Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 3:59 am 

[center]Does your significant other like Frank Zappa's music?<br><br>Personally, I have never had a lasting relationship with anyone who doesn't share my passion for FZ. <br>What is your experience?<br>Please share, I'm trying to see if there is a correlation between love of FZ and finding true love.<br><br> ::)daisy::)<br> :D<br>[/center]<br>

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 4:05 am 

My last girlfriend liked "Don't Eat The Yellow Snow", but I never even made an attempt to get her further into Zappa.  That doesn't sound like me.  :P

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 4:51 am 

[quote author=flammaster link=board=general;num=1081259990;start=0#3 date=04/06/04 at 07:30:13]I didn't know anybody liked Zappa until I came here! ;D[/quote]<br><br>you didn't answer the question mr. master...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 5:06 am 

My wife hates Frank's music. This is a problem.<br>But wa are happy together and this is the most important thing.<br>Many years ago I had a girl-friend who loved Zappa. But we were in constant disagreement on every othe subjects.<br>So....<br><br>But some months ago my wife went back home while I was listening to "Twenty Small Cigars". She didn't was Frank Zappa. She said "splendid !". I said "It's Zappa". She maintained her judgement on that song.<br>Then I played some songs from "The Yellow Shark", namely Dog Breath variations, Uncle Meat and Outrage at Valdez, without saying her it was Frank's music.<br>She said: "wonderful !". I said "It's Zappa". She replied "it's wonderful anyway".<br>Last attempt. She went back home while I was listening to "Igor's Boogie". She said" Hmmm....so do you like classic music now ?" I said "It's Zappa". She said: "OK, I can admit it's able to write good music, but I can't stand most of his music".<br><br>It is a small result but a result. Don't you think ? ;D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 5:16 am 

Betsey doesn't really like Zappa too well. I've given her a few tapes (Apostrophe, Hot Rats, Joe's Garage, WOIIFM), but I think she's too used to the pop and country stuff she listens to to really "get" them. Oh well. She makes up for it in many other ways, so I can't complain. ;D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 5:50 am 

My girlfriend is not a Zappa fan. Every once in a while I can get her to semi-enjoy a song or two of his, such as Sofa or Blessed Relief. She knows he's a good musician, but she can dig on it, but we have a very good relationship and it would be silly to break off a good relationship because she doesn't like someone's music. So I'll just keep trying to break her in slowly and find the songs that she likes of his. At least it's something

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 8:32 am 

My current partner is ''Zappa deficient",but very understanding,..so that's cool<br> My last partner dug FZ quite a bit ,.but not a lot,..so that was pretty cool<br> When I was about 20 or so I lived with 3 chicks whom I got into FZ and they in turn got into ME..and that was VERY COOL

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 9:11 am 

[quote author=stride link=board=general;num=1081259990;start=0#9 date=04/06/04 at 11:32:18]When I was about 20 or so I lived with 3 chicks whom I got into FZ and they in turn got into ME..and that was VERY COOL[/quote]<br><br>Don't you mean that you got into them? ;D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 7:33 pm 

My husband thinks Frank Zappa is a "freak" and he thinks the same of ME for liking his Music!   >:(<br><br>[quote author=ZF link=board=general;num=1081259990;start=0#7 date=04/06/04 at 08:42:45]As stated be4 in some other topic, my first husband would only "allow" me to play Apostrophe...needless 2 say, hes not my husband anymore :P[/quote]<br>I CAN'T WAIT until I can post those "he's not my husband anymore" words MYSELF, Sister ZeeFee!  (*hug*)   :-*<br><br>Gypsy Moon Dream<br>

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 12:28 am 

My wife is not interested in FZ at all. Doesn't dislike it, but just not interested. Its her loss - I don't care. My kids (16, 19 & 21) quite like it, but not as much as I do.<br><br><br>

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 12:56 am 

i actually met my wife through frank zappa, even though she didn't realise it at the time.  i was in a nightclub and spotted the woman who was to be my future wife through the hazy smoke with beat laden electronica bumping in my ears.  I went over to her and asked what her name was and she replied that she was a jewish princess.  i took great pleasure in telling her all about this amazing coincidence and my love of zappa (which almost made her run a mile). anyway she finally wore me down and i agreed to go out with her solely on the basis of an abstract FZconnection...she likes sheik yerbouti only...well part of it anyway, that's more than most women i've met however.  ;D

Shitface
Shitface Music Page

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 3:42 am 

In my whole life, I've only had two girlfriends that liked Zappa's music. Neither of them listened to it on their own but would listen if I played it. Of the two, only one of them really "got" it on a musical level, and would actually volunteer insights on why she liked it why it was great. I still miss her.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 4:22 pm 

Thanks to all who replied to my burning question. Although I would prefer that a future boyfriend would share my love for Frank Zappa's music, I think it is unreasonable to make that a prerequisite in my search for true love; if indeed there is such a thing.<br><br>Your input, as always, is much appreciated. <br><br> :-*daisy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 5:47 am 

Yeah, Daisy, that would be limiting your options a lot. However, the good news for you is that it should be easier for a female Zappa fan to find a male Zappa fan than the opposite scenario; female Zappa fans seem to be much more rare, at least in my experience. <br>Myself, I no longer concern myself with finding a life-long soulmate; I'd be happy just to find a new girl that I find to be physically attractive, has a 'spark' for life and who can think. ;)<br>The college I'm going to is FULL of them, but they're a lot younger than me (which is fine with me). Although I have met girls that I've made a connection with, I can't quite bridge the gap. It's like being in my favorite restaurant, being really hungry, but I can't figure out how to get waited on! ;D ;D ;D<br>Ah...springtime. What a great time to be surrounded by 18 to 22 year olds! ;)<br>OK, back to my overload of homework now...finals are coming up. ::) :-/

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 6:37 am 

i know for a fact daisy that there is a certain zappa fan on this forum who thinks you'd be his ideal woman almost....you'll just have to put your thinking cap on...i'm sworn to secrecy

Shitface
Shitface Music Page

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 7:02 am 

[quote author=TheCentralScrutinizer link=board=general;num=1081259990;start=15#20 date=04/11/04 at 09:37:35]i know for a fact daisy that there is a certain zappa fan on this forum who thinks you'd be his ideal woman almost....[/quote]<br><br>hmmm? almost? come on now...scruty! not fair :o<br>

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 7:09 am 

[quote author=TheCentralScrutinizer link=board=general;num=1081259990;start=15#20 date=04/11/04 at 09:37:35]i know for a fact daisy that there is a certain zappa fan on this forum who thinks you'd be his ideal woman almost....you'll just have to put your thinking cap on...i'm sworn to secrecy [/quote]<br>Allright! Now we have something to keep us all occupied for about 3 months!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 7:26 am 

[quote author=ImSoCute link=board=general;num=1081259990;start=15#22 date=04/11/04 at 10:09:03]<br>Allright! Now we have something to keep us all occupied for about 3 months! [/quote]<br>heh, i've already took delivery of what will be keeping me occupied for the next 3 months  :o

Shitface
Shitface Music Page

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 10:33 am 

[quote author=swiftkicknow link=board=general;num=1081259990;start=15#19 date=04/11/04 at 08:47:07]Yeah, Daisy, that would be limiting your options a lot. However, the good news for you is that it should be easier for a female Zappa fan to find a male Zappa fan than the opposite scenario; female Zappa fans seem to be much more rare, at least in my experience. <br>Myself, I no longer concern myself with finding a life-long soulmate; I'd be happy just to find a new girl that I find to be physically attractive, has a 'spark' for life and who can think. ;)<br>;D ;D ;D<br>[/quote]<br><br>You'd think it would be easier, but unfortunately, it hasn't been. As far as a lifelong soulmate goes...the odds are getting better seeing that I am not getting any younger here. <br>It's funny to hear the lyrics to some of FZ's songs...like, "there aint no such thing as love...no angels singing up above today..." and then hear him talk about falling in love with Gail in the first five minutes of knowing her.<br>You know it when it's right and when you are looking, you'll never find it. I think I'll just keep on enjoying my life to the fullest extent possible until that elusive love finds me.<br><br><br>