Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Reversing Franks Lyrics
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 3:33 am 

That was an interesting Stairway reversal thread...it gave me the idea that this forum might make a good repository to hold unreversed versions of Franks reversed lyrics.<br><br>Here is the first one that came to mind. it's from WOIIFTM where Madge is having problems with that oh so beastly Harry, (right after the line "Harry, get back").<br><br>It reverses to the words "Don't __ in me, in me. Don't ___ in me, in me.   There is a cut in the waveform where the blank so it's my GUESS that the cut out word was "cum" because of what is happening to Madge at the time, and the context of the sentence...but that's my personal guess at a cut in the reversed waveform. The cut can be heard on the first iteration of the lyric.<br><br>Here's the reversed version:<br><br>http://www.znakomi.com/zappaforum/2004/revHarrybeastampl.mp3<br><br>I can do a better job on this take, I'll fix it later, I gotta get my butt to work.<br><br>If you guys can think of more songs with reversed lyrics, please post them here and I'll unreverse them(:<br><br><br>

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 4:00 am 

The above is taken from a release of vinyl after the Beatles threatened to sue for the cover. I'm very not sure about this, but I think there is something scarce about this vinyl pressing, it's MGS- 1250-REV F . It was my second copy that i got a million years ago. I don't know the story, but someone told me the F revision was scarce because of censoring. If anyone knows anything on this, I'd love to find out. (lol, maybe it's the one with the reversed lyrics, hahaha).<br><br>Ronnie...on the CD does the word "cum" exist, or is it a break in the sentence like in the above?    Also, are there any backwards lyrics on the CD?<br>

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 5:07 am 

If you listen to WOIIFTHM track 10 entitled Hot Poop (side 1) there is a reversed line which is quite clearley from Mother People.<br><br>If you own Mothermania: The Best of the Mothers of Invention(Verve record number SVLP.9239)<br> Mother People (track 2 side 1) on that album contains the unreversed line and it goes like this.............<br><br>"Better look around before you say you dont care,<br>Shut your fuckin mouth about the length of my hair,<br>How would you survive , if you were alive, shitty little person"<br><br>It would appear that when Tom Wilson and FZ wer compiling this album Frank managed to slip the uncensored version in and nobody noticed.  8) 8)<br><br>

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 5:10 am 

[quote author=jimmie d link=board=general;num=1078925585;start=0#3 date=03/10/04 at 06:56:31][center]http://w1.858.telia.com/~u85821131/vinylvscds/money.html[/center][/quote]<br><br>AWWW jimmie_d you beat me to it!!!!!! ;D<br>

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 5:17 am 

[quote author=jimmie d link=board=general;num=1078925585;start=0#6 date=03/10/04 at 07:14:45]<br>[center]<br>I gave you a full 56 minutes. You had your chance!<br><br> ;D[/center][/quote]<br><br>To busy cecking my sources  ;D :(<br>

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 9:53 am 

[center]
Quote:
Along with "The Idiot Bastard Son," "Harry, You're a Beast" is the song from the 1968 LP We're Only in It for the Money which enjoyed the most exposure during Frank Zappa's career. The funny thing is: It was never performed live the way it was presented on the studio album. The 1968 studio "Harry" is a song with lyrics, Zappa's first charge on women (there will also be plenty on men). "American womanhood" is described as "Phony on top/Phony underneath." "You paint your head/Your mind is dead," states the singer before Harry and his lady engage in physical intercourse. On the original LP, the last chorus was censored, so the line "Don't come in me" played backwards. The 1986 Ryko CD reissue featured the uncensored version (but with re-recorded bass and drums). Later reissues reverted to the original mix. On-stage, "Harry, You're a Beast" was a different thing. An instrumental piece, it kept the same melody and sped up the tempo, but most importantly it was always performed as part of a medley including "The Orange County Lumber" and similarly altered versions of "Let's Make the Water Turn Black" and "Oh No." All these instrumental pieces share the same tempo, key, and overall frame of a detailed melodic line (played by the saxophones) over a straightforward rhythm pattern. In the case of "Harry, You're a Beast," the last motif of the piece is also stated in "The Orange County Lumber Truck," which allowed a seamless segue live. "Harry, You're a Beast" was performed as part of the instrumental medley by the original Mothers in 1968-1969, and later by Zappa's 1974 and 1988 bands. The complete 1968 medley is featured on Ahead of Their Time, while its 1988 version appears on Make a Jazz Noise Here (it also includes the "Theme From Lumpy Gravy," aka "Duodenum"). The medley remains a regular inclusion for both cover bands and contemporary classical ensembles. — Francois Couture
[/center]<br><br>From allmusic.com.<br><br> -/dr_grogg<br><br>

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 12:54 pm 

Awesome(: After 35 years to unlock some secrets off the vinyl. Thanks for the link Jimmy d, I also found more info here, where Revision F is mentioned.<br><br>http://www.arf.ru/Notes/Woiftm/pcorp.html<br><br>I want to look into this more, but at first glance it seems that the vinyl releases came from two camps.<br>The first release had several revisions of varying levels of decreasing censorship, with revision F being the last of this first batch. Revision F seems to be the MOST complete of any vinyl release (though I'm pretty sure not the most rare).<br>The second release was more heavily censored than any other revision on vinyl, a lot of stuff is missing from this second release, (it's all on F, if not on CD and anyone wants to hear these clips, I could cut them out, just ask).<br><br>Below are the notes from the web page Jimmy d posted, Revision F is at the end of the first catagory as it exhibits the described censorship, (although the word "come" is also removed from the reversed part as heard in the mp3 above, maybe a quirk of F?    Is "come" on any of the CD's?).<br><br>This controversial album was subject to some censorship when it came out. Later, another version came out, which was even more censored. The first version was censored in the following ways: <br><br>"Harry, You're a Beast" - the "Don't come in me, in me" section was "partially forwards, partially backwards, and shuffled as well". [01:06-01:13] <br>"Mother People" - the lines "Better look around before you say you don't care, / Shut your fuckin' mouth about the length of my hair, / How would you survive / If you were alive, / Shitty little person?" were cut out, and replaced with "Lemme take a minute and tell you my plan, / Lemme take a minute and tell who I am, / If it doesn't show, / Think you'd better know, / I'm another person", taken from earlier in the song. [This happens at 00:58-01:03.] (However, the cut lines were on the record, backwards, at the end of side one, in a track called "Hot Poop", but if you reverse the reversed version back and listen to it, you'll find that even there, the word "fuckin'" has been edited out.) <br>"Concentration Moon" - the line "Also, at the same time, I get to work with the Velvet Underground, which is as shitty a group as Frank Zappa's group" was cut from Gary Kellgren's whispering [01:13]. <br><br><br>The second was censored in these ways also: <br><br>"Who Needs the Peace Corps?" - the "kick the shit out of me on the street" bit was censored. <br>"Absolutely Free" - the word "balling" was censored from "I won't do publicity balling for you anymore". <br>"Absolutely Free" - the words "flower power sucks" were cut (although, the echoes of the word "sucks" can still be heard under the ensuing verse). <br>"Let's Make the Water Turn Black" - the lines "And I still remember Mama with her apron and her pads / Feeding all the boys at Ed's Cafe" were inexplicably cut out. Zappa offered the explanation that someone thought the word "pad" referred to a "sanitary napkin". <br>"Hot Poop" - the backwards "Mother People" verse was cut, so that "Hot Poop" was reduced to Gary Kellgren's whispering and a snork."<br><br><br>OK, now for the fun part for all the vinyl fans, here's Hot Poop reversed from the vinyl (Rev F), at least to me, heard first tonight after 35 years, (do these words exactlyt appear on the CD-is the word "fuck" on the CD?):<br><br>Hot Poop excerpt forward, as it appears on revision F, (and maybe some others):<br><br>http://www.znakomi.com/zappaforum/2004/hotpooponvinyl.mp3<br><br>And here it is unlocked from the censors, as I believe it does not exist on any vinyl, (is this on the CD's as a regular verse in the song?):<br><br>http://www.znakomi.com/zappaforum/2004/revhotpooponvinyl.mp3<br><br><br><br><br><br>

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 4:10 pm 

One of the revisions from the first pressing is worth big bucks, I'm not sure which one yet. The rev # is written in the vinyl.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 4:22 pm 

Lol, that means for most (but not all), of the CD people, the backwards samples of the two passages in the above posts are new. That's interesting. (actually the whole damn album was groundbreaking, nothing like that ever existed before).<br><br>Lol, also I remember Connecticut banned "Wouldn't it be Nice" statewide, the whole song, because of:<br>"And we could say good night and stay together" even though the people in the song were married.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 4:28 pm 

lol, learned what poots were today too((:<br><br>"Ronnie helping Kenny<br>helping burn his poots away."<br>  <br><br><br>  'Poots' are more commonly called 'farts', and are reputed to produce a green flame when ignited.  <br><br><br>  The process known as pyroflatulation.  <br><br><br>  Fartuous info: They burn with a nice orange flame, but are difficult to light unless you use a diffusor (ie underpants) . This also prevents brush fires starting in tender places!  <br>    <br>

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 3:09 am 

[quote author=imisshimbad ] <br><br>And here it is unlocked from the censors, as I believe it does not exist on any vinyl, (is this on the CD's as a regular verse in the song?):<br><br>http://www.znakomi.com/zappaforum/2004/revhotpooponvinyl.mp3 [/quote]<br><br>I've got the uncensored version on a vinyl platter. I'ts called Mothermania:The Best of the Mothers of Invention its on the Verve label and its record number is SVLP.9239 . The matrix number(the blank lead out bit at the end of a record) is V 6 5068 3 1 G. The cover is group photo of the Mothers and ther is the Bizarre logo and Verve logo on the right hand side. <br><br>Maybe this was just  UK issue LP because on the back cover it does say MGM Records Ltd, London England, whilst the record label states 'sold in UK subject to resale price conditions, see price list' <br><br>Apologies for not making my self clear that this is a vinyl record and not one of those round silver shiney things :D<br><br>If any bodys interested the track listing is:<br>Side 1:<br>Brown shoes dont make it<br>Mother people<br>Duke of Prunes<br>Call any Vegetable<br>The Idiot Bastard Son<br><br>Side 2<br>It cant happen here<br>You're probably wondering why I'm here<br>Who are the Brain Police<br>Plastic People<br>Hungry Freaks Daddy<br>America drinks and goes home.<br><br>Unfortunately theres no date on the album but to give you a clue it advertises on the back in picture form Freak Out, Absolutely Free, WOIIFTM, Lumpy Gravy, Cruisin with Ruben and the Jets  <br><br>When I get around to it I'll photo it (it wont fit in my scanner) and then post here.<br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 4:08 am 

[quote author=MICRODOT link=board=general;num=1078925585;start=15#17 date=03/11/04 at 05:09:47]<br><br>I've got the uncensored version on a vinyl platter. I'ts called Mothermania:The Best of the Mothers of Invention its on the Verve label and its record number is SVLP.9239 . The matrix number(the blank lead out bit at the end of a record) is V 6 5068 3 1 G. The cover is group photo of the Mothers and ther is the Bizarre logo and Verve logo on the right hand side. <br><br>Maybe this was just  UK issue LP because on the back cover it does say MGM Records Ltd, London England, whilst the record label states 'sold in UK subject to resale price conditions, see price list' <br><br>Apologies for not making my self clear that this is a vinyl record and not one of those round silver shiney things :D<br>...((track listings above)...<br>Unfortunately theres no date on the album but to give you a clue it advertises on the back in picture form Freak Out, Absolutely Free, WOIIFTM, Lumpy Gravy, Cruisin with Ruben and the Jets  <br><br>When I get around to it I'll photo it (it wont fit in my scanner) and then post here.<br>[/quote]<br><br>Thanks for jogging these dead brain cells MICRODOT. Great googoly moogoly I KNEW i hear dhtat "shitty little person' line somewhere before...i thought it was in my imaginary vocals from practicing out of the "Frank Zappa Guitar Book" in 1971 because those words were under the music. NOW I know where I heard them! it aine alzheimers yet, lol!<br><br>Great catch!<br><br>Save ya the scan, from the ole music library:<br>Image<br><br>Image<br><br>Lol, for shits and giggles, here's another less known MGM release:<br>Image<br><br>Don't see much of the MOI on these colors in the states:<br>Image

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 4:25 am 

Glad to be of service ol chap!!!!! ;D<br><br>I did notice that the record number is different on the Mothermania pic you posted (good god I'm a sad sad person  :P :P)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 9:20 am 

[quote author=LumpyGravy link=board=general;num=1078925585;start=15#15 date=03/11/04 at 04:55:56]<br><br>And when the Rolling Stones appeared on the Ed Sullivan Show for the first time, they couldn't sing "Let's Spend the Night Together", they had to change it to "Let's Spend Some Time Together"...<br><br> ;D[/quote]<br><br><br>Lol, that's funny...<br><br>Let's spend some time together,<br>have some pop-si-cles together.<br>Let's spend some time together,<br>now!<br><br>(Ohhhh, I've been workin too hard...)<br><br>(BTW, Microdot, I have that MOI LP as released in April, 1969. I think that's correct).<br><br>

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:22 pm 

Code:
STOOS TOH
STOOR TOH
ZTIZ TOH
STAC TOH
STAR TOH
TAEM TOH

STOOS TOH
STOOR TOH
ZTIR TOH
STAC TOH