Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:46 am 

How do you go about obtaining your income?

I am sure this has been discussed here numerous times.
Let us discuss it again. In a 3 part breakdown.

- what?
- for how long?
- opinions upon?

I have nothing to bring to the table just yet.
But perhaps one day... I will make this thread shine like oiled aluminum foil.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:46 am 

I am the receiving department for one of the plants of a major rubber manufacturing company{no, that is not condoms}. I would prefer to keep the name off here for reasons I've already stated. I spend a lot of time on a fork lift. We manufacture rubber that is processed into strip or slab form depending on customer's specifications. It then goes to the customer, where they extrude or mold a part from it. One example would be that we make the raw rubber that is used to make the seals for submarine hatches, and most of the rubber that make your car parts such as rubber belts and hoses.

I have been there 15 and a half years.

It sucks, but it pays well in the wage structure for this area of the country. See picture to the left for further clarification.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:50 am 

Philostopher wrote:
See picture to the left for further clarification.

Haha, I almost asked if that was the case.

I had 13+ years in cemetery employment, up until "micro managing" stepped in.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:17 am 

I've talked about my work a little elsewhere on the forum but will expand some here. Like Philostopher I don't want to get too specific about what or where I do these things. Anyways, I am in the Parks and Recreation field with a position somewhat similar to the one that Amy Poehler's character has on the TV show. I've been in the field (at a few different places) since the late '80's. I don't make a lot of money (think school teacher type salary) but I have good benefits. It's been a pretty good career overall.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:53 pm 

KUIII wrote:
I've talked about my work a little elsewhere on the forum but will expand some here. Like Philostopher I don't want to get too specific about what or where I do these things. Anyways, I am in the Parks and Recreation field with a position somewhat similar to the one that Amy Poehler's character has on the TV show. I've been in the field (at a few different places) since the late '80's. I don't make a lot of money (think school teacher type salary) but I have good benefits. It's been a pretty good career overall.

If you're happy at it, that's half the battle. I could survive on much less money than this, and be happier with what I was doing. But, I have a son to support. He is more important to me than my happiness at work. I would do whatever the fuck it takes to give him a decent life.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:23 pm 

As you all know I'm an open book and probably most of you already have heard me drone on enough about my work so I will keep it simple:

Telecommunications - Currently in Quality Control for wireless, the company I work for makes the switching equipment that makes all the magic happen on mobile devices as well as Radio Site equipment, every carrier company is our customer. Our shit works good if your having trouble its your carrier who is screwing up. Before this I managed Installation and before that I installed equipment primarily for the internet backbone which is almost entirely held by AT&T and Verizon in the US.

16 years in this field, almost 20 in construction (mostly supermarkets and large structures, but I also did some custom homes), also some manufacturing of fishing jigs off and on for 8 years (which included smelting metal, spin casting, Heliarc welding, polish & finish, and airbrushing), I manufactured and installed rolling shutters for 2 years (the Europeans will know what I am talking about), I was a shipwright for 4 years in a shipyard (I have worked hundreds of feet in the air with no safety harness), I designed and built a skate park when I was 18, and have been an on again off again artist (yes I have made some money doing it) specializing in airbrush on glass.

I like what I do and for the most part have enjoyed most of my jobs, most of my troubles at various jobs have been related to crappy management or owners, when I was boss I tried hard not to be a dick.

On a side note when I first hooked up with Terri and I wanted to get a permanent stable job, there was an opening at a machine shop and a lot of people were trying to get the job. It was a great position at a solid union shop…I jumped through hoops, fought like hell, and got it.

I started on a Monday and worked on a drill press until the first break came, I had been watching and observing everyone performing their tasks and I realized that for me to work there would be like caging a hawk. I knew it would break me and I went to the boss and said I can’t do this better I tell you now than wait a week or a month and I quit.

That was the short version… :smoke:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:15 pm 

I didn't know about the artist part Plook. Maybe I'll commission a piece from you someday. Something Zappa related, of course.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:06 pm 

I work for an insurance brokerage firm in the employee benefits practice. My job title is Administrative Operations Leader which means, along with my co-leader, we are responsible for the administrative staff of our entire practice in the U.S. Hiring, firing, training, coaching, mentoring and managing a staff of 80+. I have 4 managers who work under and report directly to me and also a staff of 8 administrators who report directly to me. (copied and pasted from the other thread :P ).

I've been there for 11 years. I have a nice office in downtown LA that has really great views.

I really like my job. Most of the time...

Yes, I'm goin' to the love-in to sit & play
my bongos in the dirt.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:30 am 

I'm an industrial engineer working in healthcare in Atlantic Canada. I've been doing this for almost four years. I do what you would call 'continuous improvement' or 'process improvement' (lean / six sigma / etc.) projects throughout our portfolio. Once I finish a project, I move on to something else, so the work is never repetitive nor stagnant. Because of this and the fact that in small ways I'm helping patients, makes my job quite enjoyable.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:35 pm 

I work with genes, trying to figure ways to keep the environment green. I shit you not...