firms, including Glaxo, are seeking to develop vaccines based on the existing H5N1 strains to give humans some form of protection.

Its vaccine is on a fast track for approval with the relevant licensing authorities - the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the European Medicines Evaluation Agency (EMEA).

"All being well, we expect to make regulatory filings for the vaccine in the coming months," said Glaxo chief executive Jean-Pierre Garnier.

Prime desire

The UK and US have both indicated a desire to "prime" their respective populations with an initial inoculation.

Mr Garnier said he recently met US President George W Bush to discuss the vaccination programme.

Following that meeting, Glaxo received $272m (£148m) of funding, earmarked in part to develop new technologies to produce vaccines.

If there was a pandemic outbreak in the early autumn, mass manufacture of Glaxo's vaccine could probably be started quickly by collaborating with rival *SPAM* companies.

Glaxo said it was also talking to the Gates Foundation about how to provide the vaccine to poorer, developing countries.

Shotgun effect

Despite the company's optimism, a number of unanswered questions remain.

Firstly, there is uncertainty over how many doses can be manufactured quickly, and how easy it would be to switch from laboratory testing to mass production.

And secondly, it is not clear how effective the vaccination would be if H5N1 were to mutate significantly.

Glaxo says its vaccine is more akin to shotgun treatment than a "precision-rifle cure", which means that it appears to be effective against small mutations in the virus strain.

Glaxo said the cost of the vaccine is likely to be a little more than for conventional flu vaccines, which retail for about £4 per shot.

"The vaccine is an affordable option ahead of a pandemic emerging," said Ian Jones Virology professor at Reading University.

According to Glaxo, the side effects to its bird flu vaccine have been limited to a fever in a number of patients.

Story from BBC NEWS:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/business/5214776.stm
(well that was a sorta good news, and I presented it in a way that hopefully will not offend anyone, or break any established "copyrights" at the site)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:36 pm 

HJ wrote:
Glaxo has bird flu 'breakthrough'

UK drugs firm GlaxoSmithKline believes it has developed a vaccine for the H5N1 deadly strain of bird flu that may be capable of being mass produced by 2007.

I guess that is excelent news, for Glaxo most of all...