Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Any SPIRIT Fans?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:04 am 

Just a "heads up"-<br><br>"The Model Shop" soundtrack-<br>originally recorded in 1968 (69?) & then shelved has finally been released-<br><br>I know I can't wait to hear it........<br><br>Image

Post subject: Re: Any SPIRIT Fans?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:47 am 

[quote author=Ronnys Noomies link=board=general;num=1107957874;start=0#3 date=02/09/05 at 06:49:27]Amazon.com has this to say about it:<br><br>SPIRIT —THE GROUNDBREAKING L.A. COMBO EQUALLY swayed by moody jazz and Hendrix-style rock’n’ roll—was born to record movie soundtracks. Unfortunately, they cut only one, for the seldom-seen 1969 Jacques Demy film Model Shop, but what a triumph it is: a magical blend of John Locke’s eerie keyboards, the soaring guitar of Randy California and Jay Ferguson’s impassioned vocals and percussion, backed by the rock-steady bass and drums of Mark Andes and Ed Cassidy. It’s mindboggling that something as dazzling as the Model Shop soundtrack—recorded by the classic Spirit lineup— has been languishing unreleased in the vaults for over 35 years! The stuff of longplaying-legends and vinyl-myths, this full-length album was recorded in late 1968, but the completed master was shelved before release. Rescued from obscurity at last by Sundazed, this much rumored film-score gem is now center-stage where it can take a much deserved bow.<br><br>I see that some of the tunes are new, and some are not. Still, looks very promising.<br>[/quote]<br>i love spirit....12 dreams of dr sardonicus is an absolute classic album, i love it....i got it for £3 as well on sale about 3 years ago, NICE  ;D

Shitface
Shitface Music Page

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:10 am 

[quote author=Lumpy Gravy link=board=general;num=1107957874;start=0#5 date=02/09/05 at 08:02:20]hmmm... Spirit, a legendary band, but I have to admit that I never really got into them that much. They were one of those bands my older brother and his friends used to listen to. And, I certainly picked up on a lot of the records they used to play for me, but Spirit... no, I guess they were an exception to that rule...<br><br>Maybe I should try again.  ::)[/quote]<br>honestly lumpy....get 12 dreams...it's a fantastic album, going by the stuff you listen to already i'd have pretty much bet my new shoes on you liking spirit  :o

Shitface
Shitface Music Page

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 7:38 am 

If it ever was an under-rated band, Spirit wins it easily !<br><br>I'm a fan since I discovered "Twelve dreams of Dr. Sardonicus", back in 71. I bought the previous ones. There's a lot of great tunes. I must admit that, after that period, I don't know.<br><br>And Randy California is a true Hero (if you happen to know how he died, you know what I mean).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 7:54 am 

[quote author=Ronnys Noomies link=board=general;num=1107957874;start=0#11 date=02/09/05 at 09:51:56]<br><br>Yes, he was. As I understand it, he died saving his son, who was apparently drowning in the Pacific. They had been surfing together. Very sad.  :([/quote]<br><br>One of the saddest event to ever happen in the Rock World. They should make a film about him and Spirit. Why not, they did one or two about the Beach Boys, didn't they ?

Post subject: re: any spirit fans?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:23 am 

12 dreams was a great album at the time, but sounds quite dated now; a classic ?  marginal classic at best

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:17 am 

Funny. I don't find it dated. Maybe not too-well recorded (sounds of the late-60s), but certainly not dated. The only criticism I have is about the drummer who's not always tight with the band. Other than that minor thing, they're fine with me.<br><br>But I guess I may not be totaly objective since I dig them.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:38 am 

I aint never heard of Spirit, I may check them out.  :D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:06 pm 

[quote author=TheCentralScrutinizer link=board=general;num=1107957874;start=0#4 date=02/09/05 at 07:47:25]<br>i love spirit....12 dreams of dr sardonicus is an absolute classic album, i love it....i got it for £3 as well on sale about 3 years ago, NICE  ;D[/quote]<br><br>[font=arial]Got this on an old cassette somewhere!! Is it available on that new fangled compact disc format then?[/font]<br>

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:25 pm 

[quote author=BBSNX link=board=general;num=1107957874;start=15#17 date=02/09/05 at 14:06:04]<br><br>[font=arial]Got this on an old cassette somewhere!! Is it available on that new fangled compact disc format then?[/font]<br>[/quote]<br><br>I have it on vinyl and CD.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:28 pm 

Randy California and Spirit were great and he died a hero . Not just a rock hero but a real hero.Bless You Randy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:35 pm 

When 12 years old in 1968 growing up in the Houston, Texas area, my family was on a vacation, and I recognized the members of Spirit staying at the same motel as us. I went up to one of them for an autograph. All I had to write on was my Hardy Boys book. He signed it "John Spirit."<br><br>I don't know whether or not that book is lost. My mother kept a lot of crap.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:26 pm 

Yes, Spirit is good.  Fresh Garbage is one of my favorite tunes.  I don't how heavily I would get into them, though.  I have a nice compilation which I think is enough for me.  Unless someone could convince me of the error of my ways. :D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:26 pm 

Spirit was from Houston, right?<br><br>Anyway, the songwriting, arranging, and production struck me as top-notch, and pretty darn original. Very grown-up - for some reason I didn't want to write "professional." Like FZ comes out with Freak Out! - never publicly going through a period of sounding rinky-dink.<br><br>I Got A Line On You reminds me in a way of Boyce-Hart's Last Train To Clarksville, such a complete pop song beautifully recorded.

Post subject: re: any spirit fans?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:34 pm 

[quote author=jimmie d link=board=general;num=1107957874;start=15#21 date=02/09/05 at 16:17:09][center]<br><br>Well, can we at least properly call it a "Cult Classic"?[/center][/quote]<br>ok, cult classic it is...it sits right up there with other art rock cult classics:
  • klatuu
  • ambrosia
  • audience
  • argent
  • etc