Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 3:19 am 

[quote author=swiftkicknow link=board=general;num=1080512401;start=0#4 date=03/28/04 at 19:19:25]Quite a story, Wife. Jesus. I'm reminded of a movie...<br>Image<br>If you hear banjos next time, GET OUT OF THERE FAST!!![/quote]<br><br> ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D<br>

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 8:17 pm 

[quote author=Noah link=board=general;num=1080512401;start=0#12 date=03/29/04 at 06:08:27]Wow Gypsy.  That was a really horrific story.   It sure don't leave you with that life affirming feeling.[/quote]<br>I know...   :'(<br><br>
Quote:
I know of so many stories abou these arranged marriages, it's not just the religion, refusing means shunning your family as well.  It sucks but in the end, like Frank says, if you let any religion blablabla it's your own fault.
<br>Do you know what I was thinking after I typed that post the other night?  I was wondering how my former co-worker's marriage was NOW.  (Shortly after she got married, we both got different jobs and lost contact with each other.)  Wouldn't it be QUITE "ironic" if...she was very happy being married to him, now, despite the fact that the marriage was "arranged"...and I am miserable in my marriage despite the fact that mine was not?<br><br>
Quote:
What happened with that doctor though is just vile.   It's just so horrible.
<br> :'(   :'(   :'(<br><br>Gypsy Moon Dream<br>

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 8:19 pm 

[quote author=dove_grey link=board=general;num=1080512401;start=15#15 date=03/29/04 at 07:01:37]how insecure in your manhood do you gotta be to mutilate the most holy of holies on a woman's body? Truely sick.[/quote]<br>QUITE "insecure" to say the LEAST!   >:(<br><br>Gypsy Moon Dream<br>

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 8:28 pm 

[quote author=TheCentralScrutinizer link=board=general;num=1080512401;start=15#25 date=03/30/04 at 04:45:18]the gangsters, the drugs 'n the bitches....gotta love dem bitches[/quote]<br>You got my number, homes!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 11:21 pm 

As i've been living here in France for the past 13 years, i've had many many discussions with the locals about "what it's like in Canada" and many many discussions about those "Fucking Americans". I find myself protecting americans in these discussions because the view from here is so over simplefied. <br>I'll hear people say if you're an american you can't get sick cause you can't afford a doctor anyway. And you have to be careful who your talking to because he/she might be carrying a gun, etc...etc... Most people's view of america is what they glean off movies and tv shows. I've met people who believe that the tv show Dallas was some kind of reality show,and that everyone in Texas lives that way. I refuse to discuss the present government and/or politics with anyone here. Everyone agrees that americans are governed by The largest Assholes to have roamed the earth.<br><br>When i look at the differences between Canadian' view of America and France' view. In France there is a kind of split personnality, the french think america is stupid but at the same time they are kind of jelous of their free society, the Empire building since WWII, everything is bigger and better, they invent and sell things well etc....<br><br>As for us Canadians we just think america is stupid ! Being forced to swallow their culture on a daily basis we know WE KNOW just how lame (some/most) of american society is.<br><br>But i have many long time friends in the States who also know that there are major flaws in their society. They just consider them to be less numerous than the good parts, or they don't really care. Which is a shame because that means it will get worse before it get's better.<br><br>Lastly check out the march National Geographic article on China. There's a table comparing US and China. It shows to what extent the U.S. is gobbing up our ressources as if there was no end in sight. When the Chinese get up to par were in for real trouble. Scary as fuck.<br><br>I still think it's the golf courses though! Got to love them golf courses....<br>

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 4:07 am 

[quote author=LumpyGravy link=board=general;num=1080512401;start=15#26 date=03/30/04 at 05:03:02]Thanksgiving and Christmas. The way some people overdo it at Christmas..., with all the colored lights on their houses and plastic Santas in the gardens... it's cheesy but nicely displayed...  ;)<br>[/quote]<br><br>We had this plastic Santa head about a half a meter tall that hung on the side of the house, and it had a light bulb inside that lit it up real cool. It was around before me, so it's an early childhood memory...till one year...My dog Fido got a hold of it, tore it off the house and tore the plastic into a million pieces. He musta hated that thing cuz no piece was left larger than 3 millimeters, (lol, either that, or Fido was a closet JW :o).<br>

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 8:23 pm 

[quote author=LumpyGravy link=board=general;num=1080512401;start=15#26 date=03/30/04 at 05:03:02]I've been living in Maryland for 18 months now. And, I like it here. The landscape reminds me of the part of Sweden where I'm from, and the weather is pretty much the same too. Although, the winter is shorter here, and that's good, and the summer is (obviously) longer, and that's good too.[/quote]<br>And...it's close to New Jersey.   ;)  (OK, OK so...maybe that's a BAD thing about Maryland!   :P  *giggle*)<br><br>
Quote:
"So, what language do you speak over there?" And, I said, trying not to laugh too much: "Well, it's called Swedish...". And she said; "Oh, I thought everybody in Europe spoke English, too."  ;D <br>(What do they teach the kids at school?)
<br>Obviously NOT enough about other countries...eh?   ::)<br><br>
Quote:
But, a lot of you actually know some stuff too. You know about Volvo and Saab,
<br>My mother was in a MAJOR accident (not her fault) back in the '80's and I SWEAR...if she was NOT driving a Volvo station-wagon...she would NOT be here, today!  Instead...she walked away (painfully...but, nevertheless, walking) from the accident with a few bruises on her legs and a sprained neck.  You guys sure DO know how to make a Hell of a car...THAT'S for sure!  THANK YOU!!!   :D<br><br>
Quote:
and you know about the Swedish women...  ;)
<br>Well...you were (quite literally) SURROUNDED by them...and you married an American Woman!   ;)  Score one for OUR "team", Girls!   ;D<br><br>
Quote:
Everything is always open!
<br>Yep!  24-hour Capitalism!  ;)<br><br>Gypsy Moon Dream<br>

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 9:14 pm 

[glow=red,2,300][font=Verdana]WELL...[/font][/glow]  <br>Image,Image [glow=red,2,300]and[/glow]<br>Image<br>[glow=red,2,300]SORRY, WHEN I THINK UV SUMPIN ELSE ILL...remember why i live here and not...[/glow] ;D<br><br>edit:my in-n-out pic disappeared ???

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 10:11 pm 

What I like In America ? America is both North and South America. I think that here you refer to USA.<br>I have never been in USA (shame on me !) and all I know is from literature, music, breaking news etc.<br>I like:<br>1 - music (all kinds, but in particular jazz would not exist without USA);<br>2 - cinema (and don't forget that I love monstermovies...etc.);<br>3 - electric guitars (I play double bass but looking at some Gibsons I really would like to play guitar !);<br>4 - the direct contact US people I have the occasion to meet establish with me and other "complex" europeans.<br><br>There are certainly many other things. Sorry US friends if I forget something important.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 10:37 pm 

[quote author=monstermovie link=board=general;num=1080512401;start=30#36 date=04/03/04 at 00:11:44]What I like In America ? America is both North and South America. I think that here you refer to USA.<br>I have never been in USA (shame on me !) and all I know is from literature, music, breaking news etc.<br>I like:<br>1 - music (all kinds, but in particular jazz would not exist without USA)[/quote][font=Verdana] [glow=green,2,300]YARD BIRD[/glow]Image[/font]<br>Image 8)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 10:41 pm 

[quote author=Citizen of Canarsie link=board=general;num=1080512401;start=30#37 date=04/03/04 at 00:37:46]<br>[font=Verdana] [glow=green,2,300]YARD BIRD[/glow]Image[/font]<br>[/quote]<br><br>Oh, Thanks Citizen. :) :)<br>Billie's Bounce recalls me some 31 years ago when I tried to learn it on double-bass. It's the first Bird's theme I learned to play.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 11:39 pm 

its refreshing to hear somebody refer to it as a double-bass 8)       Im used to non-muso's calling it a "stand-up" ...     thats ignorance for yuh... but i gotta ask [center][glow=black,2,300]does<br>anyone<br>still<br>call<br>it<br>an<br>upright<br>besides me? ;D[/glow][/center]jus wunderin :P

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 1:03 am 

[quote author=Citizen of Canarsie link=board=general;num=1080512401;start=30#39 date=04/04/04 at 01:39:26]its refreshing to hear somebody refer to it as a double-bass 8)       Im used to non-muso's calling it a "stand-up" ...     thats ignorance for yuh... but i gotta ask [center][glow=black,2,300]does<br>anyone<br>still<br>call<br>it<br>an<br>upright<br>besides me? ;D[/glow][/center]jus wunderin :P[/quote]<br><br>You know, I am not a native English speaker.<br>I thought it is a synonym. <br>In any case on record sleeve notes you still can read double-bass, or simply bass. I have never read of upright bass on sleeve notes.<br>

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 9:06 am 

[center]A photo of care instructions (in English and French) from a Seattle-made laptop bag.<br>Image<br>The last lines of the French instructions read[/center]<br><br>'We are sorry that our President is an idiot. We didn't vote for him.'

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 9:16 am 

THIS IS, BY FAR, THE MOST ILARIOUS THING I SAW IN THE LAST 10 YEARS.<br>BUT......IT'S REAL OR IT'S FAKE ?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 9:29 am 

[quote author=monstermovie link=board=general;num=1080512401;start=30#43 date=04/06/04 at 12:16:44]THIS IS, BY FAR, THE MOST ILARIOUS THING I SAW IN THE LAST 10 YEARS.<br>BUT......IT'S REAL OR IT'S FAKE ?[/quote]<br><br>heres the alleged maker http://tombihn.com/

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 9:37 am 

Simply ilarious.<br>I will post this to a lot of friends.<br>Never seen something like this.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 10:13 am 

[quote author=Citizen of Canarsie link=board=general;num=1080512401;start=30#39 date=04/04/04 at 01:39:26]its refreshing to hear somebody refer to it as a double-bass 8)       Im used to non-muso's calling it a "stand-up" ...     thats ignorance for yuh... but i gotta ask does anyone still call it an upright besides me? jus wunderin :P[/quote]<br><br>I've heard 'em called "doghouses," too. I can't remember if that was jazz slang or bluegrass slang.<br>

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 6:54 pm 

[quote author=LumpyGravy link=board=general;num=1080512401;start=30#41 date=04/05/04 at 05:52:07]It is close to New Jersey, and that's a good thing! Look out, Gypsy, I might come knockin' on your door one of these days... (together with my wife, of course!)  ;)[/quote]<br>Of COURSE!  I would LOVE to meet "Lumpy Gravy" and his VERY special Woman...who has the POWER to charm a Man from halfway across the Earth to pack up all of his belongings and start a new Life with her here!  :D<br><br>Maybe...I'll plan a little "day-trip" down to Maryland myself.  I've always wanted to visit Edgar Allen Poe's tomb in Baltimore.  :)<br><br>
Quote:
Maybe not enough about their own even sometimes...
<br>(*sigh*)  THAT'S for damn sure!   ::)<br><br>
Quote:
I'm glad to hear that! And, Volvo invented the airbag too!
<br>"YAY" to the Swedes for that, too!  :D  And...while I'm at it..."thanks" for ABBA, as well!  ;D  (*giggle*)<br><br>
Quote:
Well, it's their loss... they can be sorry now!  ;) (That's what my wife say...)
<br>I like your wife's "attitude".  :)<br><br>
Quote:
Oh yeah! Hallelujah!  ;)
<br>Amen to THAT, Brother!  ;D<br><br>Gypsy Moon Dream<br>

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 6:59 pm 

[quote author=Citizen of Canarsie link=board=general;num=1080512401;start=30#39 date=04/04/04 at 01:39:26]its refreshing to hear somebody refer to it as a double-bass 8)       Im used to non-muso's calling it a "stand-up" ...     thats ignorance for yuh.[/quote]<br>I usually hear it referred to as a "contrabass".  Is that "correct"?   :-/<br><br>Gypsy Moon Dream<br>

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 8:12 pm 

[quote author=GypsyDream link=board=general;num=1080512401;start=45#48 date=04/06/04 at 21:59:26]<br>I usually hear it referred to as a "contrabass".  Is that "correct"?   :-/<br><br>Gypsy Moon Dream<br>[/quote]<br><br>I personally have never heard this in English. But this normal to me.<br>Of course, in Italian is contrabbasso and in French contre-basse.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 7:55 am 

[quote author=LumpyGravy link=board=general;num=1080512401;start=45#50 date=04/07/04 at 10:40:43]And, you're welcome to come to Maryland any time! 8)[/quote]<br><br>I forgot what part you're from. Is it near Hagerstown? If so, I could stop by if I ever visit my friend Josh. I guess I could eve see jimmie d (if he's home ;)).<br>

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next