Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 9:02 am 

[quote author=CheepnisAroma link=board=general;num=1062036383;start=15#25 date=08/28/03 at 10:59:01]Eugene Chadbourne and Marc Ribot are not even mentioned. Outright pathetic...[/quote]<br><br>Marc Ribot is a god!! how about Bill Frisell??<br>

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 9:06 am 

....fuck all them writers with the pen in their ha-ands.....

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 9:48 am 

To quote a great philosopher: "Rock journalism is people who can not write interviewing people who can not talk for people who can not read."<br><br>If Britney played guitar, she'd be at the top of the list. But who gives a fuck? It's only Rolling Stone. Don't lose any sleep over it.<br><br>Now if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna rush out and buy my own copy of RS so I can bring it home, roll it up and...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 10:20 am 

The concept of Pat Metheny in Rolling Stone reminds me of that old saying about Shakespeare in a football stadium.<br><br>Gone are the days of Hunter Thompson. Nowadays, RS is marketed to those who have gotten too old to read Tiger Beat. Bear in mind that it was founded by a man who left his wife of many years for a male model. So what does that tell you?<br><br>Ye Gods.<br>

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 1:42 pm 

And where's STEVE HACKETT ?<br><br>From what I see, it's a bit 'american flavored' here. B.B.King being number #3 ? C'mon. OK, the guy is a living legend and a heartful living soul, but how could Mr. One-note-a-bar-but-what-a-note-don't-ya-think? make it almost to the top ? And Clapton #4 ? In Cream's days maybe but not anymore. Keith Richards ? I've yet to hear a good solo from him instead of his 5 strings chords.<br><br>And I could go on, and on... That's a very laughable piece of trash they have put out, really ! That alone says a lot about the guys writing that mag.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 8:56 pm 

<br><br><br>                   ::)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 8:02 am 

Hate Fuckin' lists.<br><br>Sure, they MIGHT have LISTENED to MUCH music in their days but they don't give a godamnmotherfuckingassholespankingbarbrastreisand......ah,well.....To what is actually deserved. These are rated after popularity.<br><br>Artistical thingy.....BAH!<br><br> >:( >:( >:( >:(>:( >:( >:( >:(>:( >:( >:( >:(>:( >:( >:( >:(>:( >:( >:( >:(>:( >:( >:( >:(>:( >:( >:( >:(>:( >:( >:( >:(<br> <br><br>  -/dr_grogg

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 12:54 pm 

Here's what FZ had to say about things like this:<br><br>"Rating guitar players is a stupid hobby."

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 3:57 am 

[quote author=suterb link=board=general;num=1062036383;start=30#40 date=08/29/03 at 15:54:30]Here's what FZ had to say about things like this:<br><br>"Rating guitar players is a stupid hobby."[/quote]<br><br>It's a bit like rating 'different kind' of films.<br><br>Is Western really a better film than a Sci-Fi ?     ::)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 4:16 am 

Did they ever hear of ?<br>       <br>        Alain holdsworth<br>        Scott henderson<br> :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( <br><br>Ali farka toure? shure the album he did with Ry cooder was great<br>C'mon !

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 4:49 am 

Fuck Rolling Stone and Fuck Top whatever Lists !!!<br><br>They are so irrelevant and don't mean anything, at least to me..<br><br>The only positive thing is that Frank got mentioned again, something that doesn't happen very often...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 8:32 am 

This is just exactly how they go about doing these lists. It's not about the actual 100 top guitarists, because compiling a list like that would be impossible....what do you go for? Speed, technicality, applying it to the song? Not much thought goes into these lists, they only use it to get people talking about it.....

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 8:43 am 

i think a list of the worst 100 100 lists of things would be entertaining

Shitface
Shitface Music Page

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 9:59 am 

[quote author=jimmie d link=board=general;num=1062036383;start=45#46 date=09/01/03 at 12:51:24]<br>Frank Zappa's top 10 favorite rock music critics.<br><br> 1<br> 2<br> 3<br> 4<br> 5<br> 6<br> 7<br> 8<br> 9<br>10<br>[/quote]<br><br>I heard orville redenbacher was 3'rd on this list<br>

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 2:32 pm 

I have this one list Guitar World magazine did around '97. They didn't make it a Top 100. They just picked 100 names and put them in different categories. A lot of good names (Zappa, Hendrix, Vai) and some unexpected ones (Sonny Sharrock, Richard Thompson, Dick Dale) were on it. It's the best list I've ever seen.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 3:10 pm 

[quote author=SonOfWillieThePimp link=board=general;num=1062036383;start=45#46 date=09/03/03 at 11:27:12]<br>Guitar World is an absolutely amazing magazine, along with Record Collector and Mojo![/quote]<br>Guitar World was an absolutely amazing magazine until they dumbed down and started pandering to the lowest common demoninator by turning into a metal fanzine and removing standard notation from the transcriptions (not that you need to learn how to read music to play the current crap out there that passes for music). I'm a big Ozzy fan, but I don't think he belongs on the cover of a magazine for guitarists. The only time I buy it now is on the rare occasion that there's enough worth reading that I don't have time to finish it in the store.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 3:27 pm 

David Gilmour #82!!!???? ::)<br><br>Those bastards!!!!!! He is an amazing GUITARIST!!! This man has amazing tone & taste!!!! A great guitarist!!!<br><br>

http://http://invisionfree.com/forums/Floydian_Forums/

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 4:01 pm 

Hey, how come Madonna isn't on this list?<br>MADONNA ROCKS, MAN!<br>Image<br>"Everybody in the balcony. I can't hear you! Cat Scratch Fever..."

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 11:14 am 

Here's the GP list I mentioned:<br><br>Founding Fathers:<br>Chet Atkins<br>Chuck Berry<br>Big Bill Broonzy<br>Charlie Christian<br>Dick Dale<br>Bo Diddley<br>Robert Johnson<br>Les Paul<br>Django Reinhardt<br>Andres Segovia<br>Merle Travis<br><br>Fallen Heroes:<br>Duane Allman<br>Kurt Cobain<br>Jimi Hendrix<br>Randy Rhoads<br>Stevie Ray Vaughan<br><br>The British Giants:<br>Jeff Beck<br>Eric Clapton<br>George Harrison & John Lennon<br>Jimmy Page<br>Keith Richards<br>Pete Townshend<br>Nigel Tufnel<br><br>Rockabilly:<br>James Burton<br>Cliff Gallup<br>Scotty Moore<br>Brian Setzer<br><br>Virtuosos:<br>Ritchie Blackmore<br>Al Di Meola<br>Danny Gatton<br>Allan Holdsworth<br>Eric Johnson<br>Yngwie Malmsteen<br>John McLaughlin<br>Steve Morse<br>Uli Jon Roth<br>Joe Satriani<br>Steve Vai<br>Eddie Van Halen<br><br>They Might Be Giants:<br>Trey Anastasio<br>Jerry Cantrell<br>Billy Corgan<br>Dimebag Darrell<br>Charlie Hunter<br>Dave Matthews<br>Tom Morello<br>Kim Thayil<br><br>Lords of Hard Rock:<br>Ace Frehley<br>James Hetfield & Kirk Hammett<br>Tony Iommi<br>Joe Perry & Brad Whitford<br>Slash<br>Angus & Malcolm Young<br><br>Jazzmen:<br>Lenny Breau<br>Freddie Green<br>Jim Hall<br>Pat Metheny<br>Wes Montgomery<br>Johnny Smith<br><br>Progressive Rockers:<br>Robert Fripp<br>David Gilmour<br>Steve Howe<br>Alex Lifeson<br>Brian May<br><br>The Traditionalists:<br>Dickey Betts<br>Peter Buck<br>John Fogerty<br>Roger McGuinn<br>Richard Thompson<br>Neil Young<br><br>The Bluesmen:<br>Reverend Gary Davis<br>Buddy Guy<br>John Lee Hooker<br>Blind Lemon Jefferson<br>Albert King<br>B.B. King<br>Freddie King<br>Hubert Sumlin<br>T-Bone Walker<br>Muddy Waters<br><br>Country Gentlemen:<br>Jimmy Bryant<br>Albert Lee<br>Brent Mason<br>Clarence White<br><br>Space Cadets:<br>Syd Barrett<br>Jerry Garcia<br>Robby Krieger<br>Carlos Santana<br><br>Free Radicals:<br>The Edge<br>Thurston Moore & Lee Ranaldo<br>Bob Mould<br>Lou Reed<br><br>Visionaries & Madmen:<br>Billy Gibbons<br>Sonny Sharrock<br>Link Wray<br>Frank Zappa<br><br>Punk & Disorderly:<br>Ron Asheton<br>Steve Jones<br>Johnny Ramone<br>Johnny Thunders<br><br>Unplugged Heroes:<br>Michael Hedges<br>Leo Kottke<br>Joni Mitchell<br>John Renbourn<br>Doc Watson<br><br>The Three Funkateers:<br>Steve Cropper<br>Eddie Hazel<br>Jimmy Nolen<br><br>

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next