Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Draft scare
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 5:54 am 

[quote author=arrcee link=board=general;num=1085027194;start=15#22 date=05/21/04 at 07:59:14]If you wanna try to stop this from happening, get off your dead ass and contact your federal representatives RIGHT NOW and express your opinion. Then vote in the next election based on what they end up doing.<br><br><br><br>[/quote]<br>Got that exactly right((: Here's a link if anyone wan't to know how to find their elected officials...<br>http://www.firstgov.gov/Contact/Elected.shtml<br><br>RC wins a beer(:<br><br>Hell, make it a case of Heinie's!<br>

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 6:08 am 

BTW, IMHO, I think the problem of children who pick up guns started way back when they were in the crib. It depends on what kind of parents they were born to. Of course there is a small percentage of genetically challanged kids, but IMHO the vast majority of kids who pick up guns got whacked for peeing their pants when they were 2, (or doing anything else that inconvienienced their parents. There are two worlds that babies can be brought in to.<br><br>Of course this is not 100%, some kids fare better in after surviving abusive or unloving parents...but IMHO, it all has to do with what children learn that the world is.<br><br>In general that is. Also, prisons laws teachers and policemen are heard pressed to undo the damage of what some kids learn the world is >:(

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 6:24 am 

BTW (and not to take this thread off it's main topic, the impending corporate draft), but in my post above i don't mean to say that all kids who get whacked for peeing their pants at 2 pick up guns later, (though vice versa is usually true...IF they had parents in their homes at all), but it IS a ciommonly used indicator to look at the parents of children. It is the charactar of the parent's that is important as a main factor in the character of the child, we learn much (good&bad), from our parents about what the world is. There are many indicators to look at the parent's character, that one is a common one that is used often as a starting place.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 1:20 pm 

Well, if the draft does start back up, and I hope it doesn't, they should start by drafting in mates.  Our prisons are overfilled as it is and people are getting out too early.  Plus, military training could really change the path of some of those folks.  Just a thought.

Post subject: re: draft scare
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 1:59 pm 

voice_of_cheez wrote:
better off going to Toronto...

draft dodgers in toronto took over a college residence [rochdale], turned it into a wholesale dope outlet with rooms unoccupied to stash dope, their own security guards, password etc. sneak in/out the side door ... bom shiva

Last edited by slime.oofytv.set on Sun May 06, 2012 11:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 2:31 pm 

[quote author=Zardoz link=board=general;num=1085027194;start=30#30 date=05/21/04 at 16:34:04]<br>you have to give people respect to earn respect.  8)[/quote]<br><br>Agree 200% ! I'm all for it ! Opinions instead of confrontations ! <br><br>Wisdom comes with age it seems  8)

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 4:07 pm 

Just forget I said anything. Anytime I try and voice my opinon I get attacked.  All I was getting at was that:<br><br>A. Guns seem easy to attain.<br>B. Everyone can be sued for anything at anytime. <br>C. The younger generation seems lost.<br>D. Whoever doesn't like me can bite my ass.  ;D

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 4:22 pm 

Very funny Jimmie.  ;D

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 8:37 pm 

[quote author=Gonzo link=board=general;num=1085027194;start=30#34 date=05/21/04 at 19:07:20]Just forget I said anything. Anytime I try and voice my opinon I get attacked.  All I was getting at was that:<br><br>A. Guns seem easy to attain.<br>B. Everyone can be sued for anything at anytime. <br>C. The younger generation seems lost.<br>D. Whoever doesn't like me can bite my ass.  ;D[/quote]<br><br>I didn't mean to attack you, in fact, I usually agree with the stuff you post here.  I just think that you're judging an entire age group based on a few bad apples who happen to get more exposure than the normal folks.  Referring to all teenagers as Abercrombie punks makes about as much sense as thinking all black men are gang members.

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 1:28 am 

[quote author=Zardoz link=board=general;num=1085027194;start=30#38 date=05/22/04 at 04:17:27]Slime, After reading your post I was remembering the last time I had "Thia Sticks". Which was in the Bay Area in 1975, they seemed to disappear after Vietnam was over. Then I went to search, and dammit I have to make a trip to Amsterdam, appears there still available. Of course I could just go to the source Thialand, I haven't been there since 1972.  8)[/quote]<br>thai stick is pretty common in europe and it's an excellent smoke, i some a few months back ;D

Shitface
Shitface Music Page

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 1:44 am 

[quote author=Zardoz link=board=general;num=1085027194;start=30#41 date=05/22/04 at 04:39:42]<br><br>Dammit lucky you. we have some pretty good reefer here, I can't smoke often, work and testing. My friend keeps me supplied with the best. Figured if your going to take a chance it better be for something worth while.  ;D 8)<br>[/quote]<br>your work does dope tests??? they're starting to do that in some places over here now...i think it's a disgrace

Shitface
Shitface Music Page

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 3:48 am 

[quote author=Zardoz link=board=general;num=1085027194;start=30#40 date=05/22/04 at 04:28:53]<br>Young people were more involved with political and social issues. We were more aware of our surroundings then they are today. There was a unity that had a bond that was both intense and innocent at the same time. Now I'll wait for people to jump all over my shit.  ;D 8)<br>[/quote]<br><br>I have been thinking about the draft, and how we were in 1970. You're right, when the voting age was 21 then, but you could be drafted at 18, there was a big incentive to get the right to vote, (which we did). Now the draft is gone, and we've dropped down (from 70% but don't quote me), to 29% of people under 21 vote, (and kudo's to all who do). I have to wonder if bringing back the draft will cause more 18 year old's to vote, (it's their ass that's on the line).<br>I miss the glue that held us together back then, it seemed like something that could never leave the upcoming generations of youth. i was listening to a Starship song about "Get out of the way, we're coming, and we're new".<br>And now for the real guestion, have we done any better than our parents? Have some of us BECOME our parents?<br><br>And I do want to respond to you're "give me a break" quote. maybe you missed parts of my point about nature and nurture. i wouldnt say in a specific case a general rule, (such as good parents are important), must apply to that specific case. I also doubt the colombine shooter was thinging about his parent's when he was shooting. Rather, in my post I was speaking in general about kids with guns, kids in gangs with guns. I think home life has a lot to do with kids joining gangs, i think gangs offer things to kids that they don't get at home. Also, kids, (very very young, even before talking), learn a lot about the world from their parents, (who else could we learn about the world from as infants).<br>To me, there is nature and nurture only, the physical and the psychological. To me it can only be nature or nurture because  I don't believe in evil as a "supernatural world of evil spirits trying to steal souls", therefore,  I'm left with only nature or nurture. What else is there?<br>Sometimes in extreme cases, otherwise balanced people do wildly crazy things. Sometimes it's genetic, a seizure which can be physically seen in a PET scan causes a person to experience rage, but when you ask them why, they cant give you a reason...they just were in a rage(a physical sezure). A small percentage (possibly larger in some dramatic offenders), of folks experience this.<br>But with the choices of nature(the physical), nurture(the psychologiacl), and evil spirits, I'll go with nature and nurture, and throw out the evil spirits. I honestly don't know what other causes there could be.<br>In specific cases such as Columbine, it's impossible to say without a detailed look at the specific case.<br>The point I was making with kids with guns, is between nature and nurture, i have to pick nurture in general in a larger percentage of cases, rather than to believe that such a large population of kids concentrated in inner cities (where a large percentage of gang activity is), have such a high percentage of  physically malformed brains. The statistics don't support such a theory.<br>Outside of nature or nurture, what else is there?<br>If it's something besides the physical, or psychological, I'm open to any suggestions.<br>

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 6:02 am 

Ya know, what you just wrote brings to mind a guestion. Here's what you wrote:<br>"Kids now a days have to much unsupervised time "Latch Key Kids". The home structure isn't there anymore in a lot of cases." <br>What that made me begin to wonder is when you and I were young pups, most families had the father that worked at a job, and the mother worked at home taking care of the kids.<br>In the new economy, it takes pretty much BOTH the mom and dad's income just to get by. I wonder if that's increased latch-key-kids, (it must have, i only had one friend who's mom worked), and what impact that has had on the kids.<br>One income used to be enough, and now even though productivity has increased year on year, and two wage earners are in the household nowadays, the rich have kept the difference so now it takes two incomes, and both parent's are gone in the day.<br><br>Agreed, it is REAL hard to understand why some people do what they do. We try to understand such things coming from our own experience, our own view of the world... but that never include such anti-social acts. Getting picked on may be a trigger, but the gun is already loaded in these kids brains I think.<br><br>Lol, a note on the hair, I noticed this again the other day...<br>Back when we were in group C, we were the only men with long hair, older men (lol, 50+), pretty much had short hair back then.<br>Now, many men from the 70's who had long hair kept letting it all hang out, and today we can see older men with long greying hair. We used to see that only in history books in the 70's, but nowadays we see it on the street(: Aging men with long greying hair. I think that's cool, how strange it woulda looked in 1970.<br><br>(And on another note, I remember the first time I looked at Franks picture on the Yellow Shark. That was a shock! (Plus I wasn't actually aware of how sick he was)).

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 6:26 am 

The thing is that almost all of the people I know that are my age came from double-income families, who more than likely, spent a lot of time at home with out mom or dad there.  However, none of the people I know were out shooting up schools or even getting into much trouble at all.  I think social alienation is probably more of a factor.  Kids who get pushed aside for being nerdy and weird are usually the ones who wind up on the news.  However, I'm not sure how this explains why school shootings are so common now, as I'm sure schools have always had outcasted students.  I think what needs to be put into consideration is whatever other new factors have been added to modern culture since previous generations.  I honestly think that required therapy sessions for teenagers wouldn't be a bad idea.  I think too many teenagers have this idea that there's no such thing as tomorrow.  Too many of these kids think, "Oh, my life sucks," without considering the idea that life changes after high school.  A little cognitive therapy wouldn't hurt these kids.

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 7:06 am 

[quote author=madcow1515 link=board=general;num=1085027194;start=45#47 date=05/22/04 at 09:26:24]  I honestly think that required therapy sessions for teenagers wouldn't be a bad idea.  [/quote]<br><br>Ya know what would be cool, a course on "What Love Is". As Frank was so fond of reminding us, we are a nation retarded about love from listening to too many dopey songs and reading too many fairy tales. So many people think love is a feeling, and they go off and get married based on that, then get let down and sometimes are resentful when reality sets in. We end up with a lot of broken homes. If people had a better Idea of what they were getting into, a lot might change.

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 7:08 am 

I'm starting to warm up to that idea madcow, History, Math, Science, and Life could be the required courses for graduation((:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next