Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 389 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Beatles
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 12:23 am 

Without these guys Music would be a very different today. I don't know how, but it couldn't have been the same - these guys were that influencial.<br><br>I was 10 when they visited Oz in 1964, and I wasn't allowed to go and see them at Sydney Stadium (now long gone) because I was too young.<br><br>About this time our family splashed out and bought a record player and each kid was allowed to choose i record to buy. My brother & sister bought Woody Woodpecker & Bugs Bunny and I got With The Beatles. I have been a music freak ever since. I recently bought the CD version of that album and it still sounds great.<br><br>As the Beatles and their fans matured, so did their musical styles - always setting the pace. They were fantastic, and their music still is.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 3:46 am 

I love the Beatles. Amzing band, amazing song writing and amazing ideas.<br>

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 5:31 am 

..Hey Papagajas... ;D...  The Beatles are/were GREAT, they're one of my favorites...Abbey Road is my favorite album of theirs. In my opinion, Paul and John made the band...their songwriting ability will go unmatched in the years to come.. ;D ;D ;D ;D....Golden Slumbers is my favorite song of theirs...I tried in vain to get the band to do a cover of it, but they weren't Beatle fans... :'( :'(<br><br>P.S.  How was your trip??? any pictures ???

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 5:34 am 

Of course most of us here will think this way to begin with. But really think about it...<br>Lennon and the Beatles were so fucking overrated it's ridiculous. <br>Yippy Fuckin' Skippy... take acid and write songs about a Walrus. Brilliant?? Nope! Fuckin' dumb. <br>People make the argument that they were popular and started a whole "thing". Well then... New Kids On The Block must be greatest fucking thing ever in that case. Same shit... same toliet! Right place right time. Doesn't mean you be that great!<br><br>"Meet The Beatles'?? Hell no!! I say "Fuck The Beatles"!!  <br>Go ahead... Flame away!! hahahahahaha

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 5:41 am 

I owe so much of my musical background to the Beatles. I had just met my best friend,  and he gave me a tape of the White Album. He also taught me how to play guitar by showing me "Here Comes the Sun". I'll be forever grateful to him.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 5:48 am 

[center][glow=purple,2,300]Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band[/glow][/center]<br><br>[center]Image[/center]<br><br>[center]
Quote:
With Revolver, the Beatles made the Great Leap Forward, reaching a previously unheard-of level of sophistication and fearless experimentation. Sgt. Pepper, in many ways, refines that breakthrough, as the Beatles consciously synthesized such disparate influences as psychedelia, art-song, classical music, rock & roll, and music hall, often in the course of one song. Not once does the diversity seem forced — the genius of the record is how the vaudevillian "When I'm 64" seems like a logical extension of "Within You Without You" and how it provides a gateway to the chiming guitars of "Lovely Rita." There's no discounting the individual contributions of each member or their producer George Martin, but the preponderance of whimsy and self-conscious art gives the impression that Paul McCartney is the leader of the Lonely Hearts Club Band. He dominates the album in terms of compositions, setting the tone for the album with his unabashed melodicism and deviously clever arrangements. In comparison, Lennon's contributions seem fewer, and a couple of them are a little slight but his major statements are stunning. "With a Little Help from My Friends" is the ideal Ringo tune, a rolling, friendly pop song that hides genuine Lennon anguish, ala "Help!;" "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" remains one of the touchstones of British psychedelia; and he's the mastermind behind the bulk of "A Day in the Life," a haunting number that skillfuly blends Lennon's verse and chorus with McCartney's bridge. It's possible to argue that there are better Beatles albums, yet no album is as historically important as this. After Sgt. Pepper, there were no rules to follow — rock and pop bands could try anything, for better or worse. Ironically, few tried to achieve the sweeping, all-encompassing embrace of music as the Beatles did here. — Stephen Thomas Erlewine
[/center]<br><br>I want that album....*hrm*<br><br> -/dr_grogg<br><br>

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 5:56 am 

If not for the Beatles, we'd probably be listening to Neil Sedaka's clones for the rest of our lives. Remember, rock was mostly dead in US in 1959. And we couldn't count on Elvis to revive it, too busy making money with awful films.<br><br>The ones who bash the Beatles are probably listening to some music that would have never have seen the light of day if not for the Beatles.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 6:01 am 

[quote author=dr_grogg link=board=general;num=1058088291;start=0#8 date=07/13/03 at 08:48:18][center][glow=purple,2,300]Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band[/glow][/center]<br><br>[center]Image[/center]<br><br>[center]<br>[/center]<br><br>I want that album....*hrm*<br><br> -/dr_grogg<br><br>[/quote]<br><br>I  know someone who has the unopened vinyl of this...  ;D<br><br>

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 6:04 am 

[quote author=suterb link=board=general;num=1058088291;start=0#10 date=07/13/03 at 09:01:40]<br><br>I  know someone who has the unopened vinyl of this...  ;D<br><br>[/quote]<br><br>You shouldn't bee sayin' that.<br><br>Ok, time for long coffeine filled nights sreaching for that within the telephone catalouge.<br><br>GimmeGimmeGimmeGimmeGimmeGimmeGimmeGimmeGimmeGimmeGimmeGimmeGimmeGimmeGimmeGimmeGimmeGimmeGimmeGimmeGimmeGimmeGimmeGimmeGimmeGimmeGimmeGimmeGimmeGimmeGimmeGimmeGimmeGimme<br><br>Ok, nah, I might find it somewhere else.<br><br> -/dr_grogg<br><br><br>

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 8:27 am 

<br> im not going to say a bunch of bad things about the beatles,   because they did obviously write good songs, and they did come out right at a time when it was much needed...   but i have always thought they were the most over-rated band ever.<br> there were lots of bands doing exactly what the beatles were doing in the early sixties, the only difference is that the beatles got the big contract before them.<br><br> i dont hate the beatles...  in fact i own a few of the earlier cds, and a few lps including peppers.<br><br> but  they still were/are the most over-rated band EVER.    (imo)<br><br>  i fully expect my remarks to be ripped apart by a few of you, but hey..someone has to tell it like it is.<br><br>   =)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 11:38 am 

[quote author=jimmie d link=board=general;num=1058088291;start=15#17 date=07/13/03 at 14:25:12]<br>[center]<br>[b]What's your age? Were you a teen, or older, during the 60s?<br><br>Please name one of the<br>"lots of bands doing exactly what the beatles were doing in the early sixties".<br><br>[/center][/quote]<br><br>The Dave Clark Five?  ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 3:17 pm 

The Beatles sold millions of records at a time when we had not much money in our hands. Now kids have Walkman, Nintendo, lots of CDs, computers, Video games, roller blades, etc... <br><br>I agree they were not that great technically but there were not many bands that could come up with all these catchy songs that stood the test of time.<br><br>And having just #1 is like having just 'Strictly commercial' by Frank Zappa. You would lose a lot of the picture.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 389 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next